ARE BITING FLIES A PROBLEM,WHAT DO YOU DO?

• garvi
    Participant
    LACROSSE WI

IT’S FLY SEASON ON THE WATER, I WAS WONDERING WHAT EVERYONE DOES ABOUT THE PROBLEM OF BITING FLIES ON BOTH OURSELVES AND OUR DOGS, I DO USE INSECT REPLENT ON MYSELF AND A FLY SPRAY FOR DOGS AND HORSES FOR MY BUDDY, IT WORKS GOOD FOR A LITTLE WHILE BUT I HAVE TO KEEP REAPPLYING WHICH IS SORT OF A PAIN BUT IT HAS TO BE DONE, I WAS WONDERING IF ANYONE HAS TRIED THAT NEW PRODUCT, THERMACELL BUG REPELLENT DEVICE.WHICH IS ABOUT THE SIZE OF A LARGE WALKIE TALKIE AND USES SOME SORT OF A WAFER AND BUTANE TO RELEASE THE REPELLENT, I HAVE USED THE OFF LANTERN WHILE CAMPING AND IT WORKS WITH A WAFER AND A CANDLE WHICH DOES WORK IN A SCREEN TENT FOR THEM PESKY BUGGERS. ANY THOUGHTS ON THIS BUGGY SUBJECT??

gary_wellman
    Participant
    South Metro

Lubriderm…………….Keeps black flies from biting, I swear by it!!!!!!

chris-tuckner
    Participant
    Hastings/Isle MN

Post deleted by EYE-GUIDE

garvi
    Participant
    LACROSSE WI

Quote:

I keep small, unsprayed children in my boat for bait.

GOOD ONE

chris-tuckner
    Participant
    Hastings/Isle MN

Seriously though, I like 3M Ultrathon if they are bad enough to have to use spray. I wear hiking boots, even with shorts now. I have not found a blackfly yet that can bite through leather and Goretex. They like ankle meat for some reason. This works for me.
    Tuck

suzuki
    Participant
    Woodbury, Mn

I usually just keep hopping around and complaining about it but never actually do anything. They don’t quite bother me enought to take my concentration off fishing, but close. I would think any bug repellant would work. Thanks for bringing it up. I’ll probably worry about it this weekend!! I better bring spray.

cattinaddict
    Participant
    Catfish country

isn’t that what you got your new 9mm for chris?

CA

Pullinplugs
    Participant

Doesn’t stop them from biting me, but I keep 2 fly swatters in my boat. At least that way I get a little satisfaction from killing them!

chris-tuckner
    Participant
    Hastings/Isle MN

Post deleted by EYE-GUIDE

WalleyeGFA
    Participant

I have only found one way to control them… I have used the ultrathon and they just bite right through it…

Get an outdoor fogger (spray can) and when they get numerous in the boat and you cant out drive them spray them…

I know… some are going to cry chem foul, vut its the only way Ive found to not all but ruin a days fishing… ankle biters suck.

carpking
    Participant
    Janesville, WI.

I got chewed up by black flies in Florida on the golf course. (yes Briank,I golf) No one else had a problem. They were using a product called crocodile. As soon as I used it I stopped getting bit.It has no deet in it and is a natural product, unfortunately…it works for doodly with mosquitoes in Wisconsin.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

And you were my hero carpking!

I avoid sprays/foggers because of the damage to plastic (never thought I would be a plastic hugger ) that could be done by someone that doesn’t know those sprays discolor fish locatores ect.

I’ve had great success with the 3m stuff…but then I have to keep Putz’s stock prices up so he can go fishing with me…

Gary was telling me about Lubriderm the other night…since my hands get so dry from the water when I’m clonking, I might as well keep some on board and give it a try.

The black flies are starting to pick up a bit…or bite.

gary_wellman
    Participant
    South Metro

Brian;

I was really impressed at how that clonking worked!!!

Everytime you slapped the water, we got bit!

emover
    Participant
    Malcom, IA

Ouch

dave

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

There are some advantages of not being… “too” tall!

chris-tuckner
    Participant
    Hastings/Isle MN

Ooooooooh, could I have fun here….

Two guys, doing something off a railroad bridge, on turns to the other and says….

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.