big buddy heater and 20lb tank

• mikev

I want to hook up my big buddy heater to a 20 lb tank, my question is do I need to purchase a regulator for it as well, or can I just hook up the gas hose, directions don’t seem very clear. I did purchase the inline filter for it.

lookin4fish

no regulator needed, just the inline filter

ederd
    Northeast Iowa, Randalia

I bought the kwik-couple hose and with it I don’t need the inline filter, but if you just buy the hose to connect where the 1# tanks hook up you need the filter.

Ed

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

No reg needed. If u haven’t used it yet u will probly find that it does not put out the amount of heat u expected.
    My personal advice, return and get sunflower.

mikev

thanks for the quick replies, I also do have a sunflower, just looking for something maybe a little safer. Again thanks for the help…

lookin4fish

I have had the big buddy for 3 years now and would never go back to a sunflower. i get less headaches from the output, quieter, and a bit safer in my opinion. I ran a mr heater cooker for about 12 years before the buddy. no doubt the sunflower type is more durable than the buddy but being a bit more careful is worth the benifits. The buddy does not put out the heat I would like when running of 1 lbsers, but hooked up to the 20 lbser, it works great. i say give it a try.

col._klink
    St Paul

Quote:

If u haven’t used it yet u will probably find that it does not put out the amount of heat u expected.

After I bought my big buddy I tossed the headache machine (Sunflower) in the trash! The only thing I miss from that thing is roasting wieners and burning my arms a couple times a year when in battle.

muskychaser
    Prescott, Wi

Love the Buddy, I miss the headaches and melting my coat shack, line ect.

huskyjerk
    Swea City, Iowa

In my opinion(which doesn’t mean much) Buddy heaters suck!! If you plan on traveling with them in your sled, make them a bed. IMO Seems like they take forever to light too?? I can understand it for the safety reason, but thats the only reason.

ggoody
    Mpls MN

Based on my current on going test in it’s 5th year neither a regulator or FILTER is needed. At this point there is no doubt in my mind the filter is a scam to make money.. again this is just my opinion based on my real world testing the Big and Regular Buddy heaters without failure. Frankly I’ve seen more problems with Buddys that are using the filter. The quick disconnect is the cats meow.

ggoody
    Mpls MN

No doubt the Mr Heater Cookers/sunflower heaters are more reliable and put out more heat. I certainly don’t blame the people that have had constant problems/failures and end up freezing with the Buddy heaters bashing them. But like mentioned above the no smell, no noise, no headache, safety, smaller footprint and not having anything that comes within 6 inches of the Sunflowers DESTROYED the Buddy kicks butt.
    On long trips I also have the Cooker with but it rarely gets used because of the Buddys superior benefits…

Mike Klein
    Hastings, MN

Ditto on the filter

rljohnson020

I have had a buddy heater(the smaller one) fail due to not using a filter. So I believe the filter is needed. I also have a big biddy heater and my gripe with it is when using the 2 one pound tanks, the heater will go out and the non primary tank of the 2 is still about a third full! The 20 pound tank is the way to go.

Bob Gordon
    Washington,IL

I have one hooked up to a 5 pound tank with no regulator. I’ve had it for years.

AllenW
    Mpls, MN

Maybe a little tip, I did find if I put the 20#’r in a plastic milk crate like the milk delivery guys use it fits fairly snug and is both easier to carry and stay upright better.

You can also tie it down easier with bungee cords..imho

Al

cshunt1
    Eagan, MN

i’d use their fuel filter if nothing more than peace of mind. i know the first models required it, but i think the internal regulators have been overhauled it in the last few years or so.

85lund
    Menomonie, WI

Quote:

No reg needed. If u haven’t used it yet u will probly find that it does not put out the amount of heat u expected.

x2 sunflower and 20 lb tank

donnie call

Does it matter wit h side I hook the hose on a 20 pound take on the big buddy heater

deertracker

I believe The heater says the right side. Not sure if it really matters though.
    DT

Mocha
    Park Rapids

Does it matter wit h side I hook the hose on a 20 pound take on the big buddy heater

Look inside both to spot the quick coupler.

catnip
    south metro

I have noticed that my big buddy heater puts out less heat with the filter . Dont know if I will use the filter this year or not?

The big buddy runs best using the quick connect hose with regulator. No filter is needed. The quick connect allows you to bleed the line for quicker light ups and gives better fuel pressure IMO.

guthook1
    Lake Nebagamon Wisconsin

If you already have a 20# tank to hook up to your Buddy heater your all set. On the advice of someone that I think knows, I also use the filter. If you are going to purchase a tank, give the tall 11# tank a look – lighter and fits tightly in one of those taller white pickle buckets and the hose wraps around inside of the top of the bucket. I only have a regular size Buddy to heat my Otter Pro Cabin – tank stays outside and hose connects to Buddy inside.
    bestfishes – jim

Michael Saal
    Merrill, Wi

fishwater how are you bleeding the quick connect? I heard that could be done for faster lights. I run mine off a 5lb tank.

MnPat1

My friends have all switched to buddy heaters. It was much more amusing watching them burn there fish house,clothing and gear with the sunflower. It’s easy to tell who owns a sunflower just look for burn holes in everything.
    I must be really lucky as I have never had one problem with a buddy heater ever. It’s the only heater I have used for over ten years. Filter, no filter, or one pound tanks no issues.
    A shot of compressed air to clean the tile out every year is all they need.

gonehunting

fishwater how are you bleeding the quick connect? I heard that could be done for faster lights. I run mine off a 5lb tank.

Inside the quick connect there is a small metal nipple. Once you turn the gas on you can depress the nipple with a screw driver, key etc to bleed the line. This is what I do and not a recommended method. That being said use some common sense and put out the grill or cigarette before trying this. Works well for me every time. This works well as the quick connect hose is usually 12 ft. I believe. They should make a 3 or 6ft version for us ice anglers. I will say that the biggest problem people have with buddy heaters are that they are not patient enough. It takes time to get the gas to the pilot. Sometimes 1-1.5 minutes. Also in the off season make sure to cover the heater to keep insects and dust from building up inside the heater. One spider web can effect the operation of these units. Blow out with an air hose every once in awhile Another issue is guys fishing in -15F or colder and expecting 1lb tanks to work. You must keep the 1lb tanks warmer than you would a 20lb tank. On Lake Winnipeg I keep four 1lb tanks in a thermal cooler after keeping in the hotel room over night. Ensures heaters will light when brutally cold out. The buddy heater is probably the best investment I’ve made for ice fishing outside a thermal shelter or gas auger.

Michael Saal
    Merrill, Wi

Thanks gonehunting I kind of thought that is what is needed to do, just wanted to be sure.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.