Fall Morels?

• eyejacker
    Hudson, Wisconsin

A fungi has recently started growing in my yard that looks a lot like morel mushrooms. Do morels grow in the fall? Are there other funguses that look like morels but are toxic?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

My morals have been falling for some time now…

Sorry EJ…I don’t know much and less about ‘shrooms.

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

I thought I read somewhere you should stay away from them.

However, if you come across one of those big white Puff Ball mushrooms, those are AWESOME fried. Just make sure they are white all the way through.

wigwam
    Lake of the Woods, MN

As far as I know real morels only come out until early June. There are false morels but I am not sure how long they come out.

Dean Marshall
    Chippewa Falls WI /Ramsey MN

I have NEVER heard of morels in the fall.There is a toxic one that is similar looking to the morel.Be carefull!

eyejacker
    Hudson, Wisconsin

Quote:

I thought I read somewhere you should stay away from them.

However, if you come across one of those big white Puff Ball mushrooms, those are AWESOME fried. Just make sure they are white all the way through.

I actually saw one of those big white Puff Ball mushrooms on my walk around town yesterday! Before I pluck it and saute it, I have to ask one question! Are you a Republican or a Democrat?

stuart
    Mn.

DO NOT EAT!! Fall mushrooms…Puffballs,only the snow white..Hen of the woods..look like oak leaves standing on end, they grow in clusters.Oyster shells grow on trees,there O.K.When in doubt leave them be. Stuart

i_da_woman
    Wisconsin

Quote:

My morals have been falling for some time now…

Brian, before your morals can fall you need to have some in the first place!

Now that EJ is back from another summer of debauchery on Lake Vermilion, I have to retrain him once again in social graces and civility, the class has room for two and it takes 9 weeks for EJ to complete, I strongly suspect you may learn faster than he does!

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

Quote:

Before I pluck it and saute it, I have to ask one question! Are you a Republican or a Democrat?

I’m independant.

I wrote in Darth Vader for President when I voted in ’04.

Vader said it best!! “Don’t be too proud of this technological terror you’ve constructed. The ability to destroy a country is insignificant next to the power of the Force.”

eyejacker
    Hudson, Wisconsin

I see you are at it again, I Da Woman, just to show you how rapidly I am regaining my civility, I have decided to cook supper for you! You will be dining on a variety of freshly picked mushrooms and spinach!

rkd-jim
    Fountain City, WI.

Fall mushrooms are good to eat if you know what you are looking for. Hen of the woods is the best fall mushroom. Also the “button mushrooms”, the same mushroom you buy in the store are excellent. The only differance is that the ones you buy in the store are grown in a dark house so they stay white. The ones you find in the woods turn tan to brown because they are exposed to light. Believe it or not I also eat Shaggy Manes, also known as inky caps. You just have to harvest them before they start to open and turn colors. If you want to find out about edible mushrooms just Google “edible mushrooms” and check it out. Lotta good eatin’ out there!!!!

chamberschamps
    Mazomanie, WI

Dr. Tom Volk at UW La Crosse has an EXCELLENT fungi site. A simple google search will get you there.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.