Venison hot dogs

• Dave Ansell
    Participant
    Rushford, MN

Hi folks,

Anyone out there got a good recipe they are willing to share for venison hot dogs? I have spent over $300 the past two years at the butcher shop and wondered about making them myself. I know sometimes things like this can be more trouble than they are worth but I thought I would see what advice you guys might be able to offer.

Thanks,
    Dave

clwuensch
    Participant
    Rockland, Wi

Hey there, EyesNDucks,

My dad was a butcher, and I make all my own venison sausage (baloney, smoked wurst , summer sausage, beer sticks, hot dogs). P.M. me and I’ll tell you the how and why-fors of doing it yourself.

Curt

Don Miller
    Participant
    Onamia, MN

I have been using this recipe from the Sausage Maker.

http://www.sausagemaker.com/wieners.aspx

It calls for 60% beef and 40% pork. Substitute the deer meat for the beef. If flavor is your top priority use fatty pork trimmings. Recipe calls for a steam chamber to cook them after smoking. I just quench them in a turkey cooker full of hot water and boil for 8-10 minutes to fully cook them. You could cook them in the smoker but that will dry them out a bit. Also use the real deal natural sheep casings. I do not like the collagen casings. I do not know where to buy a small quantity of the sheep casings. I buy a “hank” from the local butcher and that will stuff about 70 lbs of meat. But they also work well for snack sticks and breakfast sausage.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.