Live on a houseboat year round?

Participant

Anyone know anyone that lives on a houseboat year round? In Minnesota? On the Miss River? Just curious.

Participant

I live on mine all summer, and stay in it from time to time in the winter. We pull ours out of the water in the winter, but still have everything working so it can be used in the winter. We don’t keep water in it, so we bring water jugs.

Participant

Thats what me and the wife want to do too, when kids get older!! I think be great to live on boat year round, and no yard work either!!!!

Participant

TBO/MN…where do you live in the winter?

Participant

And where do you keep it?

Participant

Circle Pines, MN/Voyageurs National Park(Crane Lk.)

Participant

Just curious because I thought it would be cool once I’m totally single just to live on a boat on the river. By St. Paul? Anyone know anyone living in that area? Watergate marina or ??? And what do the utitlites run? Where to live in the winter? And do girls like houseboats? Probably not I’m thinking. Oh, well. Can’t have it all.

Participant

My wife said it would be neat, she said if you had a deck where they could sunbathe that women would probably like it.

Ed

Participant

I think it would be pretty cool to live on a houseboat, or to at least have one available for summer/weekend living. If you find anything out, please post the info here! I know there are several people who do live in Watergate year round, and I’m sure there are marinas down river that have more year-rounders.

Oh, and if the girls like you, and the houseboat is nice enough, I bet it would be just fine. They’re pretty tolerant for the first month or two…

Avatar of chris-tuckner chris-tuckner 
    Participant

It was my understanding that if you had a houseboat, the girls came with it. Every one I have seen came equipped with a number of them.

Participant

Mine did, wife,,Joanie, and cat,,Kallie……..

Participant

There are a few people that live on their boats all year
    round down at Willy’s hidden harbor in St.Paul Park.

In the winter you have to build a shrink wrap enclosure around the boat to keep the wind out.

They have a pretty have a nice bar/restaurant. Give’em a call for the slip rates.

Participant

Big River Magazine did a special story last year on living year round on a house boat and where you could park for the winter, etc. I’ll try to dig it up for you.

Participant

I am pretty sure that people live year round at Watergate. My friend was going to do it too, but the deal fell through. He was going to have it on Harriet Island. I am really not sure how the water works in the winter though.

Participant

Houseboats are fun and you get what you pay for. Most are not designed for warmth and are not insulated very well. The slippage can get expensive and some marinas require they be taken out each year. If you don’t run them frequently maintenance can be a bear. If you like to work on things you can get a great deal on one that might not be in pristine shape. I have never had a problem getting the fairer sex to come on mine. Houseboats are usually on the slow side and can be a pain to manuever in current. They are great if you want to be the first one on the water and also night fishing when you don’t want to worry about launching and landing at night.

Participant

A friend of mine; Jay Kohner, Latsch Island, Winona, MN. And he doesn’t have have to pay property taxes.

Avatar of gary_wellman gary_wellman 
    Participant

No property taxes.

And

If you keep it on the Mississippi, you can stake claim in a residence of a state that does not have income taxes. I’m not quite exactly sure how it works, but I know it can be done.

Participant

No state income taxes? This I’m looking into…

Avatar of chris-tuckner chris-tuckner 
    Participant

You would need a PO box for mail. No biggie. I could handle that.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

HP 54212d1f03772 LIST