1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

What brand motor to you have??

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

Evinrude HO 225 and a Johnson kicker 9.9

kooty
    Keymaster

I don’t know the Johnson line of motors, check with Fireflick. He ran those motors on his Lund. I would think the boat has some sort of “panther” like system for trim?? The only time I see it being down would be for use. When trailering you may want to strap it down to prevent bouncing and transom wear.

shaggy
    Participant
    Milaca, MN

Ranger29,
    If you have a power lift unit for your kicker like a panther or CMC you can mount a strap around the exhaust housing of your kicker and attach the other end to your lift. When the kicker is completely up the strap should be tight which is putting down pressure on the motor. Panther sells this strap kit as an accessary but it has a weak plastic snap connector that will break under to much loading. Save yourself some money and buy everything at your local hardware store.
    Hope this helps.

tcfishing
    Participant
    Anoka, MN

I do believe the dvs id dual counsel. As for the question about rpm on 200 hp, I have evenrude 200ho no jack plate. The prop that came with the boat was a 4 blade add didn’t even bring the rpm up to 5000. I bought a 3 blade 19pitch and my rpm’s run about 5600 if I push it. I talked to good friend who is a marine engine guy and he says that these have a rev limiter set at 6000. I don’t know if I want to find that out for myself but he did say runig at 5600 will not hurt it. (but I run it at 5500 just to make me fell better)

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

2 stroke direct injection

or

4-stroke

what are your thoughts here ?

I know of several advantages to both motors but which one gets the nodd

kurt-turner
    Participant
    Southeast MN

Here’s the new rig that Karen and I will be enjoying for the next couple years. Can’t wait for the ice to melt!

I’ve heard a few negative comments about having a 4 stroke on a 620. I’ll give you my opinion after this summer. Kurt

kooty
    Keymaster

What have you heard Kurt? Is it a weight factor or a low end torque issue or a top end issue? Inquiring minds want to know.

kurt-turner
    Participant
    Southeast MN

I’ve been told and heard a whole host of mis-leading information. I don’t want to attach names as I take most of what I “hear” with a grain of salt. Some statements are quite dramatic like “Ranger shouldn’t even allow 4 strokes.” This statement was made regarding the low end difference not being compatible with Rangers design. You’ve hit the nail on the head with your assumption that “nay sayers” can pretty much cover the gamut when it comes to why I should NOT have purchased and why. It’s kind of the American way to boast about whatever your driving, fishing out of, etc and bash everything else until the day you change and then that’s the best thing on earth…… I’ll wait and see for myself. Watch to see what engine I put on my boat in 2 years. Then people can make up their own mind as to what I preferred. I’ve owned 3 Yamaha’s and I’ve never had major problems. Running a 225 is exciting for me and I’m sure a whole new ball game. Fish on! Kurt

kooty
    Keymaster

I’ve heard similar talk also. I just laugh. Anyone who has ever fished out of a Ranger knows this boat was made to fish. It doesn’t fit everyone’s needs, but most I’m sure. I don’t own one…yet. Unless something else comes along, it will be my next boat. As for Yammie, best motor out there, hands down!!! I have the 115 four banger, couldn’t be happier!!! It’s funny what rumors go around about boats and motors due to jealousy or lack of knowledge. Thanks for sharing your opinion!!

ted-merdan
    Participant

Kurt – nice rig, that engine is very reliable and strong in my opinion.

I am putting a 4 stroke Yamaha on my rig this year without hesitation and it’s a brand new engine for 2005 – my choice.

If you want a fast boat on flat water look at another brand – Ranger doesn’t build the fastest boats becasue they know this doesn’t win tournaments. Having a boat that will hold together, you don’t have to fight all day and that’s high with ‘fishability’ features is what wins tournaments. How often do you get to run flat out anyawys? Even in flat calm on Erie out of Cleveland last summer we were hitting currents that were causing waves and I couldn’t trim it up and let it rip – it does idle along at 45 mph nicely though.

my $.02

ted

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

So 4-Strokes have slower out of the hole and lower top end speed

and 2 strokes have both hole shot and top end speed right ?

How about fuel economy ?

HPDI vs 4-Stroke ?

Toad
    Participant
    New Hampton, Iowa

Ecnook,you will love a 620. Had a 1999, 2002, and now just ordered a 621 last week. Had a T-8 on the 620’s, and
    putting a T-8 on the 621. Best kicker out there. Do alot of fishing on the big ponds, and it handles the 620 perfect. Did alot of research on the T-8 for my 621, and going with the T-8 there also. Going with the kicker on the port side
    this time, and yes these are remote kickers.
    Had my Lowrance electronics on Ram mounts on the 620, two side by side on the dash, worked great.
    Putting two Lowrance units on my 621, but they have the 10″
    screens, so I need to fiqure out how to mount them to my liking on the dash.
    One other thing Ecnook, do some shopping around, priced out
    four dealers, prices ranged from 62K to 55K for a 621 same options. Two were priced out with Verado’s, the other’s with 225HO E-Tec’s. One dealer in Iowa, 3 in Minnesota. Two in the cities, one in Rochester. Hard to beat the dealer in Rochester, going on boat #2 there.
    Just my 2 cents, Ranger’s are hard to beat, my 621 is my 6th one.

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Thanks Toad !!

that is some good news…as I was going to go with the T-8 myself…I have one now on my Lund and it’s a sweet unit to say the least…

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

I’ve been playing

Gianni
    Participant
    Cedar Rapids, IA

Very nice Dave, when are you giving rides?

scottsteil
    Participant
    Central MN

Dave, I spend a lot of hours in the “finish shop” designing my future boats. I just got the call that my boat shipped yesterday I may just have it done for the first tournament April 1st. I will get a picture up as soon as I get to see it.

ted-merdan
    Participant

Scott – did you hear that from Kimberly Gussy? I am trying to get my boat on the next truck also.

Toad – I will be mounting an X110c and GM6500c on the dash of my 621 once I get it – I can send you some digitals if you like.

econook – where are the blues in that confuiguration? J/K that looks great!

scottsteil
    Participant
    Central MN

LOL, every day Ted. I have been calling her daily. Yesterday she said my boat was loaded and moving out. If yours was done, I am sure it is on the same truck.

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

ooooo boy…I don’t know….

ya know…I’m just not into all the sparklies

scottsteil
    Participant
    Central MN

Throw a 225 ETEC HO on the back of that one and make the interior white with Mica carpet and you are very close to my boat

ted-merdan
    Participant

great – you should be easy to spot then… !

scottsteil
    Participant
    Central MN

I tried to get it camoflage but they didn’t offer that color combo

scottsteil
    Participant
    Central MN

OK, I had to. This is what mine should look like.

emover
    Participant
    Malcom, IA

alright guys, you sure know how to make a person green, oops, red, silver, blue, sparklies,… with envy

I hope your rigs arrive soon, thay look like mighty sweet rides

I guess I’ll have to go play on that website too.

dave

jay55447
    Participant
    Plymouth MN.

Thats a good looking rig scott. Should look good behind the red truck. I still like last years colors better.

OldCoot
    Participant
    Cedar Rapids, IA

Ecnook,

I had a 619 with dual counsel for several years. It was a great boat and handled water great. My only complaint with the 619 was it was a little slow as compared with the 620’s with the 225s’. Last summer I up-graded to a 621 with full windsheild. I love this boat! With a 250XS it cooks right along. It too, handles rough water very well. I have speared a wave also, and it wasn’t pleasent. It wasn’t the boats fault, it was me not taking my time in some very serious conditions. We made it, and I learned an important lesson. These boats are so sturdy and ride so well, one can easily get over confident in very rough conditions.

I have a global map 3300c and a X-19c on the council, a x-125 on the bow and x-125 at the stern. To get everything to fit on the council I used RAM mounts and was able to adjust them so there in the right spots. I mounted a CD player to the right of the steering wheel and a VHF radio below and on the right hand side of the council. I am using a T-8 kicker and love it. These motors absoluteley run great. It can be a little akward back trolling, but with a drift sock out the front it isn’t bad. I use a removable steering arm to the big motor and a troll master remote throttle when trolling cranks. This system has worked well for me. When I had the 619, I had the kicker set up for remote operation only. I found this to be a bit restrictive and backtrolling was tough. With the current set-up, I have the best of both worlds. The other option would be a goldeneye remote steer.

IMHO you can’t go wrong with a Ranger. I would go with the 620 or 621 over the 619.

As far as 4 stroke vs 2 stroke I still recommend 2-stroke. More power, and often top end. Also, fuel economy is often as good as a 4 stroke, except at very low rpm. Bass and Walleye magazine had a very good comparison in the February or March issue. It turns out the 250XS actually got slightly better mpg than the 250 Verado. The XS is a heck of alot cheaper than the verado and much lighter. Everyone keeps preaching fuel economy and I think it just isn’t true. When you get one of these big, heavy walleye boats going it takes power and power needs fuel and doesn’t matter what you have they are all gas hogs.

Good luck with your boat shopping and I hope you end up with a Ranger, you will never regret it.

Old Coot

Viewing 27 posts - 31 through 57 (of 57 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.