Eskimo with a nils?

• Aron Pontillo
    Participant

I bought an eskimo mako powerhead only last year and used the bit from my old auger. I’m looking to buy the 8″ quantum bit or a nils 8″ bit. Would the nils be compatible with the powerhead and/or has anyone done this?

hamms
    Participant
    Mn

I had a Nils on strikemaster 2 hp Tecumseh and the nils needs the higher rpm of the tanaka. It cuts so easy that the speed of it also comes from the rpm. Much like the mora hand auger. It cuts fast on the Tanaka. I would stick to the quantum bit or try a much cheaper Mora hand auger with adapter needed. It really performs well under power!

Aron Pontillo
    Participant

Thanks for the input. I don’t want to pay for the nils if its not going to perfrom better than the quantum with the mako. The nils would be nice to have for a hand auger for early ice with an adapter for the gas auger if it would cut good.

bee
    Participant
    Maine

Nils works great as a hand auger so I would think the slower speed of you eskimo would be ok.

hamms
    Participant
    Mn

It would be ok if you are looking for dual purpose. I would look into the tanaka 270 in the future if you want the match. Those quantum blades drill a clean hole.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.