Manure on your roadways

• dave-barber
    St Francis, MN

Speaking of chickens… yeah… I have them too. Horses, goats, chickens, dogs, cat… Of all of them… goats are probably the least smelliest. But.. back to the chickens. Someone had the bright idea that the chickens needed better shelter than the large dog-house I had set for them with a heat lamp. So… the garage door was left open for them. needless to say, I spent some time so far this spring cleaning the chit out of the garage. That is the most foul smelling stuff in the world. The frozen stuff don’t stink too bad… but uhg! Nasty!

riverwrat
    Hastings/ Northfeild,MN

Quote:

Wow is all all I can think. That farmer maybe the the one I want to ask to hunt his/her land. I am sure that everybody has a job that someone can complain about

AMEN

herb
    6ft under

So, since some of us may want to hunt that farmer’s land someday, we should just turn our heads the other way when our water gets polluted from too much liquid manure runoff.
    I don’t think so.
    I won’t complain about the guy cleaning out an open lot and taking it to the field in a spreader and by chance some bounces out onto the road, unless he knowingly overloads the spreader.
    My complaint is with those who raise so many confinement hogs that they don’t have enough ground to spread the liquid manure on. The soil eventually gets so saturated with it they have to bypass the normal crop rotation and go with corn on corn on corn and it finally shows up in the ground water.
    And a large percentage of the people living in the country who complain about it were there long before the confinements were built.
    And when was the last time you heard of a farmer waking up in the morning and sit with his cafe coffee clatch wondering how he was going to ‘feed the world’ today? That’s nothing but Big Ag tv commercial B.S. He’s in it to make as much money as he can and rightly so, just like any of us who work for a living.

cat dude
    Arlington, MN

If it is so thick that it could cause an accident, then it could be an issue. I can put up with the normal amount whatever that is but only so much.

No poop in our ground water either. Might be the smell of gold for the farmers but it is not for me.

Viewing 4 posts - 61 through 64 (of 64 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.