Best crankbait storage boxes???

• Steve Vick
    New London, MN

Anybody care to share what they think is the best box to organize crankbaits? Primarily shad raps in the 5 and 7 sizes. Thanks. Steve

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

B&B Steve… the #964 holds 96 #7 Shadraps…

B & B

p4walleye
    Rochester, MN

Absolutely B&B baitboxes- tell the owner you are looking to store 5s and 7s, and he will set you right up! I actually have created a self proclaimed river killer loaded with cranks, blades, and hard to manage hair with stingers. Mom and pop place-very kind when I was working with them.

p4walleye
    Rochester, MN

Barely beat me to it Tom!

trophy185
    Zumbrota

Steve, I can sent you a photo of what works for me. I use 2 6×8 boxes from staples and use rubber bands to tie the hooks together so they do not get tangled up. I have been searching for the magic box and this is the way to go. Basically it is like digging through a stack of pencil to pick out the bait you want to use and taking the rubber band off and snapping it on you line. If you would like send me your email and I will send you a photo of what I got. Give this a shot. You will be impressed and save a lot of space in your tackel box this year.

poppy402
    Eagle Point Wisconsin

Special mate for me. Each crankbait has its individual spot and the treble hooks from different lures are impossible to get tangled. Plus they are cheaper than b and b.

mike-g
    Bloomington,MN

How many are you talking Steve?

I store all my SR 5’s and 7s in a Special Mate 5128c. I like them better than the B&Bs, esp for smaller cranks. Flip trays make pattern / color easier to see and pick them out of the box. I usually pick out a bunch for conditions I’m in or have a feeling about and put them in a Plano 3771 for quick access and saving room in console area. S.M.’s are usually stored in bow storage areas if I want something else.

The 3771s also work well for all around storage. They are flatter and have slanted / angled dividers that allow you to really fit alot of cranks in. good luck

Mike Grussing (Old CC-R Cavalier )

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Welcome to In-DepthOutdoors Ben!!!

Sent you a PM

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

B&B for me. Ive got 130 crammed in my 966. Going to be upgrading to a 967 box for my stix so I can seperate and keep my addiction organized and growing. -Mark

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

Quote:

B&B Steve… the #964 holds 96 #7 Shadraps…

B & B

x

joe fish
    Inver Grove/ Malmo, Mn.

Quote:

Special mate for me. Each crankbait has its individual spot and the treble hooks from different lures are impossible to get tangled. Plus they are cheaper than b and b.

I own 4 of these! Hands down the best!

joe fish
    Inver Grove/ Malmo, Mn.

Quote:

Quote:

I own 4 of these! Hands down the best!

They also stack together tight.

cat dude
    Arlington, MN

I love my Special Mate boes. I have a 5 and 7″. All my shad type cranks go in one and they all stay very neat.

One can also see the colors on each cranks as they are viewed very easily. Most boxes one cannot do that.

As stated above, the boxes stack very nice.

One can load approx 120-130 in each box. I now have 4 of these boxes.

raapala
    Eau Claire, WI

I would say, some of it depends on how many cranks you want to store. Most people will recommend the bigger boxes. I have been using the Falcon FT0 700 series boxes (I think Plano now has FT0 series) and the Plano 3771 custom divider boxes. I use mostly shad-style in sizes 4, 5, 7 and thee boxes work well. Now I probably don’t have as many cranks as others but this works well for me for a few reasons:
    1) These boxes are very slim. So they stack nicely and the cranks don’t move around a-lot.
    2) If I am going with someone else, it is very easy to grab 2-4 boxes to carry or put in a bag.
    3) I can organize in groups of around 20-30.
    4) The Plano 3771 are around $6 a piece if you keep looking for deals. The FTO are more.
    5) I am starting to use rubber bands on the hooks now to avoid tangles (thx Whitetip!!)

Raap

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

My crankbait addiction has gotten out of control, so I switched over to 3700 series boxes for most of my cranks. I still use a Special Mate for my large Reef Runners and other deep divers. I like the idea of the 3700 boxes so I can stow them easily in my back compartments and leave some at the dock if I know I won’t be using them. Many times on tournament day I have it narrowed down to 2-3 boxes of baits so I can leave some in the truck and lighten up the load. As was mentioned earlier, I can grab one or two boxes quick if I jump in someone elses boat for a day too. I organize mine by style in each box and then color in each compartment. For the most part I can get 4-5 baits in each compartment, so I think thats 50-60 in each box.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Quote:

My crankbait addiction has gotten out of control, so I switched over to 3700 series boxes for most of my cranks. I still use a Special Mate for my large Reef Runners and other deep divers. I like the idea of the 3700 boxes so I can stow them easily in my back compartments and leave some at the dock if I know I won’t be using them. Many times on tournament day I have it narrowed down to 2-3 boxes of baits so I can leave some in the truck and lighten up the load. As was mentioned earlier, I can grab one or two boxes quick if I jump in someone elses boat for a day too. I organize mine by style in each box and then color in each compartment. For the most part I can get 4-5 baits in each compartment, so I think thats 50-60 in each box.

This is exactly what I do. B&B’s are great boxes. Have 3 that are pretty much full. But I only use them as storage on the garage shelf. I use Plano’s in the boat and keep it to the cranks I’m most likely to use that day.

Ever lose track of a full B&B box? Makes ya want to puke!

-J.

hv2fish06
    Allison,Iowa

I have used the 3700 boxes for last 5-6 years and have not had any problems. The only issue I have is opening and closing way too many times that the plastic hinge in back or tab in front are broke on all of mine! I guess time to get new ones. I would like to see a picture of the b&b box if anyone could send to me to check out?

hv2fish06
    Allison,Iowa

Thanks for the link! I have to invest in 1 or 2 of those! Will have to hide from wife,so she will not really know how many cranks I have!! She always asks when I order in the spring if I lost the ones from last year!! All kiddn aside I’m lucky my wife dont mind my purchases and time spent on the water!

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Tell Bill and Barb you heard about them on IDO.

-J.

Steve Vick
    New London, MN

Wow! Thanks for all the ideas guys! I am using 3700’s primarily. I will have to check out some of the other ideas here. I have a B&B box, don’t know the number. Don’t use it. Too deep for shad raps…….But like the idea. Thanks for all the ideas again!

cat dude
    Arlington, MN

Steve, the Special Mate 5″ box would work great for your shad style cranks. That’s all I put in my 5″ box.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.