Plumbing: Aquapex vs. Copper?

• ERIKJ
    Chaska, MN

What do you guys think? I see a lot of builders are using Aquapex, or similar tubing, rather than copper now. Is this just because it is easier and cheaper? What are the disadvantages?

Thanks,

EJ

Jeremy
    Richland County, WI

Using the crimp ring connectors, its about the fastest way to plumb a house. It was cheaper to plumb a house with pex compared to copper 3 years ago and now the copper price is still at least double of what it was then.
    Pros:(compared to rigid copper)
    Cheap
    Faster to cut and intall fittings
    Resistant to water Ph level
    If you kink it, kink can be removed using a heat gun
    can be bent into long sweep 90 eliminating a fitting and has better flow
    Can replace or install new fittings without having to have every drop of water drained from tubing-ever try to solder copper with some water present

Cons
    mice and rats can’t chew through copper
    Good crimp ring crimper for 1/2 and 3/4 inch costs about $100
    I don’t know how well it takes freezing compared to copper

Arzie
    East Bethel, Minnesota

That about sum’s it up!

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

I would agree. We tell people that if the rats and mice are eating you plumbing there may be more of a problem than leaking pipes going on.

Which type of pex system are you looking at?

Jungda99
    Woodbury MN

I wouldn’t build a house without it!!! It is much easier to work with. it reduces water hammer. I can hold up to freezing unless it is at a fitting then I am sure it would fail but copper doesn’t hold up to freezing either. I think it comes with a 25 year warranty apposed to coppers 2 yr warranty. It doesn’t wear out like copper can. Much more OSHA freindly becuase you don’t have to use propane as much to sweat the fittings. Well as you can see I like Pex Viega. Don’t use Wirsbo for anything but infloor heat.

Just My $.02

jbb
    Minneapolis area

The new ridgid CPVC product is good too. It’s a glued product that’s one step…no primer.

mud

Yeah, and unless the meth heads find some way to smelt some chemical out of Pex and make something to smoke out of it, you wont have to worry about them ripping all the copper out of your house!

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

stolen copper piping is a huge problem nowadays. Many houses are being broken into and piping ripped out. Not only water lines but gas as well.

savage_tuna
    Savage, MN

I agree! I have been selling new construction housing for 20+yrs and pex/flex tube is the way to go. I found, initially, that the market was a little reluctant to it, but as more builders and remodelers made the switch, it became the norm. One thing I didn’t see mentioned is the ease of connectivity to different material types and sizes. The subs REALLY love working with the stuff!

Tuna

Jungda99
    Woodbury MN

now that we don’t use copper they break in and steal the wire. Cut the homeruns off at the panel and climb in the attic and start pulling. I will never have the balls to break in and steal 20-$30 worth of copper to risk get put in Jail. DUMB

Jeremy
    Richland County, WI

The only tubing I’d use for infloor heat would be Kitec PAP tubing- tubing name may have changed to IPEX something or another. The PAP tubing also works good for regular plumbing, costs a little more per foot but it usually doesn’t need a bracket for it to hold a 90 on its own

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.