Sand in my washing machine-any help?

• walleyebuster5
    Central MN

We have a middle of the road washing machine and 2 times in the past few weeks my wife finds sand all over her cloths. like lots. I’ve used it plenty in between with no problems. Any ideas why this is happening? Anything I should look for on the machine or in the utility room that may help me diagnose this problem? Thanks!

buck-slayer

Your well is pumping up sand. may need to install a filter

stuwest
    Elmwood, WI

if you’ve got city water, it shouldn’t be.
    but if you’ve got country water, you can have sediment in your incoming. I had to put a sediment filter on mine and empty every time i start to get it in the machine. The filter works well.

walleyebuster5
    Central MN

We live in the country and put in a water treatment system in about a year ago (house is 2 years old).

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

You aren’t washing any new “stone washed” blue jeans are you?

rkd-jim
    Fountain City, WI.

Quote:

We live in the country and put in a water treatment system in about a year ago (house is 2 years old).

I’m guessing the “water treatment system” is a softner/ironcurtain system. I don’t think that type of system would eliminate sand being pumped in unless you have a specific filter. Is it a 2 yr old well also?? If so it sounds like your casing isn’t deep enough. Not a well driller but that’s my guess.

walleyebuster5
    Central MN

Quote:

You aren’t washing any new “stone washed” blue jeans are you?

Ha, well,I am but that has nothing to do with it! See, I thought my kids were secretly filling their pockets with sand but either they are all liers or it’s coming from somewhere else.. Odd thing is that I haven’t noticed it anywhere else. Maybe I’ll ask the kids again.

RKD-that system was put in for iron and water smell. You could be right..

deertracker

Do you have a whole house water filter right after your pressure tank?

superstar
    Breezy Point, MN

More than likely it’s resin beads from your water softner, it looks like sand.

Have your water softner checked out.

superstar
    Breezy Point, MN

Also make sure your have hose screens for your fill hoses.

hairjig
    Cudahy, Wis.

Maybe Andy Dupree from Shaw Shank Redemption has been secretly visiting your utility room, unloading his “tailings” in the machine ?????

walleyebuster5
    Central MN

Quote:

Maybe Andy Dupree from Shaw Shank Redemption has been secretly visiting your utility room, unloading his “tailings” in the machine ?????

Ya know,, that could be!

I think I may have figured it out.. After much thoughts,there seems to be a pattern of sand after washing the door rugs.. We’ll see how this plays out!

Bassn Dan

Sounds like throw rugs would be a strong possibility. Maybe suggest that they get SHAKEN OUT before they get washed.

Something else to look at is if you have a tank-type water heater, catch some water in a bucket from the “flush valve” on the bottom of the tank. You’ll see if it’s sand or filter media, and besides it helps the life and efficiency of the water heater to flush any sediment out of it periodicly.

Good luck.

Dan

AllenW
    Mpls, MN

fwiw Rugs can be hard on washers, you have a laundrymat close by??

Al

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.