Lake Shetek Report!

• Backtroller
    Participant
    North Dakota

Well, for those of you who think July and August are dead months in the pots, think again! I hit the water at 7PM for one last cruise in my trusty old Alumacraft and figured on a typically quiet night on the water. I was anxious to try out a pattern that my friend Bob and I used on Ottertail over the weekend to see if we would have similarly good results. Within 5 minutes on the water I was fighting a 30″ Northern that just inhaled the bait! 5 minutes later another smaller northern. Next came a fat 23″ walleye who went ripping toward the lake basin so hard that I thought it was a Northern for sure! Follow that with 2 more nice Northerns, several missed fish and a nice 19″ walleye and my arm was sore!

I was fishing tight to the north end shore line in 4 – 7 feet of water. I was trolling at 1.9mph and received all of my strikes at that speed. If you do not have a GPS then you MUST have one as I saw no other fish boated and there were several others fishing in the same area. My friend Bob was in his boat and using he same pattern as I but had very tough fishing so I am certain that speed had everything to do with the success. Try Berkley Frenzy Rattle Traps in the mettalic patterns, blue chrome, fire-tiger and good luck!

tgif
    Participant

Thanks for the report….. That’s my original home waters. I was wondering what was happening out there. I know the walleyes are still there. How’s the crappie fishing been? Was it decent through the ice last winter? I would like to hit Shetek if I run out to SD. Thanks again for the report. TGIF

Backtroller
    Participant
    North Dakota

I cant comment on the Crappies as I have never really targeted them personally. I have a few buddies who go for them during the spring off the dike roads and really hit ’em pretty hard this spring. This winter I did not get on Shetek as the bite was strong on a few other lakes. As you are from this area you will certainly recall that the bite just does not seem consistent year to year.

Good luck next trip down!

John

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.