Poor man’s lobster,

• a-and-t
    By Rochester,MN

Ok, so I am guessing their are a few doubters out there about eating Burbot. It has been awhile myself , since I was a kid when my grandpa would make it. After making it today I would say I will definitely be hunting them more in Feb. .No only a great fight ,but great table fare. We boiled it in a 75% 7-up and 25% water for 5 minutes. I then put a butter and garlic topping on it. I do believe it is best not to freeze the meat, as with most other fish it will taste better fresh.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Is that the sumo one your son caught up north? Some of the best fresh water fish I have ever had.

big_g
    Isle, MN

We even deep fry with walleye and nobody knows

big G

a-and-t
    By Rochester,MN

Quote:

Why boil it in 7up rather than H2O?

Boiling it in 7-up gives it a sweeter taste. I personally think next time I will do a 50-50 mixture. I think if done by deep frying you could almost pass it off a Halibut with the texture. Yes, that is half off the big guy Tuck caught. Mike S. was drooling so we shared

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

We don’t have burbot down here, so I use walleye and sauger cheeks and cook them in salted water and dunk them in butter. Bout the same I’d imagine.

Geerdes
    Brandon, SD 57005

Quote:

Why boil it in 7up rather than H2O?

I boil in 3 cups water to 1 cup of sugar for 3 minutes. Cut into 1″ x 1″ chunks. I mixed with cocktail sauce and dip with club crackers.

gregstew
    Red Wing, MN

What’s a “burbot’? I guess I never heard of it before….

Richard V.
    Somewhere over the rainbow

Quote:

eel pout

This is one fish on my bucket list.

icenutz
    Aniwa, WI

Boil in water with a bunch of salt, 1 sliced raw onion and a toss of caraway seeds. Dip in butter mmmmmmm good

fishinfool
    mn

Quote:

Quote:

eel pout

Eel pout as most know it is actually a Burbot Cod also called a Ling Cod in western states ..

FISHINFOOL

GetOverIt

Interesting, Id love to try some, sometime

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.