Who here paints jigs ?

• millelacsman
    Participant

I have approx. 300 tungsten jigs I need painted who here could do that for me , and for what price not looking for anything fancy just a nice job Thanks

BBKK
    Participant
    IA

Larson’s quality jigs! He is a member here and does fantastic work! Google search will lead you to him.

meestro
    Participant

It really is simple… just buy the paint, use a propane torch to heat the jig, dip hot jig in powder and let dry then bake at 300 degrees for 20 minutes

(that is what I do with lead… not sure of tungsten)

BBKK
    Participant
    IA

Quote:

It really is simple… just buy the paint, use a propane torch to heat the jig, dip hot jig in powder and let dry then bake at 300 degrees for 20 minutes

(that is what I do with lead… not sure of tungsten)

The solder that holds the hook on tungsten will melt at 320 deg, or about a second over a propane torch. You have to use a toaster oven sat to 300 and hope the solder does not soften, or use an air brush.

briansmude
    Participant

Why don’t you do it yourself. Powder coating is easy and if you bake it it is indistructable.

trumar
    Participant
    Rochester, Mn

Quote:

I don’t have any paint etc

What colors you looking to paint them ?

millelacsman
    Participant

nothing fancy just want them painted , thanks let me know what you would charge pm etc

trumar
    Participant
    Rochester, Mn

Quote:

nothing fancy just want them painted , thanks let me know what you would charge pm etc

you have a pm

blufloyd
    Participant

Sally Hanson nail polish…..

Max Wolfe
    Participant
    Devils Lake, ND & Scio, Oregon

Painting jigs is a great way to relax and get the exact color combinations or designs you want. Be it powder coat (keep temps under 320) or the more time consuming enamels, you’re going to catch fish! If you want to get a glow or light color – use a WHITE undercoat. Using a clear over the enamels is suggested, but not needed with “baked” powder coated jigs. I use a cheap small wicked burner and denatured alcohol for fuel. I learned to powder coat jigs using a “Bic lighter” – so it’s not complicated. By simply being consistent when pre-heating the before dipping, you’d have it down pat in just a few minutes. As lead jigs are so much cheaper, I’d use them to practice. I’m going to guess you’ll pay about $1 each for painting – hardly a money saver to send out. Do it all yourself for less than the $50 investment, and I promise you’ll be hooked on your customizing hobby and get a new level of enjoyment when you set that hook! Show us some pictures when you finish!!!

One more thing you might have fun with is making some of those into light bucktail or rabbit hair jigs … they should be awesome!

BBKK
    Participant
    IA

Alright, so.. I’ll say it once more and then leave it alone. You will not be able to powder paint those jigs with a torch, lighter, heat gun, or burner. After a couple seconds you’ll have a hook on a pair of hemostats and a tungsten blank on the table. Been there, done that.

To effectively paint those TUNGSTEN jigs, you will need to use an air brush, hard as nails, or vinyl. If you want a “professional” look, airbrush is going to be the only way. If you just want them painted some solid colors then you can go to the dollar store and get some nail polish.

maurice
    Participant

been using powder paint since it came out–I found an old toaster with a grill deck leave the lid up works great-I think its older than I am but you might find one in antique store–I think originally it was used for toasted cheese sand.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.