Chevy Suburban “Service 4wd” message

• jwfilm1
    Aitkin, MN

I have a 2005 Suburban and the “Service 4wd” message comes on periodically. Everything up front checks out fine…u joints, fluids etc. I am hoping to NOT spend $800 just to have a new fuse put in or something dumb like that. The 4wd works fine when the message light isn’t on. Any ideas or suggestions?

bgrotte
    Rogers, MN

Hopefully you are still under warranty?? If you are just over the factory warranty sometimes dealerships will “goodwill” the repair.

Its probably just the switch. My 99 was doing the same thing. It wasn’t a big deal.

Hope for the best

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

Next time it comes on, try to engage the 4WD. If it doesnt engage, its the switch behind the panel in the dash that engages the 4WD. The switch is about $80 new and about 1 hour to install.

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

It also could be the 4×4 motor control on the front axle or the switch on the transfer case. they were a real common problem . you should be able take the vehicle to a shop and have it scanned and they should be able determin the problem,atleast more times than none I can determin the prob that way at work
    Jeff

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

it could also be a message to check oil levels in front ,rear axles and or transfercase

jwfilm1
    Aitkin, MN

thanks for the input everyone. It’s out of warranty, fluids are fine and on occasion all the lights on the 4X4 panel blink and pop. I would bet it’s a faulty switch as well.

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

sometimes when that light fashes and such meens the 4×4 motor on the frontaxle did not engage,
    you can jack up the front end and with key turned to on position (NOT RUN)switch your 4×4 to activate the 4×4 and see if the front wheels are locked into 4×4.. if not your front controll motor on the front axle is bad ..GM has a new updated version . that not only is better but faster to engage .. We have replced alot of those at work along with the transfer case switch…….

Jeff

dave-barber
    St Francis, MN

I agree with Derek… I had a chevy blazer that had the Service 4WD light come on… it turned out to be the switch.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

JW, I’ve been fighting this for 3 years on my 99 GMC Sierra. I had the switch replaced, still had the problem. I ended up replacing the electric motor on the tranfer case. It’s due again. In 3 years, I’m on my 3rd $350+ part. What’s really frustrating is the mechanics have no idea what is causing these motors to fail. I said, great, so every year I just need to plan to throw $500 down to fix?? Sorry to vent, I hate putting money into vehicles. My truck has spent less than 500 miles in 4WD it’s whole life.

Shane Hildebrandt
    Blaine, mn

the same thing is going on with my 04 chevy 4 door. it only has 46K miles on it and i just can’t imagine that something would go out like that. well I guess I willhave to see if it will lock into 4wd and if it don’t, I will have to get it fixed.

thanks

shane

2Fishy4U

I hope this is at least moderately helpful. I asked my son, who is a GM Mechanic, what he thought and his reply is attached. This is the same kid that when he graduated from GM Tech School was asked why he choose General Motors. He answer was they have more problems, so I figured I would have more work.

His answer follows:

well a few things if it has a code then it could be a switch b2725 code , a
    module c0550 code, or an encoder sensor c0327 code. All common. Most
    likely it will not have a code as it is intermittant and needs an update in
    the transfer case module, very likely. Only done at a gm dealer.

Shane Hildebrandt
    Blaine, mn

that is my problem very intermitant message, sometimes manytimes in one day and then a few days or a week without. ask him how much roughly does it cost to have that done.

shane

jwfilm1
    Aitkin, MN

yes, please ask him what that typically costs. Thank you so much!

kooty
    Keymaster

My dealer’s charges:

Computer reading – $100
    Electronic Switch $90
    Electronic Motor $550

So, last year my bill was $740.00. This year I’m going right to the motor and doing the install myself. The part is right around $350ish.

hookem
    Hastings,Minn.

Depending on how far it is out of warranty and if you are the original owner and how good of a relationship you have with the dealer they may do a goodwill repair. It also helps to call GM directly. There should be some contact numbers in the back of your owners manual. I bought a 97 Chevy 1500 when it was barely a year old but had 42,000 miles on it.I had a problem with the steering wheel sensor. My local dealer’s service dept. told me they were having problems with them. I called GM and pleaded my case as a safety hazard and they authorized the dealer to make the repair at no cost. It’s worth a try.

2catch1

Ok I work on these wonderful vehicles! The 4wd system was great from 00-02 with a few minor issues.(switches b2725) Then in 03 gm changes suppliers and a few things in the electronics and now nothing on them is good, at all. Most likely it needs the update in the computer about 2hrs labor.(approx $80hr) A switch is about 1.5hr and about $80 for part. Module/4wd computer is a few hundred and a couple hours to put in. The encoder sensor is inside the motor and runs a few hundred for everything, but if it needs the whole encoder motor take your wallet out. Part is around $400-500 last I remeber, and a couple hours labor. This is what replaced the good old stick on the floor. Hey to the guy with the ’99 is it the new or old body, both were ok systems, maybe a ground is loose or corroded somewhere. I have only had 1 bad encoder motor in a silverado 99-02 ever. For 03 and newer well I don’t have enough fingers and toes to keep track. If the light keeps coming on get it fixed, I have seen too many of these ran and then internal transfer case components get torn up and that is real expensive! If your anywhere close to warranty 50k or less the dealer should help you out. At least if your a regular customer. Don’t mess with the independents on this. The programing is only available to the dealers. With all this said I own a 1995 with the tbi injection and a stick on the floor for 4×4. No electrical issues with this one, but I did put an engine in at 100k.

kooty
    Keymaster

2catch – thanks for the info. My 99 has been a lemmon for electrical stuff in my mind. I’ve got a 160k on her and she runs, but we are on the 3rd tranny, 3 4WD motor, dash looks like an XMAS tree half the time. Radio lights only half work and the odomter reading only works when extremely cold. Then once she gets cold(like a week and a half ago), the service engine light comes on. Needless to say, I’m not happy being the sole owner and knowing how the vehicle has been driven. But, it’s just a vehicle and I view them as the worst expenditure anyone can make. Besides, who would feed the mechanics kids if it weren’t for trucks like this.

rvvrrat
    The Sand Prairie

Quote:

But, it’s just a vehicle and I view them as the worst expenditure anyone can make

I couldn’t agree more Kooty…that is why I am a former “buy new guy” and am now a “buy used guy”.

gary_wellman
    South Metro

2catch1;

I sent you a PM about a technical question in regarding a chev suburban. Let me know if you can shed some light!

THANKS!!!!!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.