Manure on your roadways

• walleyebuster5
    Participant
    Central MN

Tis’ the season for crap all over the roads. I want to get your thoughts on this. Do you like pulling into your garage in the evening and having your place smell like a barnyard? And do you look at it as…well I live or drive through the country and this is how it’s gonna be? Or do you get a little PO’ed?

Here is Ohio’s regulations: I couldn’t find anything for MN or WI or IA.
    Manure on Roadways
    A final area of manure liability risk concerns manure on roadways. Two Ohio highway laws
    come into play. The laws prohibit the placing of any earth or mud on a public roadway and the
    dropping or placement of any material on a roadway that can cause harm to a vehicle or
    person. Both laws allow for criminal misdemeanor prosecution. Additionally, the legal theory
    of negligence could be advanced by a party harmed by manure on the roadway. In this case,
    the party would have to prove that the manure handler’s failure to uphold the legal duty to
    keep manure off the road caused harmed to the party. If successfully advanced, damages could
    be awarded to cover the party’s losses and injuries.

suzuki
    Participant
    Woodbury, Mn

I honestly didnt know it was an issue? I’ll have to keep my eyes peeled this weekend.

walleyebuster5
    Participant
    Central MN

Quote:

I honestly didnt know it was an issue? I’ll have to keep my eyes peeled this weekend.

It’s probly not major. But if you live on a major crap highway you would notice it…for sure.

Ralph Wiggum
    Participant
    Maple Grove, MN

Since I left central MN, I nearly forgot about this phenomenom

I did notice some last weekend when I was going from our cabin to Sartell, but we’re pretty much crap free in the cities.

I guess it’s just a part of life. I’ll take crap covered roads in the spring over the traffic around here

Brian Hoffies
    Participant
    Land of 10,000 taxes, potholes & the politically correct.

Quote:

It’s not an issue.

If you wanna eat you best leave the farmers alone.

Since we are talking about farmers……….did you know weight restrictions on county and township roads don’t apply to them?

Corn is selling for $6.30 a bushel. It takes 1 bushel to make 2 gallons of Ethanol. So………it costs $3.15 a gallon to produce Ethanol BEFORE the transportation costs, refining costs, delivery costs, profit for the stations.
    Without the government subsidy there would be no Ethanol and there wouldn’t be corn fields and smiling farmers everywhere you look.

Just food for thought.

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

I don’t like it, but I’m kind of used to it and try to drive around it. If I hit a big batch of it, I just take the truck through some mud and cover it up.

I live in an area that has a very high concentration of Amish, so I’m pretty used to dodging horse apples in the road. Cow manure is just another thing to dodge.

deertracker
    Participant

You would be surprised at how many people call and complain about all the mud the combines leave on the road in the fall. Most complaints are from the city folk though. I wish I could just tell them to go back to the city.
    DT

walleyebuster5
    Participant
    Central MN

Quote:

It’s not an issue.

Not picking on farmers. But it would be nice to be able to eat and not have manure all over my truck I grew up on a farm, family farm.. We grew crops for everyone else and never left poop on the roads. Just sayin’

timmy
    Participant

Never bothered me when I lived in farm country. I always felt it best to never complain about a farmer if my belly was full.

T

swollen-goat
    Participant
    Nicolet County

In front of my place a guy owns the old rail road right of way that was abandoned decades ago. He only uses this 16′ strip to apply liquid manure about 8-10 times a year. Sometimes he doesn’t turn it off when he turns around at my driveway and covers the end by my mailbox with liquid poop. A nice surprise when checking the mail. Most farmers in the area are more considerate, but just like any group there are always the knuckle dragging goobers.

Brian Hoffies
    Participant
    Land of 10,000 taxes, potholes & the politically correct.

Quote:

Quote:

It’s not an issue.

Not picking on farmers. But it would be nice to be able to eat and not have manure all over my truck I grew up on a farm, family farm.. We grew crops for everyone else and never left poop on the roads. Just sayin’

Poop is everywhere!

Washington DC.

Roads

Fields

Rivers & lakes

Heck, there has even been known to be bull poop tossed around on these boards from time to time.

carroll58
    Participant
    Twin Cities, USA

There are Rules/Laws about Constractor’s leaving Mud on Roadways, I would suspect a portion of this would also apply to Farmer’s. Similar to this is a Minnesota Law stating you (anybody) is prohibited by law from placing/leaving piles of Snow on any public roadway.

Old Notice in Carver County:
    http://www.co.carver.mn.us/departments/PW/docs/PR_keep_roads_clear_101507.pdf

State Law, Mn/DOT:
    http://www.dot.state.mn.us/d4/newsrels/08/12-Dec/12_dumpingsnow.html

Another County notice:
    http://www.co.kandiyohi.mn.us/depts/EnvSvcs/Permits_Info/Resources/So-you-are-moving-to-the-country.pdf

olgetcher
    Participant

Go farmers !!! Are we seriously complaining about what we have to deal with to be able to feed our families. I realize that it can be somewhat of an issue on roadways. I believe it is a small price to pay to allow these people to do their jobs and allow all of us to have options from food to fuel. Just my opinion

gary d
    Participant
    cordova,il

In Illinois we have trouble with big box slaughter houses that kill hundreds of cattle a day. When the semi’s turn corner around here the manure spills out of there holding tank on the trailers. I have read in small towns papers that the state sometimes makes the companys clean it up. Yes I have ran though it and I hate the smell. I also grew up on a farm, but still hate the smell.

mike_utley
    Participant
    Zumbrota, MN

1) Drive a different route if it’s that big of a problem.
    2) Leave your car parked outside if it’s that dirty.
    3) Wash before placing in garage.
    I think we have enough laws. People who are from the country usually don’t have a problem with this sort of thing. People who move to the country usually do.

sauger
    Participant
    Hastings ,MN

Quote:

Go farmers !!! Are we seriously complaining about what we have to deal with to be able to feed our families. I realize that it can be somewhat of an issue on roadways. I believe it is a small price to pay to allow these people to do their jobs and allow all of us to have options from food to fuel. Just my opinion

amen

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Quote:

we’re pretty much crap free in the cities.

No Way!

Personally I miss the smell of cow manure. But I try to make up for it with my own BS.

farmboy1
    Participant
    Mantorville, MN

Take a deep breath. Move back to the city. Everyone wants to get away from the city, but they complain when it is not the city. Chances are it is just mud, with some residual manure in it.

If this is all you have to worry about in a day, you need to find something to do with your time.

smackem
    Participant
    Iowa Marshall Co

It’s just poop Now large amounts is just wrong cuz I almost took a header on the Harley a couple years back when I topped over a hill and there lie huge mounds of dirt from a tractor that shouldn’t have been in that muddy field to begain with.

bassmaster
    Participant
    SE, MN

Quote:

1) Drive a different route if it’s that big of a problem.
    2) Leave your car parked outside if it’s that dirty.
    3) Wash before placing in garage.
    I think we have enough laws. People who are from the country usually don’t have a problem with this sort of thing. People who move to the country usually do.

X2

I live in the country and it don’t bother me, sh_t happens. Gives the kids something to wash off when I get home. Its sad to think that this is what society is coming to complaining about everything and wanting laws for ever dam thing one don’t like. When will it end?

bzzsaw
    Participant
    Hudson, Wi

Whether at work or I guess now driving on the highways.. I believe in the old saying… “Don’t F the guy that feeds you.”

wes_bergemann
    Participant
    Crystal, MN

Man – I grew up on the farm and I make it a point to drive certain roads when I go back “home” to make sure the family smells the love Can you smell me now??

If it is cow manure – get over yourself and let me know where it is that I can go enjoy the aroma

If it is sour pig manure – well, ok, I see your point

jerrj01
    Participant
    Hudson, WI

Schmidt happends. Sorry I had to. I too don’t like it, but it only tends to be in the spring and though I didn’t grow up on a farm all my relatives and neighbors did as well. I’d never whine about what family farmers need to do to make a living and survive. Their profit margin, if there is one, is very small. They have to love their job.

walleyebuster5
    Participant
    Central MN

Calm down guys! I grew up on a farm and loved the way of life as a kid. Just not a fan of the poo.

suzuki
    Participant
    Woodbury, Mn

Gotta be the time of year. Bottled up fishing tension. Lots of innocent posts ended up this way lately.

Stan Jenson
    Participant
    sw wisconsin

I used to make my living working on a 600 cow dairy farm and hauld alot of manure. I always tried hard not to spill it on the roads but it does happen & if it was too much of a mess I would take the time to cleen it up. Having said that I have seen alot of places that dont & Iwas told many times to leave it the rain would wash it away but manure is worse than road salt for causing rust so I don’t like seeing it on the road.

Randy Wieland
    Participant
    Lebanon. WI

Farmers/Cow manure – NO PROBLEM, he/she helps pays taxes and contributes to the cost of road repairs.

Amish/Horses – Big Problem. No $$$ contribution, just a huge pile of crap

AllenW
    Participant
    Mpls, MN

I’m working with my state Rep to enact a diaper law, ever follow a livestock truck on a motorcycle?? uh huh..yup..ish…stinky stuff.

I think they should be required to put diapers on the livestock so bikers don’t have to suffer..

Yes I’m kidding..

Actually while unpleasant, crap in the road or spewing livestock trucks are pretty minor things in life to deal with and after 10-12 times you can spot a livestock truck a mile away..sometimes closer..

Al

t-ellis
    Participant
    Colorado Springs, CO

Post deleted by T Ellis

t-ellis
    Participant
    Colorado Springs, CO

Quote:

Tis’ the season for crap all over the roads. I want to get your thoughts on this. Do you like pulling into your garage in the evening and having your place smell like a barnyard? And do you look at it as…well I live or drive through the country and this is how it’s gonna be? Or do you get a little PO’ed?

Here is Ohio’s regulations: I couldn’t find anything for MN or WI or IA.
    Manure on Roadways
    A final area of manure liability risk concerns manure on roadways. Two Ohio highway laws
    come into play. The laws prohibit the placing of any earth or mud on a public roadway and the
    dropping or placement of any material on a roadway that can cause harm to a vehicle or
    person. Both laws allow for criminal misdemeanor prosecution. Additionally, the legal theory
    of negligence could be advanced by a party harmed by manure on the roadway. In this case,
    the party would have to prove that the manure handler’s failure to uphold the legal duty to
    keep manure off the road caused harmed to the party. If successfully advanced, damages could
    be awarded to cover the party’s losses and injuries.

Move to the city or Ohio…..problem solved.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 64 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.