Outboard won’t go into reverse ??

• theodorenugget
    Participant
    Sugar Land, TX

1993 Johnson Faststrike. I’ve got the manual for it but it doesn’t really talk about shift linkage

There’s 2 cables that go into my outboard. Assumption is one is forward & one is reverse. The top cable has a gold colored crimp style fitting that appears to slide over threaded linkage attached to the engine. The gold colored fitting will not stay attached to the threads & therefore no reverse..

Anyone else had this problem ?? Does the cable need replace ? Repair ?

amwatson
    Participant
    Holmen,WI

I had the same issue awhile back on an Evinrude. I tried to adjust it myself, but that didn’t work. The problem was actually in the throttle assembly. I can’t remember what the part was called, but it was a plastic part. Pretty quick fix if the shop does it for you

lenny_jamison
    Participant
    Bay City , WI

If you take the cables off the linkage at the motor then shift the motor by hand at the linkage (you will see a lever on the motor, this is the linkage) you will be able to tell if this is a lower unit issue or a cable problem.
    The engine does not have to be running to do this. While the engine is in neutral you will be able to spin the prop without resistance. when it is in gear (either forward or reverse) you will not be able to spin the prop. You should also be able to feel and hear the shifting taking place.

mossydan
    Participant
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

If theres two cables that go to the engine, one is for throttle and one is for shifting. Look the area over where the shifting cable is attached to the outside of the motor to the shifting lever and linkage. If the lever isn’t moving while your moving the shifting lever on your control box the problem should be right at the junction where they connect to the mount of the motor. Sometimes the cable looses its crimp and sometimes the cable comes out of its mount. If the lever moves thats attached to the shifting cable and no forward or reverse look at the linkage thats at the base of the powerhead. Pull the cover off the motor and look and see if this lever and linkage moves to full forward and reverse position while in neutral, if you keep looking at the whole movement you should be able to find the problem, theres about 3 spots where it could loose a mount or a pin may have come out.

Eric Rehberg
    Participant
    Eau Claire, WI

I have had this problem before but only with a kicker motor. It would have forward just fine but it would not shift into reverse. Assuming it’s a wheel boat does the throttle handle go into reverse but reverse doesnt work or does it not even go back to where reverse would be. On the kicker when you went to shift it into reverse the shift lever would not even go backwards. It ended up being that the lower unit bolts were loose and the whole thing droped down about 3/4 of an inch. If it is not that, I would look at the connection point, then into the motor. Hope this helps.
    Let us know what you find out.

Eric

theodorenugget
    Participant
    Sugar Land, TX

Quote:

Sometimes the cable looses its crimp

Yep, that’s it. Cable has lost it’s crimp. Looks almost like it could have been screwed on at one point with the ends crimped to provide support but I’ve tried several ways to screw it back on & attempted recrimp but comes off again when tugged by hand.

Is this a do it yourself job or an “Uh, Oh.. Take it to the shop” ?

the_grump
    Participant
    Le Center

Changing cables is a fairly easy job, but it has to be adjusted correctly or it will lead to lower unt problems. (shift dog damage)

Darryl Matthews
    Participant

I put my evinrude e-tec 90 into reverse & the boat went forward, put back to neutral then in forward there was a clunk sound now it will only go into forward & when the motor is off the prop will only turn a 1/4 of a turn like it’s stuck in gear anyone have any ideas

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.