MN Gun Control Bills to be Heard Next Week…

• Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Minnesota: Gun Control Bills to Be Heard Next Week in the House Public Safety Committee

House Public Safety Committee Chairman Michael Paymar, a long-time anti-gun advocate, plans to hold committee hearings on his gun control proposals beginning at 10:00 a.m. on Tuesday, February 5 through Thursday, February 7 in State Office Building Room 10. At this time, none of his gun control legislation has been introduced. However, the NRA understands that Paymar’s gun control bills will likely be introduced later this week or early next week and include, at a minimum, the following attacks on our Second Amendment rights:

Ban on “Assault Weapons”: This measure would ban commonly owned semi-automatic firearms under the political misnomer “assault weapons.” Other than for gun control supporters’ misleading propaganda purposes, semi-automatic “assault weapon” legislation or laws have nothing substantial to do with fully-automatic firearms, which are heavily regulated under federal law. Semi-automatics and all other firearms, such as bolt-actions, pump-actions, lever-actions, revolvers, double-barreled shotguns and single-shot firearms, fire only once when the trigger is pulled. They are tools commonly used by the law-abiding for self-defense, hunting and target shooting. For more information on this issue, please click here.

Magazine Capacity Bans: This legislation would seek to arbitrarily limit the number of rounds your commonly-owned firearm magazines could hold to defend you and your family – potentially leaving YOU vulnerable to criminals that possess magazines of all capacities. For more information on this issue, please click here.

Ban Private Transfers of Firearms and Institute a “Universal Background Check” system: This type of legislation is the first step in “universal registration” and clearly over-reaches and infringes on our Right to Keep and Bear Arms. Imagine a grandfather who wants to give a family shotgun to his twelve-year-old grandson having to conduct a background check on his grandson before giving him the shotgun.

Gun control measures have proven time and time again to be useless at curbing crime. Criminals, by definition, have zero regard for the law. Criminals simply do not obey gun bans, register their firearms or comply with any gun control schemes. As a result, only law-abiding citizens will obey the law and be left defenseless. Anti-gun measures are successful at one thing only – encroaching on law-abiding citizens’ Second Amendment rights!

It is of utmost importance that you act NOW to stop all attempts to ban firearms and enact more ineffective and onerous gun control laws. Please contact members of the House Public Safety Committee and tell them to oppose ALL new gun control proposals and to work on real solutions to existing crime problems like enforcing current laws, empowering the law-abiding to protect themselves and loved ones, and focusing on mental health issues.

House Public Safety Committee:

Representative Michael Paymar (DFL) – Chairman

651-296-4199

E-mail: [email protected]

Representative Paul Rosenthal (DFL) – Vice Chairman

651-296-7803

Representative Tony Cornish (R) – Republican Lead

651-296-4240

Representative Debra Hilstrom (DFL)

651-296-3709

Representative Brian Johnson (R)

651-296-4346

Representative Tim Kelly (R)

651-296-8635

Representative Andrea Kieffer (R)

651-296-1147

Representative John Lesch (DFL)

651-296-4224

Representative Kathy Lohmer (R)

651-296-4244

Representative Joe Mullery (DFL)

651-296-4262

Representative Jim Newberger (R)

651-296-2451

Representative Shannon Savick (DFL)

651-296-8216

Representative Dan Schoen (DFL)

651-296-4342

Representative Steve Simon (DFL)

651-296-9889

Representative Erik Simonson (DFL)

651-296-4246

Representative Linda Slocum (DFL)

651-296-7158

Representative Mark Uglem (R)

651-296-5513

Representative John Ward (DFL)

651-296-4333

Brian Hoffies
    Participant
    Land of 10,000 taxes, potholes & the politically correct.

Someone should run on the political platform ” A AR15 for every citizen.”

cougareye
    Participant
    Hudson, WI

In the liberal state of MN, that doesn’t sound like a good strategy. Though there are definite pockets of the state where that would work.

ET

brad-o
    Participant
    Mankato

We need to look at some action. I dont agree will people that will let you have any gun you want but not support public lands to hunt on. Given the option of hunting with a gun and hunting with my dog I will take the dog thats were my line in the sand is

Wade Boardman
    Participant
    Grand Rapids, MN

I wonder if my representatives get sick of ignoring my mail?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

One out of 17 so far….well, I did get two auto responses.

Quote:

Dear Brian,

I support the 2nd Amendment and I am
    NRA endorsed. I do not approve of any
    new firearm restrictions. I too, am a firearm
    owner and will stand to protect our 2nd Amendment
    rights.
    God’s peace
    Jim

Jim Newberger

State Representative
    District 15B
    311 State Office Building
    (651) 296-4272
    [email protected]

Auto replies…

Michael Paymar
    State Representative
    District 64B

John Lesch
    State Representative
    District 66A

jigging_jag
    Participant
    SE Minnesota

First of all thank you Brian for getting those addresses out to the members. I just get a kick out of hunters and sportsmen who voted the way they did… This was on his agenda for his second term anyway, just happens a tragic event is making it a heck of a lot easier. Gotta love the dictator we have running the show

1hl&sinker
    Participant
    On the St.Croix

Uninformed partisan comments like that just reinforce the oppositions views and their will. It also takes away from the possibility to have an informed discussion on the matter.

News to me this was on Daytons agenda, and I had no idea Gov. Dayton controlled the House Public Safety Committee.

jigging_jag
    Participant
    SE Minnesota

Wow, you must hold Dayton in high regaurd. I understand we must contact our “State” representatives… Was not referring to Dayton. Look to the top, since this is where the Gun Control Bills are coming from. Nothing partisan about it, he said he would like a ban on certain guns in the past (senate days) and now it’s a possibility. But, being a minor in politics, I would be uninformed . I had to spend four years listening to my ultra liberal professors jam their ideas down our throats! Or just watch the news on a daily basis, that is uninformed patisan politics. But, some believe anything on tv and the web.

Brian Hoffies
    Participant

Quote:

Wow, you must hold Dayton in high regaurd. I understand we must contact our “State” representatives… Was not referring to Dayton. Look to the top, since this is where the Gun Control Bills are coming from. Nothing partisan about it, he said he would like a ban on certain guns in the past (senate days) and now it’s a possibility. But, being a minor in politics, I would be uninformed . I had to spend four years listening to my ultra liberal professors jam their ideas down our throats! Or just watch the news on a daily basis, that is uninformed patisan politics. But, some believe anything on tv and the web.

Your side, their side. You both are pounding your own agenda’s.

If more people used there own minds and thought things out instead of following party lines the world would be a better place.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Isn’t having an informed conversation with the liberal left an oxymoron?

Here is quote I find interesting.

Quote:

A person steals guns, (WHICH IS AGAINST THE LAW), shoots and kills his own mother (WHICH IS AGAINST THE LAW), transports these guns loaded (WHICH IS AGAINST THE LAW), brings guns onto school property (WHICH IS AGAINST THE LAW), breaks into the school (WHICH IS AGAINST THE LAW), discharges the weapons within city limits (WHICH IS AGAINST THE LAW), murders 26 people (WHICH IS AGAINST THE LAW), and commits suicide (WHICH IS AGAINST THE LAW).

I’m all for having legitimate conversations about helping to prevent more killings in America. However, when you have a governor and president who have proven they are against the 2nd amendment and our rights to protect ourselves it makes it very difficult.

Things I’d like to see. A NICs check for all firearm sales. This does not mean when my father gave me my first rifle. However, any SALE should include a background check. I’d like the NICs checks to include folks who have a history of mental disorders. Today, unless you are convicted of something you likely will slide under the radar in my opinion. I find it ironic how some of my purchases are delayed while others aren’t. Just how accurate is the FBI database??

Until we dedicate time to helping those who are mentally unstable in this country, no amount of laws will prevent more killings. If you think limiting the weapons to 10 rounds or locking away all those scary black rifles will prevent more deaths, well, I’ve got some ocean front property in SD to sell you.

jigging_jag
    Participant
    SE Minnesota

The 2nd amendment was a part of what are country was built on. No agenda here. Just sick of being told what to do by our Gov’t, they have no right to take away our guns! If you think it’s fine that’s great… But, don’t drink too much of the kool aid

Brian Hoffies
    Participant

Show me one place, one person, who said they will enter your house and take your guns.

suzuki
    Participant
    Woodbury, Mn

Quote:

Show me one place, one person, who said they will enter your house and take your guns.

We are operating under the “give them an inch and they’ll take a mile” rule. Because THEY have stated what their ultimate goal would be.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

There are those that feel the “expanded background check” is the first step in registration of all weapons.

Once there’s a “list” it’s going to be easy to come into our houses to remove the guns.

jigging_jag
    Participant
    SE Minnesota

My guns would be burried before that would ever happen. My point is if I want a certain gun down the road and they outlaw it… I would consider that taken away “our guns” you know we the people type thing .

suzuki
    Participant
    Woodbury, Mn

Quote:

Quote:

They’re not bold enough or stupid enough to try that. It doesn’t mean they won’t still try to disarm the populace. Many politicians have said just that.

http://cowboybyte.com/18265/san-diego-police-chief-we-can-disarm-americans-within-a-generation/

They would be just as happy to take away our legacy to the future generations.

carroll58
    Participant
    Twin Cities, USA

Thanks for Posting BK

Writing & reading and writing a few more.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Dear Brian,

Thank you for contacting me regarding the upcoming votes in public safety regarding gun control.
    I ran for this office to represent the people of my district with the principles of individual liberty and limited government. The second amendment to our US constitution assures our rights as private citizens to keep and bear arms for many reasons. I took an oath to uphold the constitution and I take this very seriously. I will never vote to limit the rights of citizens which are part of our constitution.
    I would encourage you to come to any of our committee hearings and, if you would like, you will be given an opportunity to testify. It is your right to do so, and all the committee members need to hear from you. Sending an email is good, coming in person is much better.
    Thank you again for writing.
    Warm regards,
    Kathy

Kathy Lohmer

State Representative
    District 39B
    239 State Office Building
    (651)296-4244
    [email protected]

2 out of 17.

Brian Hoffies
    Participant

2 out of 17 is very, very good. I’m surprised you got any that weren’t canned responses.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

I’m thinking the people that align with my thoughts will reply. The anti’s might not respond.

Brian Hoffies
    Participant

Look at it this way. Why, if people who oppose your views are sending e-mails, why would you even open them. Have a staffer open them and either do a canned response or ignore them. If they support your view then reply and print them to show your colleagues the great amount of support you are getting.

Does ANYBODY here read all their e-mail? No, you screen it just like the folks at the capitol.

IMO opinion anything less then a phone call makes it far to easy to be ignored. If a staffer answers INSIST to know when your rep. will be available to return your call or what time he / she will be available to accept your call. Don’t take no for a answer. Press them, you are paying for them.

Only by becoming a problem will they listen.

buckshot
    Participant
    Rochester, MN

I emailed all the contacts on the list this morning. I got a couple canned responses right away and nothing since.

The FW Walleyebrat put together a really nice email and is sending it to all the members as well.

I am still waiting to hear a logical argument from the gun control people as to how more gun control laws will prevent/reduce violent crime.

here is a little blurb from the email I sent.

“As a responsible gun owner I don’t feel my Second Amendment rights should be limited based on the actions of criminals. I urge you to ask yourself this question…..”Will a criminal follow any new gun laws put in place?”. When I ask myself that question the answer I come up with is “no they won’t”. Criminals by definition do NOT obey laws and I can’t think of a single reason that a criminal would be deterred by any new gun legislation that may be put in place.”

1hl&sinker
    Participant
    On the St.Croix

Quote:

I’m thinking the people that align with my thoughts will reply. The anti’s might not respond.

You missed a good opportunity to talk to Rep. Lohmer. She is a nice person to talk with and a pleasure. If she is not available she calls back. Twice now she has called back, last year was on AIS and now this. Very open to the conversation we had and she didn’t discount what I had to say. Though I did not go in saying what was right or wrong just had a pleasant conversation between the 2 of us.
    Not inferring anything just reporting my experience.
    I wish all the Representatives were like her(non partisan).

AllenW
    Participant
    Mpls, MN

Yup, more gun laws is what we need, they work so well in Chicago and DC.

Just amazing the crap our politicans come up with, although one of my least fravorite senators, franken did say we need to look at mental health more closely, or something like that…maybe he actually gets it?

al

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

And now the Pres is coming next Monday. NBC news last night alluded to the idea that he was coming to chit chat with the gov and cronies about what else.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Dear Friend,

I am a life member of the NRA and sponsor or co-sponsor of every major gun rights bill in the last 10 years.

I don’t plan on giving an inch in the upcoming battle to take away our constitutional rights. I believe this is a huge smoke screen coming up where the anti-gun people will throw everything but the kitchen sink at us in the way of gun control bills and then try to give a fake compromise solution to then go after the alleged “gun show” loophole, which really takes away our right to sell or trade guns privately to friends or family members without background checks and registration…

We need to fight against this and you can bet I will. Stay strong and come to the hearings, Feb 5th, 6th, and 7th at 10 am in the State Office Building in St. Paul.

Thanks for your support,

Rep. Tony Cornish

Retired Law Enforcement Officer

3/17

buckshot
    Participant
    Rochester, MN

The FW got the same email you did earlier from Lohmer and I received the same one from Cornish today.

BK, you going to go down there for the meetings??

Anyone else thinking about going?

I was thinking I might take some time off work and go over there for one of the days. Not sure exactly what I would say but I would like the to be involved.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.