Fishing on Superior with only 1 engine?

• JD Winston
    Inactive
    Chanhassen, MN

Would you fish Superior with just one main motor? Or is it pretty much mandatory to have a kicker/alternate? The boat is a 20′ 2″ glass boat with 2014 Merc 150. No kicker. Just two electric trolling motors.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Mandatory as in “required by law” or mandatory as in “a good idea?” It is definitely a good idea but I do see a lot of single engine boats out on the big lake with no alternative means of forward propulsion. I wouldn’t avoid the lake if I didn’t have a second engine but the reliability of that one engine would play a big role in my decision making process.

While I do have a kicker motor on my boat unless I’m only a short distance from port I consider my VHR radio to be my #2 option for getting off the water should the main motor konk out. The kicker motor would be #3.

So my advice would be to make sure the single engine you have runs like a top and have a good VHR onboard should something go wrong.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I agree 100% with James. I wouldn’t think of it as required for safety purposes, but it sure does make that purchase easier to justify with the wife.

I would get it for its functional benefit. Here are my reasons for getting one.
    1. Better gas mileage while trolling.
    2. Fewer emissions while trolling. Had a slight case of CO poisoning in my Crestliner last year while trolling with a 125 2 stroke Merc.
    3. Much better speed control.
    4. Much fewer hours on your $20k motor versus a $2k motor. I bought mine used for $1k.

After one season on it, I think I’ve already justified the cost.

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

I have caught more with in 1 mile of shore than out in no mans land, mainly due to not wanting to run way off shore with a single drive. But there are plenty of fish inshore.
    As James mentioned it depends on how well maintained and reliable your equipment is. Would it be a good option? yes. But it has not kept me from fishing the lake.
    So many are intimidated by this large body of water which is nice because it keeps boaters down but in all reality its all in their heads.

You will find great fishing by trolling the shore lines. I kid you not when I say you can be .25 miles off shore and be in well over 100 feet.
    This next year try trolling from Mcquade to knife river and back or Knife to 2 harbors. The scenery is better up the shore but you will find many boaters in these areas that will help give you confidence in terms of safety. Also, I plan on slipping my boat at knife so you may want to contact me to see if I will be in the area as a “back up plan” to once again feel safer.

JD Winston
    Inactive
    Chanhassen, MN

Thanks guys, the advice is perfect. The boat I just agreed to purchase is a 2015 Larson FX 2020 Tiller with a new 2014 Merc 150 4 stroke XL. Got it from a guide near Brainerd who only used it for the spring-fall. Of course he raves about it being one of Mercs most reliable new motors and says it trolls down to a crawl. He also has a Vantage electric on the starboard side transom and a ladder/platform molded in the port side transom. So if I want a 9.9 kicker, I would have to strip the Vantage off. I’d hate to do that but I guess it all comes down to how I fish MOST of the time.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I didn’t realize you had a tiller with a 4 stroke.

You’re setup pretty well. Use it for a year and see how you like it. Just as long as you can troll down to about 1.5 water speed, you’re all set.

Get some good rod holders too. Don’t want to skimp there. If you forget to set your drag, you could break a holder and lose a rod.

kroger3
    blaine mn

One thing on top of the standard required gear for superior that is a good idea to have is a drift sock. If you do run into engine failure you can deploy it off the bow on a longer rope to keep your bow into the wind while waiting for help. Hope to never use mine out there but you never know.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

One thing on top of the standard required gear for superior that is a good idea to have is a drift sock. If you do run into engine failure you can deploy it off the bow on a longer rope to keep your bow into the wind while waiting for help. Hope to never use mine out there but you never know.

Good point. I haven’t gotten one yet for my new rig yet.

mbenson
    Minocqua, WI

That is a great idea I have never thought of nor heard about!!! Thank you, I have the drift sock on board, so it’ll definitely be a consideration.

Mark

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.