Lighted Bobbers

• dave_n
    Participant
    Champlin, MN

The price of lighted bobbers bothers me, so I want to know if anyone uses glow-in-the-dark paint and just paints a standard bobber for night fishing? If I do buy some lighted bobbers, what do you guys recommend?

Dave

score92
    Participant
    WBL, MN

Stay away from purchasing them at the bait stores..way too much. I would highly recommend the Gamagatsu bobber (a little more, but will last). It has the battery that you turn upside down when not in use. The Thill bobbers don’t seem to last long at all and have to have the battery replaced too often in my opinion.

Whiskerkev
    Participant
    Madison

I use the Thills. They are pricey no doubt. I try to get the lights on sale. Sometimes Walmart is the best place to get them. I make mine last longer by glueing a bead to the top.

love2fish
    Participant
    Shoreview, Grand Rapids, MN

I am not sure what brand it is I use, but I reccomend a bobber that the line passes the the whole bobber, not just the end. Less tangles and line twist.

John

big_g
    Participant
    Isle, MN

Ditto the Gamakutsu. The thill, with the pull or turn led always seem to not want to stay on when fishing, but mysteriously turn on when stored in the boat to drain the battery. What ever happend to the BLUE FOX bobbers ? They were the bomb !!!

big g

dave_n
    Participant
    Champlin, MN

I’m thinking of buying this stuff. Probably save money in the long run.
    Glow Paint
    A nice reference here also:
    Fishing Lures

pool13_jeff
    Participant
    NW, IL

I use the Thill Nite Brite’s, but they groove way too easily. I’ve tried others, but like these the best.

big_g
    Participant
    Isle, MN

Thats the company, but not the bobber. They were pretty much just like the Gama’s, but were orange, red and yellow. They used the lithium battery that you turn around to shut off, just like the Gatsu’s do. I have about 4 left, but they get dried out and the tips break, after about 5 years…

big g

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I just started using the Gamakatsu Night Flyer last year. I can see it 300 YARDS away…and it works great for fishing the next snag down river!

About $20.00…and that’s enough to pull anchor and chase it if lost.

shaley
    Participant
    Milford IA

I started using the Gamakatsu also last year, so far still on the first batery and we use them a bunch. Brightest lighted bobber I have ever used and seals good so won’t fill with water like others we have tried.

Bob Carlson
    Participant
    Mille Lacs Lake (eastside), Mn.

Quote:

Stay away from purchasing them at the bait stores..way too much. I would highly recommend the Gamagatsu bobber (a little more, but will last). It has the battery that you turn upside down when not in use. The Thill bobbers don’t seem to last long at all and have to have the battery replaced too often in my opinion.

I agree with the above…They are super bright allowing you to easily spot your bobber!!

Jami Ritter
    Participant
    Hastings, MN

Quote:

About $20.00…and that’s enough to pull anchor and chase it if lost.

$20, holy moly!

Jami

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Hey..it comes with batteries.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

Hey..it comes with batteries.

6 or 12 volts?

walleyebuster5
    Participant
    Central MN

I dunno know if you’re stuck on a “glowing” bobber but I’ve used glow sticks for years now with zero problems. I just had wayyy too many problems with the mechanics of glow bobbers not to mention replacing the batteries. I know the glow sticks are just over $1 per stick but they work great for me. Initially I was concerned that the line could wrap around the stick somehow but for 6 years now I’ve yet to have that or see it happen to anyone in my boat.

whiskeyandwater
    Participant
    ????

I’m with Walleyebuster, I’ve been using glow sticks for 2 years now and they work well for me. plus these days I need the $20 for gas to get to the fishing hole.

ggoody
    Participant
    Mpls MN

The Gamakatsu bobbers that Bobber and I use “Firetip Floats” are $10.

They end up being much cheaper then the Thills in the long run and are way better.

I don’t use the chain.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.