Three way rigs with crankbaits

• SHONW

What are some good crank baits to use with three way rigs. I have a bunch of husky jerks and was wondering what others are using.

Thanks

jhalfen

Small husky jerks (the 6s or 8s) will work nicely. I like Rapala original floaters (7s and 9s), similar sized Storm Thundersticks, or Rapala shallow shad raps (5s).

flatfish
    Rochester, MN

And what would you say is the minimum size weight you used in running this rig on the river?

Outdraft
    Western Wi.

X2,shallow runners for me,don’t be afraid to try larger sizes as well,it’s either eat or be eaten on the river

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

Quote:

And what would you say is the minimum size weight you used in running this rig on the river?

I pack 1oz-6oz in my box. The latter half I use for 3 ways and pole lining. Different flows and different depths require different weights. The general rule of thumb in less than a 45deg. angle on the main line.

francisco4
    Holmen, WI

Quote:

I have run up to 8ozs. with success. The smallest I usually use is a 2oz.

FDR

jhalfen

I admit that I am a power troller when it comes to 3-ways and cranks. My typical combination of boat speed, depth targeted, and current in those areas usually means 3-4 oz for me.

francisco4
    Holmen, WI

Quote:

Quote:

I have run up to 8ozs. with success. The smallest I usually use is a 2oz.

FDR

I forgot to mention that I like to hold my rods….so I am really sore after pulling those 8’s around for a day.

FDR

flatfish
    Rochester, MN

SHONW: sorry ~ didn’t mean to hijack your thread but I knew I was never getting the cranks down, but thought I was nuts at even two ounces, but know I know> Thanks everyone

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

I’ve got a question pertaining to this. How long a leader do you usually run from the 3-way to the bait? 6′ or so?

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

Ah, nevermind….I found what I was looking for. Here are some great pictures that were posted by James.

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

Some days even the dropper length makes a big difference. I was on pool 5 a couple of weeks a go and had to go to a 34″ inch dropper. Noticed the fish were not hugging bottom. Longer dropper was the only way I got bit.

This day HJ`s were the only bait getting bit. I really like the Jr. Thundersticks late fall and early spring for me they have out fished my Rapalas about 5-1.

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Quote:

Ah, nevermind….I found what I was looking for. Here are some great pictures that were posted by James.

Brain can you post the link to that thread please?

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

Quote:

Brain can you post the link to that thread please?

Yup, no problem, here it is. 3 waying

If I was using my ‘brain’ I woulda done that earlier.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.