K-Drill Ice auger

• Rivergills
    Wisconsin

Wondering if anyone has one of these augers or has ever seen them used? Needs to be used on cordless drill only. They claim the high carbon steel chipper blades never need sharpening. Also how durable is the flighting it is some kind of plastic.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Lots of talk about them. I have to wonder how hard they are on the cordless drills. What good is the auger if you are burning through a $200 drill every winter or two.

BBKK
    IA

And what happens when the battery goes when you are on the ice? No handle for backup. Seems like a big waste of money to me at $200. You’d be better off buying a nils at $130, at least that comes with a handle….

fish_any_time
    Champlin, MN

I see a niche for these type of augers, but not in our part of the midwest where ice grows thick.

For the person who chases pannies where the climate is warmer and ice thickness maxes at 12 inches would be the ideal application for these augers. Ponds in Iowa, southern Ill and so on.

Who carries the K-drill? I have not seen one but the name has popped up a few times lately.

Rivergills
    Wisconsin

kevin22

I agree . That is what I was kinda thinking also. At least with cordless drill nils you have a handle back-up. You have the risk of the drill going bad on the ice, but also same risk with a gas power auger not starting or stops running on you and with them you can’t just throw the handle on them. So I was thinking get a nils with back-up handle and carry 2 batteries with me. Also lighter than lugging a power auger around..no gas, no maintenance on power head. IMO

buzzer
    Garnavillo Iowa

Nils all the way

cbeeksma
    Delta, WI

Just ordered one from Vexilar. Extremely light weight and great cutting power. Used one last year through 16 inches of ice and was very impressed. Can’t wait to see it sitting on my front porch.

Mocha
    Park Rapids

I have used my K-drill 3 times so far. Love it!!!

I do use the Milwaukee 18vt drill that is recommended and I carry 3 batteries. First time I only cut 8 holes through 12″ of ice. Second time I only cut 10 holes through 13″ of ice. Third time I only cut 17 holes through 13.5 inches of ice. All three times only used a portion of one battery. Hope to give it a better test this weekend as far as “how many holes per battery”. Right now I figure I can get at least 60-80 holes through 13″ of ice with all three batteries. The flighting is plastic and is very very light. I have my gas auger with me but have not used it so far and hope I do not have to use it all year.

Someone mentioned “no handle” ? I don’t believe any power auger has any handles if they break down or don’t start but yes we all can bring along a hand auger for a back up if wanted.

Today I am going to a buddies fish house and use the K-drill to re-open old holes and see how it works. It should do very well since it is a chipper style of blade.

So far I would give the K-drill a 9+ out of 10!

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

What size auger are you using? Do you feel like there is much strain on your drill? Guess I use my cordless drill for work all the time and would be a little worried about burning it up drill holes. Then again I have used mine to drill 3 and 4″ holes through wood. That about max out what that drill can do.

Mocha
    Park Rapids

Quote:

What size auger are you using? Do you feel like there is much strain on your drill? Guess I use my cordless drill for work all the time and would be a little worried about burning it up drill holes. Then again I have used mine to drill 3 and 4″ holes through wood. That about max out what that drill can do.

Using the 8″ auger. Strain …. not much most of the time. I have used 18vts for quite a few years in construction and the strain seems less drilling through ice. It does seem to strain when getting close to the bottom of the hole which is when I should pull up and clear out all the shavings and then its better. At this time I can say that I have no worries about burning up the drill but time will tell. The Milwaukee M18 Fuel, which is the recommended drill, is brushless technology and hope that makes them even more durable. Like I said before so far I love it.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Do you run the drill on high or low speed for drilling ice?

Tom trattles

Love it, would recommend for any use . Plan on using the drill From Millwaukee 2603 or 2604. I tried my 18 volt dewalt with no luck. Your drill must have 550rpms and 725 torque. I will never go back to gas!!!!

Vexilar Vexilar

That’s why K-Drill approved drills comes with 2 batteries. The three approved drills are:

Milwaukee M18 Fuel – Model #2603-22
    Milwaukee M18 Fuel – Model #2703-22
    Makita 18V LXT – Model #XFD7M

We have use the Milwaukee M18 Fuel Model#2703-22. We bring out gas power head out there as a backup. Each battery drills about 20 holes and the second drills about that.

It’s light weight. I’m short and I can carry the auger out there with my flasher in hand. Love my k-drill.

Attachments:
    1. 12479137_1516365435336137_536139927_n.jpg

Vexilar Vexilar

The K-Drill Ice Auger requires a 1/2 inch drill chuck brushless Lithium Ion electric drill. The K-Drill is designed to function best at 500-750 rpm and requires minimum of 725 in – lbs of torque from your electric drill.

castle-rock-clown

I run an 8″ K-drill with my strike master power head. Drill comes with adapter, cuts like butter, my setup is right around 20lbs.

Attachments:
    1. image-43.jpeg

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.