Frustrating Rainy Lake trip

• FryDog62
    Participant

Got up to Red Gut Bay on 9/11 just in time to hit the peak of the cold front. 33 degree mornings and upper 40’s afternoons drove the smallmouth and muskies deep and scattered them. 3 days of fishing and two smallmouth to show – a 13 inch and 16 inch. Lots of 11-15 inch walleyes to eventually get our limit of meat to bring home…but I don’t find that very satisfying fishing.

Got home and couldn’t sit inside on another 70 degree day here in the Twin Cities. I know I just got back from out of town, but I had to go out before work this morning and make things right with four 16-17 inch smallies and this 20 1/4 personal best for the year (so far, anyway ;)

Here’s to hoping for a nice, long, Indian Summer…

-Fry

Attachments:
    1. 20-14-Anoka1.jpg

bigstorm
    Participant
    Southern WI

Sounds like a tough trip for sure. I will be heading up to Rainy Lake on 10/2 thru 10/5 for 4 days of fishing. Staying on the MN side and are expecting the walleyes to be deep.

FryDog62
    Participant

Walleyes were holding right at 20 fow…very little variance from that depth. I would think they’d be a tad deeper by early October – but hopefully a few bigger ones mixed in. Never caught so many 11 inch fish in my life…

FryDog62
    Participant

bigstorm, just talked to a guide on Rainy that is catching bigger walleyes (5-8 pounds) on rock humps in 32-42 fow. …deep

bigstorm
    Participant
    Southern WI

Thanks for info. Leaving on 10/1 for 4 days of fishing. Just hope the weather doesn’t blow us off the lake

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Pulling female eyes out of 40’…..wtf?

FryDog62
    Participant

yep, not my kind of fishing… but that’s where the bite is right now on Rainy…

The good news is that he reported catching some smallies in the 3-4 pound range back in 8-12 fow.

I went the wrong week..

BassBuster2
    Participant

The water temps that time of year are really important,even with the air temps falling if the water temps didn’t drop to much the bass would have still been shallow.They may have been tight lipped ,I have found that when the cold fronts come threw ,you really need to slow down your presentation.
    I will still start shallow ,if nothing I move out to the next break,usually in the 9 to 12 foot range.
    I have found that if the weeds are not dying they will hold bass and lots of them in the Falls.
    This is just my opinion,there are always exceptions,but after spending 10 years and as many as a hundred days spring ,summer ,and fall fishing this great fishery waytogo
    BB2

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.