FOX question ?

• Cp3
    Participant
    Hammond, WI

If I have a red fox or two hanging around the house right now, are my chances of seeing them again in October pretty high? Do fox travel far or if their den is near by do they stay close? Novice here on the world of predator hunting.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Jealous. I’d love a full body red mount.

TheFamousGrouse
    Participant
    St. Paul, MN

Fox tend to have a pretty defined territory and from what I’ve heard, it’s not generally as large as a coyote’s, but all things vary. If they have a den nearby, and if these are this year’s kits, they may start to range out more and more as they learn to hunt and as food gets more scarce. So you may be seeing a lot of them now, but once the mice disappear and the birds migrate, they’ll have to work a lot harder to eat. Which could work to your advantage…

Whatever you do, do NOT give in to the temptation to try to call them in before season just to see if you can do it. Don’t risk making them any smarter than they will be naturally.

What I would do is start looking for good calling stands come fall. A lot of things go into what makes a “good” stand, but you want clear sight lines, a good background to sit against, and a lot of other stuff if possible.

If necessary, work on trails so that you can approach each stand location from several directions depending on wind and do so quietly. The idea is to be able to get to each stand while not spreading your scent in the wrong direction and to do so very, very quietly.

Grouse

Randy Wieland
    Participant
    Lebanon. WI

Fox tend to have 2 to 3 Denning sites in a relatively small area. As grouse stated, range is usually smaller than a coyote. Also, Fox tend to be much more routine oriented. The will visit the same trails every couple days. Now, it’s a matter of at what time. A lot of the fox that I shoot comes from setting up where I saw them 2 or 3 days prior.

Cp3
    Participant
    Hammond, WI

So I know the season is getting closer and so far I’ve kept my distance and have seen one of them a few more times during the day recently. Do I go in and try a set without any calling to start or should I go into a distress call? Plus should I use a decoy (I have the Mojo decoy if that makes a difference)? Thanks for the help so far guys I’m new to predator hunting

Ben Putnam
    Participant
    Saint Paul, MN

Friends of mine have had foxes denned near their house in Indiana for almost 5 years now, they set up a trail cam in front of the den to show year-round activity, pretty cool if you ask me! You may benefit more from observing their behavior and using it to hunt other areas, or you may just want the foxes gone. Either way keep us posted!

Randy Wieland
    Participant
    Lebanon. WI

Though season is getting closer, the pelts on a red don’t get “great” until into December. Those heavy reds are pretty that time of year. I would wait and try to get his patterns down. Then slip into the right place and get it with some mouse squeeks

Cp3
    Participant
    Hammond, WI

Thank you guys that is great info. I think a trail camera might be in order for right now

Tim Reszler
    Participant
    Kenosha

You may benefit more from observing their behavior and using it to hunt other areas, or you may just want the foxes gone. Either way keep us posted![/quote]

I have had a red fox hanging around for the last three years. I see him multiple times a week. He is quite the joy to watch and he takes care of the pocket golfer’s I have in yard. A few months back I actually stumbled onto him sleeping mid day under an old pick up topper laying in backyard. I think we were both as surprised. Now I am a predator hunter as we’ll but refuse to shoot this fox as we love seeing him.

reddog
    Participant

You may benefit more from observing their behavior and using it to hunt other areas, or you may just want the foxes gone. Either way keep us posted!

I have had a red fox hanging around for the last three years. I see him multiple times a week. He is quite the joy to watch and he takes care of the pocket golfer’s I have in yard. A few months back I actually stumbled onto him sleeping mid day under an old pick up topper laying in backyard. I think we were both as surprised. Now I am a predator hunter as we’ll but refuse to shoot this fox as we love seeing him.
    [/quote

Its been 15 years or so since I have shot a red fox. I just cannot bring myself to do it, considering the hardship they are under in regards to the coyote invasion of the last 20 years and a never ending mange cycle.

I do enjoy spotting them though, and occasionally call them in, just to see if I still can..:)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.