Soaking fish in Milk?

• pool-8-lax
    La Crosse Wisconsin

Does anybody soak fish in milk over night before you fry it?

Bob Bowman
    MN

I soak my fish in beer for about an hour or two prior to cooking it. Its amazing

walleye1274
    Chippewa Falls, WI

I have been doing the same with beer. It is very good.

85lund
    Menomonie, WI

I have a few buddies that will soak fillets in milk before cooking. I have never tried it. For those of you who do what does it do? My one buddy soaks pike saying it gets rid of the fishy taste.

E Ashwell
    Apple Valley, MN

It really works for taking away that fishy taste some despise. I know some like that “natural” taste but I find soaking the fillets in milk really mellows out the fishy taste and makes for fantastic eating. I’d like to give the beer a shot one of these days. Below is a recent caught Eye’ taking a quick milk bath.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

I do it with any and all river walleyes / sauger I keep to help knock down the fishy taste those fillets can have.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I generally soak my liver with beer for about an hour before eating. If done right, the FW doesn’t pick up on the fishiness.

Never used anything to soak my fish in except Crisco!

garvi
    LACROSSE WI

In Wisconsin it’s all ways beer before milk

We keep all the beer and ship most of the milk out

AllenW
    Mpls, MN

Seems to work well especially with frozen fish, I’ll soak the filets over night.
    Usually just rinse fresh fish well with water.

Little egg/milk wash and half and half flour and fryin’n magic and into the oil they go.

Al

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

I have never done it with fish. But if I have a poorer cut of meat like round steak I will soak it in milk for a good 48 hours. The enzymes in the milk break down the meat and makes it so tender.

big-bird
    Prescott, WI

Quote:

I generally soak my liver with beer for about an hour before eating. If done right, the FW doesn’t pick up on the fishiness.

Never used anything to soak my fish in except Crisco!

Czech
    Cottage Grove, MN

I soak all my fish in beer. In my belly.

big_g
    Isle, MN

I don’t soak em in milk, but will use a Egg/Milk wash, before shake coating. Now I am hungry I also soak them in generous amounts of Beer in the belly

big G

jerrj01
    Hudson, WI

I think there are a lot of folks on this website that soak their liver in beer along with their kidneys and other organs as well.

Czech
    Cottage Grove, MN

And the problem is?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.