Approx cost to replace head gasket

• rvvrrat
    The Sand Prairie

My son’s 98 Chevy truck needs a new head gasket (or so he has been told). Anybody have a ballpark figure to get it done?

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

Quote:

My son’s 98 Chevy truck needs a new head gasket (or so he has been told). Anybody have a ballpark figure to get it done?

VERY, VERY common.
    I had mine done a few years ago. I do not remember how much it was. Sorry

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

why did they say it needs a new one?? how did they determine that ??

Most of the time they need intake gaskets .its been a long time since I have seen bad head gaskets on those engines

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Mine actually went out on my old 93 chev 3/4ton. 350 engine. I was “seeping” antifreeze into one of the cylinders. So light that hardly noticed anything out the pipe, but enough to foul out a plug in a few 1000 miles.

rvvrrat
    The Sand Prairie

Unfortunately, I don’t have a lot of details. I know it was overheating and when antifreeze was added it did not maintain the proper level.

Anyone have an approximation on the price? Just wondering if it is $250, $800, $1500…etc.

cshunt1
    Eagan, MN

i’d have at least a G ready.

cash for clunkers candidate??

lunzer
    Burnsville, MN

If you have the 5.7l engine, its a 12 hour job (book time), which is what a shop will charge. Assuming they are doing both banks. 9 hours if only 1 side. At metro dealer pricing, youd be looking at $1500+. Find yourself a good independent and you’d likely get it done for $1000.

Make sure your comfortable with the fact that it needs head gaskets before spending the money, or get a second opinion. Best of luck!

big_g
    Isle, MN

Quote:

why did they say it needs a new one?? how did they determine that ??

Most of the time they need intake gaskets .its been a long time since I have seen bad head gaskets on those engines

Ditto… my bet is intake gasket… much more common.

Upper gskt = 2.0 hrs, lower = 3.5 hours. Much cheaper than a headgasket. I would find out for sure.

big G

theodorenugget
    Sugar Land, TX

Quote:

If you have the 5.7l engine, its a 12 hour job (book time), which is what a shop will charge. Assuming they are doing both banks. 9 hours if only 1 side. At metro dealer pricing, youd be looking at $1500+. Find yourself a good independent and you’d likely get it done for $1000.

Make sure your comfortable with the fact that it needs head gaskets before spending the money, or get a second opinion. Best of luck!

I’m agree with AJ. I did this myself, on a 2 years ago. 1998 5.7 liter Tahoe. In my case, a valve spring broke & a valve bent. I knew the head needed to come off to replace the valve so I quoted it as a headgasket. The heads were sent out to be checked & measured. The machine shop also took extra time to remove the aluminum coolant nipple off the top of the intake. I would expect it to break. The only special tooling needed aside from the usual was a distributor wrench and 2 torque wrenches. inch lbs & foot lbs. While the intake is off (doing head gaskets) you should have it cleaned which should equate to another hour of labor. Parts were head bolts because they can only be used once, Gasket sets, coolant, oil, new plugs & exhaust bolts.

Czech
    Cottage Grove, MN

I would agree with $12-1500 if it is the head. I did the lower intake on my 350 Chev last year, it was a job but doable. PM if you want a good cert’d independant, he takes side jobs in addition to his day job, very resonable. Where are you located?

rvvrrat
    The Sand Prairie

Thanks for the feedback and the estimates…I really appreciate it. The truck is my son’s and it broke down in the state of Maine, 3 hours from where he lives. So he has it at a shop that he knows nothing about and is really at their mercy.

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

Quote:

Thanks for the feedback and the estimates…I really appreciate it. The truck is my son’s and it broke down in the state of Maine, 3 hours from where he lives. So he has it at a shop that he knows nothing about and is really at their mercy.

OUCH I will do those GM head jobs ALL day long for $1000.00 out the door

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.