Three way rigs with crankbaits

Participant

What are some good crank baits to use with three way rigs. I have a bunch of husky jerks and was wondering what others are using.

Thanks

Participant

Small husky jerks (the 6s or 8s) will work nicely. I like Rapala original floaters (7s and 9s), similar sized Storm Thundersticks, or Rapala shallow shad raps (5s).

Participant

And what would you say is the minimum size weight you used in running this rig on the river?

Participant

X2,shallow runners for me,don’t be afraid to try larger sizes as well,it’s either eat or be eaten on the river

Avatar of mark-bruzek mark-bruzek 
    Participant
    Quote:

And what would you say is the minimum size weight you used in running this rig on the river?

I pack 1oz-6oz in my box. The latter half I use for 3 ways and pole lining. Different flows and different depths require different weights. The general rule of thumb in less than a 45deg. angle on the main line.

Participant

Quote:

I have run up to 8ozs. with success. The smallest I usually use is a 2oz.

FDR

Participant

I admit that I am a power troller when it comes to 3-ways and cranks. My typical combination of boat speed, depth targeted, and current in those areas usually means 3-4 oz for me.

Participant

Quote:

Quote:

I have run up to 8ozs. with success. The smallest I usually use is a 2oz.

FDR

I forgot to mention that I like to hold my rods….so I am really sore after pulling those 8′s around for a day.

FDR

Participant

SHONW: sorry ~ didn’t mean to hijack your thread but I knew I was never getting the cranks down, but thought I was nuts at even two ounces, but know I know> Thanks everyone

Participant

I also like to BB heavy, mostly use 3 & 4 oz. If I’m running more than 4 rods, I’ll use linecounters and stage the rods so the fronts are running 6 or 8 oz and then step the BB weight down with each set of rods going to the back of the boat. I like using shorter rods in the front and longer rods in the back.

Usually I use sets of 6, 4 and 2 once bouncers, sometimes I bump one rod set or more up or down and ounce depending on the bite and # of tangles. You’ll obviously need to forgo the rule of 45 degrees to some degree to get all 6 set on bottom. Usually my front rods are nearly straight down ticking bottom. Back rods are running more like 30 degrees with the water. Some days you’ll pick up fish on all the rods, others only the longs or shorts will be kicking up fish.

Kinda off topic.. From my limited handlining experience, the little baits are often the way to go when heavy bb. I’ve gotten some nice fish on the smallest (tiny) rapala baits. I know others that handline a bit and they have the same opinion on the small baits. Big baits are good too

Participant

I’ve got a question pertaining to this. How long a leader do you usually run from the 3-way to the bait? 6′ or so?

Participant

Ah, nevermind….I found what I was looking for. Here are some great pictures that were posted by James.

Participant

Some days even the dropper length makes a big difference. I was on pool 5 a couple of weeks a go and had to go to a 34″ inch dropper. Noticed the fish were not hugging bottom. Longer dropper was the only way I got bit.

This day HJ`s were the only bait getting bit. I really like the Jr. Thundersticks late fall and early spring for me they have out fished my Rapalas about 5-1.

Avatar of Steve Plantz Steve Plantz 
    Participant

Quote:

Ah, nevermind….I found what I was looking for. Here are some great pictures that were posted by James.

Brain can you post the link to that thread please?

Participant

Quote:

Brain can you post the link to that thread please?

Yup, no problem, here it is. 3 waying

If I was using my ‘brain’ I woulda done that earlier.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

HP 542011c58a8b9 LIST