Pool 2 Shore Fishing

• PikeFishman
    Participant
    St. Paul, MN

I live in St. Paul and with the end of ice fishing near, I have been thinking of ways to keep fishing this spring. I am very interested in fishing Pool 2 as I like very close to Ford Dam and Hidden Falls. It seems there are many people on the site who have experience on the river and I am hoping someone might be ale to point me in the right direction to get started. I have all the gear I need just have never fished the area from either a boat or shore. I’d also be interested in meeting up with someone if they are willing to show me the ropes a bit. Any advice would be much appreciated.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

I am about due for an outing myself here. Never fished pool 2 but plenty of the river above it and would like to join you on shore and see what we can catch. Little early for me right now to try but the full moon coming up here and some warmer temps might be good in a week or so. Ill shoot you a PM maybe arrange something.

mplspug
    Participant
    Palmetto, Florida

You fishing for any species in particular? I got a lot of spots, but my success has been marginal. So much so that I don’t have a go to spot, just some I have had success here and there.

PikeFishman
    Participant
    St. Paul, MN

Quote:

You fishing for any species in particular? I got a lot of spots, but my success has been marginal. So much so that I don’t have a go to spot, just some I have had success here and there.

In a perfect world I could go out and catch a couple walleyes, smallies and white bass. I know that’s not realistic so I would say my ideal target would be one of the bass species. I don’t have much interest in cats, they’re too ugly and I don’t want to touch them.

mplspug
    Participant
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

I don’t have much interest in cats, they’re too ugly and I don’t want to touch them.

I think you just burned a bridge.

STEVES
    Participant
    New Richmond, Wi

Quote:

Quote:

I don’t have much interest in cats, they’re too ugly and I don’t want to touch them.

Yep, ixnay on the atcay ippingray

PikeFishman
    Participant
    St. Paul, MN

Quote:

Quote:

My apologies to the cat fishing group on here. I just never fished them growing up and prefer other species… That said it would be a fun fish to have on the other end of the line I’m sure.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Quote:

Sounds like my 10 yr old daughter!

PikeFishman
    Participant
    St. Paul, MN

Quote:

Quote:

Sounds like my 10 yr old daughter!

Well this thread didn’t turn out as planned! Can’t fault a guy for his honesty.

Mike W
    Participant
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Upper end of pool 2 has some fantastic shore fishing spots. Miles of shoreline to fish from the dam down to 35E bridge. Both sides of the river. Its still a ways out but this area can really shine in May high water. Just walk the shorelines and fish any current break you can find. Cranks, jigs, hair jigs its all good. Many of these spots Im trying to cast my jig with in feet of the shore from a boat. Problem is in the flood waters I cant anchor so need to run the boat and try to fish at the same time. Shore fishing would be prime to hit these locations.

mplspug
    Participant
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

My apologies to the cat fishing group on here. I just never fished them growing up and prefer other species… That said it would be a fun fish to have on the other end of the line I’m sure.

I’m sorry too. Hopefully you are still around. I was just having fun with you. Bassy shore spots. I am willing to point you to a couple spots. I’ve caught white bass on the wing dams at Lillydale. It can be a trek to get to them. Its a long walk, but the west side of the Miss below Ford on the rocks above the creek for smallies. Its another hike. The rip rap by Hardman Ave south St Paul upstream fomr 494.

I think my best smallmouth fish has come from Pool 1 though. I can’t say I have targeted them a ton.

Hopefully that is a start. If you find a spot on Google maps or something, you can ask here about it or PM me. I have fished many spots on upper pool 2, so chances are I might have some info.

Sunny Yang
    Participant

Any good spots now near st.paul?

jeff_huberty
    Inactive

;I think you just burned a bridge

Not to mention catfishermen chased

DaveB
    Participant
    Inver Grove Heights MN

Hidden Falls is good because it has the eddy right at the ramp and some faster moving water right below along the rip rap. If you are shore fishing, keep your bait close to shore. The channel drops straight down within 20′ of shore and most of the feeding fish will be on the break.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.