Controlling speed of electric motor

• James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Guys

I’m looking for suggestions on the best way to control the speed of an electric motor. I know, I know… I could reduce the final speed through gears / pulleys… I REALLY don’t want to go that route due to space limitations. This motor will be required to turn a very light load. Is there a quick / clean way to have variable speed control on a motor like this one?

web page

Thanks in advance.

jon_jordan
    Participant
    St. Paul, Mn

I’d go to Menards and get a variable control switch used for a cieling fan. Looks and works like a dimmer switch.

-J.

brad0383
    Participant
    Farmington, MN

Quote:

I’d go to Menards and get a variable control switch used for a cieling fan. Looks and works like a dimmer switch.

-J.

Be careful, make sure that it can handle the power requirements. The motor in that link you posted was 828 watts.

Jesse Krook
    Participant
    Y.M.H.

Quote:

-J.

I dont think that a ceiling fan switch is recommended click on the link I pasted above got some good info for the same question

francisco4
    Participant
    Holmen, WI

I got a call into my Dad. We use to have one with an adjustable speed for roasting pigs. I will see if he can dig it up and get you some specifics.

FDR

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

Quote:

-J.

Be careful, make sure that it can handle the power requirements. The motor in that link you posted was 828 watts.

I can downsize the motor, too. In all honesty I could get by with a 1/8 hp motor… or maybe even smaller. The load on the motor will be very small.

nic-habeck
    Participant
    Lake Mills, WI

Looking for steps in speed or to have full adjustability from off to full rpm?

What are you using it for?

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

Looking for steps in speed or to have full adjustability from off to full rpm?

What are you using it for?

I would prefer to have full adjustability but if I could get speed steps that went from off to slow with SUPER SLOW somewhere in between I’d be a happy guy.

I’m building a turn table for an upcoming studio shoot. We need 360 shots for a particular project we’re working on and a SLOWLY rotating turn table would be the ideal solution.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

As long as I have your guy’s attention has anyone seen a place where you can buy electric motors smaller than 1/4 hp?

chris-tuckner
    Participant
    Hastings/Isle MN

Go to or call Grangers and tell them what you need. They can hook you up with a rheostat or a geared down motor for the job.

ottomatica
    Participant
    Lino Lakes, MN

For a cheap solution I think you want a Rheostat. Here’s one that can handle up to 3 amps:

Rheostat

PM me, I do motor control for a living (unfortunately not AC motor control) but I should be able to get you where you want to go and have a couple other options that may work for you.

ottomatica
    Participant
    Lino Lakes, MN

Quote:

As long as I have your guy’s attention has anyone seen a place where you can buy electric motors smaller than 1/4 hp?

Axman will have these pretty cheap. I have a few on hand but they’re not AC motors.

mrwalleye
    Participant
    MN

I have just the thing you need for that
    motor with 0-400rpm and a pully on the end for a v-belt.
    its a ZERO-MAX
    model=E2 power block
    12-lbs torque
    0-400 rpm
    shoot me a PM if you need it

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Thanks guys…. you’ve all been a huge help!

Joe Scegura
    Participant
    Alexandria MN

I finally get to use my engineering knowledge on IDO. James, chucker is close but I don’t think you can get just any old variable switch. You’ll need a variable solid state switch that’s rated for 10 amps and 120 volts. Also you shouldn’t run this motor at less than 40% of its rated RPM’s or it will generate too much heat. I have a local expert I deal with, he sells all types of motors and motor controls. I can hook you up with him if you have more questions.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Can’t you just get Bk to lay under the table and spin it?

jerry b
    Participant
    western WI

I’m the furthest from an electrician you’ll ever find, but somewhere, sometime back I was in the exact situation. I was told in order to control a motor with a rheostat, your motor needs to be a “shaded pole” motor. Don’t ask me what it is, but that’s the info I got jerr

Steve Root
    Participant
    South St. Paul, MN

Quote:

James, here’s a link to a surplus place out in California I’ve dealt with. They have different sized gear motors both AC and DC, maybe they’ll have something that will work for you. I’ve had pretty good luck with these guys on all kinds of stuff including head lamps and flashlights.

Rootski

All Electronics

nic-habeck
    Participant
    Lake Mills, WI

Your going to need some sort of reducer or drive train to mechanically alter RPM. It will not be safe to run that sort of motor for any period of time at the type of speeds you are looking for.

chris-tuckner
    Participant
    Hastings/Isle MN

Quote:

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I think that is what he was trying to replace.

KirtH
    Participant
    Lakeville

Quote:

Quote:

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I think that is what he was trying to replace.

Hey hey hey, you guys leave poor BK alone , he is inocent in this post

t-ellis
    Participant
    Colorado Springs, CO

James,

Why not look into an electric turntable: Turn Table

It costs $160 and is a complete setup that rotates 2-9 rpm’s, can rotate left or right, and supports 125 lbs. It also has variable speeds control and doesn’t look too bad.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

James,

Why not look into an electric turntable: Turn Table

It costs $160 and is a complete setup that rotates 2-9 rpm’s, can rotate left or right, and supports 125 lbs. It also has variable speeds control and doesn’t look too bad.

Tim

I looked on Ebay for something like that and all I found was record players. I ordered that turntable. It will be here in 3 – 5 biz days. What a huge time saver.

t-ellis
    Participant
    Colorado Springs, CO

Actually Google gets the credit on this one. I thought that might fit the application and the price seemed good. Got to keep that valuable time open for fishing.

2jranch
    Participant
    Arcadia, WI

I don’t think you can use a regular motor as a variable speed motor. You have to have a motor that is capable of being a variable speed and I think that is what is called a “shaded pole” motor. Some one correct me if I’m wrong.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.