Gander Mountain Summit Protection Plan

• caveman

Hi guys,

I am wondering if anyone has purchased the summit protect plan and has used it on a fishing rod. I purchase a st. croix mojo rod and purchase the protect plan with it just in case i broke the darn thing. I went fishing and I snap the tip on a darn rock. I have a couple questions:

1.Are they going to make me ship the whole rod back?
    I do not have any container that this 7’6” rod can fit into

2.How long is the process?
    I really want to get back fishing during this nice summer we are having so I just want to know how long this torture is going to continue.

I would appreciate the help if anyone has some useful information. Thanks

lhprop1
    Eagan

St Croix already has a lifetime warranty. Methinks you just got scammed.

timschmitz
    Waconia MN

The St. Croix mojo rods have a 1 year warranty. You’ll have to ship it back to croix which takes about 2 weeks. The protection plan Gander scammed you into isn’t worth the paper it’s printed on.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I used the protection plan on a pair of Danner boots one time – plan worked Great – Took the boots back to gander and walked out the door with a new pair – Not sure if it will be the same on a Rod or not.

caveman

I tried, but since it has been over a month, I have to call the 1 800 number

pete/ny
    Youngstown NY

I have used the Gander protection plan on 2 Ice rods last year. Took them back to the store, and walked out with 22 new ones. One was a St. Croix Legend.No shipping back to factory either. Well worth the $2 the plan cost for each rod.

josh a

Quote:

I have used the Gander protection plan on 2 Ice rods last year. Took them back to the store, and walked out with 22 new ones. One was a St. Croix Legend.No shipping back to factory either. Well worth the $2 the plan cost for each rod.

Any time you can swap 2 broke rods for 22 new ones you’re doing ok

red89
    Hudson

Quote:

Mojo are 5yr. Warranty. Have you contacted gander on this? I would think if they sold you the plan, then they have to replace the rod for you, and then maybe they take care of the warranty stuff with st.croix. But, like others said, pretty much all rod companies already have warranty policies, some better than others, so there is generally no point to buy anything additional from the store, unless gander will let you just walk in and get a new one, that would be sweet.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

You should be able to walk in the store with your receipt showing you bought the protection plan and walk out with a new rod. If not talk to the store manager.

BBKK
    IA

Quote:

Quote:

Mojo are 5yr. Warranty. Have you contacted gander on this? I would think if they sold you the plan, then they have to replace the rod for you, and then maybe they take care of the warranty stuff with st.croix. But, like others said, pretty much all rod companies already have warranty policies, some better than others, so there is generally no point to buy anything additional from the store, unless gander will let you just walk in and get a new one, that would be sweet.

That is exactly how it works. Take it to any gander mtn with receipt in hand and they hand you a brand new rod. With st. croix you have to pay to ship the rod to them (usually $15-$20), you have to pay them $20 to even look at it, and you have to pay for them to give you a new one unless it was a defective rod.

“However, if evidence indicates that the damage is due to an accident, normal wear or neglect, then we’ll advise you of the additional cost to repair or replace your rod.”

So pretty much if it didnt happen with the first fish or two, it is considered normal wear and they charge you around 40% for a new one (on top of the $20 check, and the $20 you spent to ship it to them). So with a mojo retailing for $100 at gander, it would cost you $80 to get a new one through st. croix warranty. Or a free one no questions asked from gander mtn.

How again is gander warranty a scam?

josh a

Quote:

That is exactly how it works. Take it to any gander mtn with receipt in hand and they hand you a brand new rod. With st. croix you have to pay to ship the rod to them (usually $15-$20), you have to pay them $20 to even look at it, and you have to pay for them to give you a new one unless it was a defective rod.

“However, if evidence indicates that the damage is due to an accident, normal wear or neglect, then we’ll advise you of the additional cost to repair or replace your rod.”

So pretty much if it didnt happen with the first fish or two, it is considered normal wear and they charge you around 40% for a new one (on top of the $20 check, and the $20 you spent to ship it to them). So with a mojo retailing for $100 at gander, it would cost you $80 to get a new one through st. croix warranty. Or a free one no questions asked from gander mtn.

I’m not sure who told you thats how st. croix’s warranty worked, you obviously have never sent them a broken rod. You do have to spend about 20 bucks on shipping, unless you get the rod from joe’s sporting goods, show them a reciept and they’ll mail it free. If you didnt get it from Joe’s you can give them 20 bucks and they’ll mail it for you.Saying that you have to pay st. croix 20 bucks just to look at your rod is just not true. The last rod i sent in was 2 years past a 5 year warranty. I broke it between the boat and a dock. Gave Joe’s 20 bucks and got a new rod a couple weeks later. If Gander only charges a couple bucks for there warranty its probably worth it to not have to wait for a new rod in the mail.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I’ll tell you where you can stick all protection plans

I always do my research when I purchase something and make sure I take care of my stuff. I have never regretted it.

timschmitz
    Waconia MN

Quote:

Quote:

I’m not sure who told you thats how st. croix’s warranty worked, you obviously have never sent them a broken rod. You do have to spend about 20 bucks on shipping, unless you get the rod from joe’s sporting goods, show them a reciept and they’ll mail it free. If you didnt get it from Joe’s you can give them 20 bucks and they’ll mail it for you.Saying that you have to pay st. croix 20 bucks just to look at your rod is just not true. The last rod i sent in was 2 years past a 5 year warranty. I broke it between the boat and a dock. Gave Joe’s 20 bucks and got a new rod a couple weeks later. If Gander only charges a couple bucks for there warranty its probably worth it to not have to wait for a new rod in the mail.

B BK is the smartest guy on IDO…just ask him

big_g
    Isle, MN

Do you have a smart phone ??? I don’t yet, but was advised when I do, look at some kind of plan when I buy Especially being that I am an outdoorsman… Now extending a 1 year warranty by one more year on a $200 electronics item for $12… no thanks, I’ll take my chances

BBKK
    IA

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Bash me all you want. Then look on st. croix’ website. I guess I was wrong, it doesnt cost you $20 for them to look at it. It costs you $20 if you want to get it back from them. I have sent 3 st. croix in for repair. All three times they said it was beyond repair and cause buy normal ware, and told me the price of a new one. Right at 35-40% MSRP.

“. Write a note explaining the problem. Send the note, a check for $20* and your entire rod to St. Croix. We suggest using our Discount Shipping Program, which is described elsewhere on this page.

2. If your rod was damaged due to faulty workmanship, then of course we will cover the cost of the repair or replacement during the warranty period.

3. However, if evidence indicates that the damage is due to an accident, normal wear or neglect, then we’ll advise you of the additional cost to repair or replace your rod.

* The $20 s&h charge applies to shipments within the continental USA. The s&h charges for shipments to Alaska, Hawaii, and all other countries is $30 . The $30 fee for international shipments must be paid by credit card (VISA, MC, American Express, Discover). Checks from foreign banks are not accepted. “

timschmitz
    Waconia MN

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Bash me all you want. Then look on st. croix’ website. I guess I was wrong, it doesnt cost you $20 for them to look at it. It costs you $20 if you want to get it back from them. I have sent 3 st. croix in for repair. All three times they said it was beyond repair and cause buy normal ware, and told me the price of a new one. Right at 35-40% MSRP.

“. Write a note explaining the problem. Send the note, a check for $20* and your entire rod to St. Croix. We suggest using our Discount Shipping Program, which is described elsewhere on this page.

2. If your rod was damaged due to faulty workmanship, then of course we will cover the cost of the repair or replacement during the warranty period.

3. However, if evidence indicates that the damage is due to an accident, normal wear or neglect, then we’ll advise you of the additional cost to repair or replace your rod.

* The $20 s&h charge applies to shipments within the continental USA. The s&h charges for shipments to Alaska, Hawaii, and all other countries is $30 . The $30 fee for international shipments must be paid by credit card (VISA, MC, American Express, Discover). Checks from foreign banks are not accepted. ”

Over the last 15 years I’ve sent St. Croix some rods and it’s only ever cost me shipping. I’ve sent them premiers,avids,legends and extremes ( most were my fault ) and everyone of them has been shipped back to me for 20$ never a dime more. They’ve even called me to offer me huge discounts on rods. What’s your rod company done for you?

run&gun
    MN

The plan works great. You bring it in they give you a new one. Nice to have on things that may brake. I did it on a ground blind.

BBKK
    IA

Quote:

The plan works great. You bring it in they give you a new one. Nice to have on things that may brake. I did it on a ground blind.

Could save a trip also. If you were to break your favorite rod, chances are there is a gander somewhere close to you where you can get a new one instantly and be back in the game.

Nah, probably not worth the $2 though.

BBKK
    IA

Quote:

What’s your rod company done for you?

The same thing but charged me. Mine were lower end rods though, mojo bass.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Everyone wants to B BK!

BBKK
    IA

Quote:

Everyone wants to B BK!

I’m BK with a stutter.

millerman
    Red Wing, MN

Quote:

Everyone wants to B BK!

NO WE DON’T!

red89
    Hudson

Apparently you can finagle a better deal from St.croix than I thought you could, according to some of you guys.

I have only broken one rod ever, and it was a st.croix triumph that got smashed in the back of my truck before I got a rubber bed mat. I assumed I had to send them a check for $50 plus pay my $10, and maybe more to ship it back. I think I got the rod for $70 so that would have put me at close to full retail cost for a warranty replacement.

Sounds like some of you guys have just taken your chances and sent them a rod without including the $50 replacement fee, and gotten lucky that they replaced it.

BBKK
    IA

The $50 fee is for the gold program. If you bought the rod used, or someone else broke it then you have to do the gold star one and send $50. They only charged me $40 for a replacement mojo, and it is a higher MSRP than a triumph. So I would guess it is probably a toss up between sending $20 and then paying 40% or just sending $50 for the lower end ones.

jeff_huberty
    Inactive

Quote:

Quote:

Everyone wants to B BK!

NO WE DON’T!

Agreed

A stuttering BK

Bad Karma

OH and the St. Croix warranty, I have had very good experince with them.

Paid for shipping only

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Jeff, have you checked your Float Tech’s for pin hole leaks the size of a Team Catfish hook lately?

jeff_huberty
    Inactive

Quote:

Jeff, have you checked your Float Tech’s for pin hole leaks the size of a Team Catfish hook lately?

I humbly apologize to you, my intent was just a joyful poke at your endearing Ego.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Don’t apologize. Otherwise I’ll have to apologize for your Holy PFD.

jeff_huberty
    Inactive

Turn that frown upside down

ggoody
    Mpls MN

Quote:

How again is gander warranty a scam?

Don’t even bother with this crowd when it comes to Gander!

And frankly I’m appalled that St Croix would charge anything for there warranty program based on the INSANE prices they get for there products!

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.