Walleye Weight Formula?

• Profile photo of joe-scegurajoe-scegura
    Participant
    Central MN

I was wondering if anyone knows the formula for calculating a walleye weight? Length and Girth? I found quite a few calculators online but most of them are WAY off. Walleye Central has one that’s pretty accurate, but I’d like to know the formula. Any one have any suggestions?

Profile photo of mike_utleymike_utley
    Participant
    Zumbrota, MN

length X length x length divided by 2700

Participant
    Onamia, MN

Multiply length times girth squared. Then divide by 800 to get weight in lbs. Has worked well compared when compared to my Rapala digital scale.

Participant
    St. Paul, Mn

I’ve caught 25 inch fish that pushed 7.5 lbs. I’ve caught 29 inch fish that were a shade over 6 lbs. Here is my basic guide that is as close as any formula:

25 inch = 5 lbs
    26 inch = 6 lbs
    27 inch = 7 lbs
    28 inch = 8 lbs
    29 inch = 9 lbs
    30 inch = 10 lbs

-J.

Profile photo of big_gbig_g
    Participant
    St. Cloud / Isle, MN

Jons is fairly accurate… for spring I would subtract about 1/2 lb. for spawned out

big G

Profile photo of jason_sullivanjason_sullivan
    Participant
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Joe-

Here is the chart the MN Walleye Searchers use.

Chart

Sully

Profile photo of joe-scegurajoe-scegura
    Participant
    Central MN

Thanks guys, Jon your scale is what I normally go by but if you get one that’s either skinny or super girthy it’d be nice to know roughly what it weighed. I caught a 31″ x 18″ on the Rainy River that went 13.0 lbs even. Based off of my calculations the formula Don Miller posted (Girth X Girth X Length divided by 800) came very close. I don’t weigh a lot of fish so I don’t have any other examples to test out this formula.

If any one catches a big walleye give this formula a try I’d love to hear how close it is. Thanks for the help guys.
    guys.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.