Lake Calhoun Airplane Landing

• brad0383
    Participant
    Farmington, MN

So these guys that land their airplanes on Lake Calhoun to go and grab lunch get fined by the Park Police. They did not break any FAA regulations. Wouldn’t this fall under the “all water in MN is public property” law? I don’t see how they did anything wrong. No different then a float plane landing on a lake in the summer.

Grouse_Dog
    Participant
    The Shores of Lake Harriet

Ah no….

This is a non-motorized, Minneapolis City Park lake.

No ATV’s, No Snowmobiles, No gas powered boats.

So, I would guess a landing by a plane would be a violation of this law. It is not an FAA law, its a Minneapolis Law as this lake is considered City Park Property. There are no private residences on the lake.

It is different than landing on other lakes with private property that borders it.

Give me a break, dude.

Dog

pockets
    Participant
    Golden Valley, MN

If only the police spent their time keeping the park safe, rather than bother a couple of guys out having a good time…

garvi
    Participant
    LACROSSE WI

I think giving a ticket to a plane landing on the ice is in a sense keeping the park safe.

Steve Plantz
    Participant
    SE MN

Here is the story on WCCO…..

LINK

“The FAA inspected the planes and the pilots’ licenses to make sure they could take off.”

Wade Boardman
    Participant
    Grand Rapids, MN

Quote:

If only the police spent their time keeping the park safe, rather than bother a couple of guys out having a good time…

X2 Go bother some real criminals. The guys made a mistake. Give them a warning and send them on their way.

pockets
    Participant
    Golden Valley, MN

Quote:

I think giving a ticket to a plane landing on the ice is in a sense keeping the park safe.

Really?

How about starting by putting some more police around in the summer. I think walking around North Commons park is a safer choice. I hope these guys fight the tickets.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I’m a bit confuse as normal.

I thought all waters in MN are public waters even if it’s surrounded by private land. They didn’t trespass to gain access or exit the lake.

I doubt they will fight the tickets. Time spent, lawyer fees…it’s less expensive to just pay the tickets.

At least they didn’t have their plans seized as the fella did on Red Lake a number of years ago.

brad0383
    Participant
    Farmington, MN

Quote:

I’m a bit confuse as normal.

I thought all waters in MN are public waters even if it’s surrounded by private land. They didn’t trespass to gain access or exit the lake.

I doubt they will fight the tickets. Time spent, lawyer fees…it’s less expensive to just pay the tickets.

At least they didn’t have their plans seized as the fella did on Red Lake a number of years ago.

Exactly, all waters are public waters. They could fight these tickets without lawyers. Print out the water laws page and off to court.

ggoody
    Participant
    Mpls MN

Love it what a cool story.

It’s a pretty good fine and and rightfully so also they have a ZERO percent chance to win if they’re dumb enough to fight it!

You need a permit they didn’t have one….

suzuki
    Participant
    Woodbury, Mn

Lets hope they dont fight it. At least we can still use gas augers on designated non-motorized lakes. If these yahoos use that angle it could jeopardize that luxery.
    Heck, I just fished a non-motorized lake recently that allowed vehicle access and that is getting very scarce these days.

armchairdeity
    Participant
    Phoenix, AZ, formerly from the NW 'Burbs, Minneapolis, MN, USA

Good god, what total igit goes landing a plane ANYWHERE in the City without knowing what the rules and regulations are? If you’re gonna land a plane somewhere in town **that’s not an airstrip**, you call the freakin city and make sure it’ll be ok! They’re licensed, they should have known better. Apparently they had a passenger, which means they had more than a basic license, too. They did something dumb and got nailed for it.

Honestly they deserve at least a ticket and they sure as hell are lucky they’re not in jail and still own their airplanes.

That said, it sounds like the fine itself is pretty variable, and the police acknowledged that they were very cooperative… it sounds like they should be able to appeal the amount of the fine. I don’t suppose these guys are going to be repeat offenders…

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

You guys are right. If I was a pilot I would be expected to know the rules of the road so to speak.

Since I’m not a pilot (lucky for you guys) it seems odd to need a permit to land on a public waterway.

KirtH
    Participant
    Lakeville

Brain if you were a pilot i would ride with you I have seen pics of your driving abilities at Everts with various vehicles doesnt seem to bother Dean

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Kirt, my rebuttal is in the Live From P4 thread in the Mississippi River Walleye forum from yesterday.

I like to stay one jab ahead of you.

AllenW
    Participant
    Mpls, MN

I’ve rode with Kirt, not so sure I’d take what he said as a compliment…

Not sure, but on one of the news casts they mentioned a permit or restriction for flying over the city, I’m assuming at a lower attitude maybe…sounded something like that anyway. ???

Al..who thinks they’ll pay their fine and talk about it for years…:)

cougareye
    Participant
    Hudson, WI

CCO had a report this am that said the restaurant they visited is naming a burger in their honor and raising money for their defense fund.

Burger will be named the “Mile High” burger!

ET

AllenW
    Participant
    Mpls, MN

Anybody know which resturant they went to?

Al

AllenW
    Participant
    Mpls, MN

Quote:

Al, they went to Burger Jones.

Thanks, all new stuff up in that area since my days of cruising Porky’s
    If its good enough to fly in to, maybe worth going to…I’ll drive my truck though..:)

Al

18fisher
    Participant
    Hastings,MN

Fyi, the city uses a snowmobile to groom the trails on this lake. I just drove by the guy grooming them:)

FYI(2) very good burger joint, well worth the plane ride:)

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.