Shortening Transducer Wires

• md76c
    Participant
    Eau Claire Wi

I just got an 858 for the bow of my boat and want to also be able to take it on my fly-ins. I am using my existing puck for both finders on the boat. I will use my second puck for the fly-ins and don’t want 20′ of cord getting in the way. Has anyone shortened these without issues? I am also getting a second transducer and planning the same thing. If the wires are soldered back together and sealed up well I don’t know why there would be any problems.

dank
    Participant
    Minneapolis, MN

Couldn’t you just wrap them nicely together and use a snitch-tie to keep them snug and together? It might be more work that it is worth. I’ve folded my 20 foot gps cable and it stays very compact.

bullcans
    Participant
    Northfield MN

Quote:

Couldn’t you just wrap them nicely together and use a snitch-tie to keep them snug and together? It might be more work that it is worth. I’ve folded my 20 foot gps cable and it stays very compact.

Or how bout just rolling up the excess and using a twisty tie or zip tie to hold it together? Worked for me in the past

bullcans
    Participant
    Northfield MN

I for sure wouldn’t cut the cable and splice the internal wires back together though. Been there/Done that/Doesn’t work without issues you don’t want

trumar
    Participant
    Rochester, Mn

Quote:

I for sure wouldn’t cut the cable and splice the internal wires back together though. Been there/Done that/Doesn’t work without issues you don’t want

I have cut mine on purpose and have done others before and all was just fine when done,BUT you must do it RIGHT.

Tho I would NOT recommend doing so on a higher end end unit..

Just wrap the cord up as suggested.

JMHO

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.