songbird identification?

• johnksully
    Lakeville, MN

We saw this bird while mushroom hunting yesterday. Anybody know what it is? Sorry picture is blurry.

TazTyke
    Central Minnesota

Scarlet Tanager

Had one at my feeder yesterday as well.

Sharon
    Dakota County, MN

Oooh yeah that looks like a Scarlet Tanager. Such pretty birds! Lucky you got to see one!

stuart
    Mn.

Red headed,double breasted nut cracker.

deerdragger

Scarlett Tanager. Only bird in MN that has a red body w/ black wings.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Quote:

Red headed,double breasted nut cracker.

Stuart, you need to look at that bird BEFORE eating the mushrooms.

Steven Krapfl
    Springville, Iowa

Yep, seen one mushroom hunting this spring. Told my dad about a red bird with black wings and he knew it, too. They are pretty birds.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Scarlet Tanager. I saw two on Sunday, and I don’t think I have ever seen one before. Same day, my mom texted me a photo of two at their house near Sartell. They must be passing through. Beautiful birds.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Seen one on pool 2 on Saturday. Wife said she seen one at our feeder here in ham lake to this weekend. They are new to us but cool looking birds. Red is the male. Light dirty green with black wings is the female. Had both at our feeder.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I’d love to see one before they pass through so I can mark them off the list.

The coolest bird I ever saw in our backyard was a Indigo Bunting. Didn’t see him last year, but the previous 2 years we’d see him at the feeder for a couple days and that was it.

You keep an eye out you can see a lot of new birds in the spring and fall. Many are similar to common birds that winter or summer here.

We have a couple trees that attract the same birds spring and fall. I think it might be a dogwood, I am not sire. I should probably find out. In any event, every spring and fall you will find them there. judging by their behavior, they are chasing insects. And these insects must appear when it is still cool out in the spring.

Yeah, I kind of think birding is cool.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

The first hummingbird of the year stopped to look in the window of my camper yesterday. Didn’t like what he saw.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Hmm, I should put some feeders out. They only stop by when migrating.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

If it were possible to get sick of Oriolles I would be after this weekend. They are thick at our cabin and continuously suck all the hummingbird food. Lots of hummers too. Actaully I know I am lucky. Of my top 4 favorite small birds the Oriolle and Hummingbirs are among them with the bunting and tanager the other two. Saw a tanager last year but have only sighted about 5 in my life. Bunting are somewhat common up north if I seek them.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

We get red starts in the backyard sometimes too, I think during the migration. But those things I see all the time when I am on the river.

I forgot another of my favorite birds are Red Breasted Grossbeaks. I’ve seen those once in my life.

Orioles are very cool. Is there a bird with a stronger call? If there is, I haven’t heard it.

I once got 5 feet from 2 males that were locked by the claws and fighting. Good thing I wasn’t a cat.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.