Fishfinder “DownScan Imaging” Useful or a Gimmick?

• Dave G
    Participant
    Rochester, MN

I will probably get a fishfinder with GPS this spring and was wondering if the DownScan Imaging by Lowrance is a useful feature, or is it just another gimmick to catch fishermen?

I am considering this unit as it looks good on paper and price (about $649), but could easily go with any of the other models or manufacturers.

http://www.lowrance.com/Products/Marine/Mark-Elite-Series/Elite-5-DSI/

stuart
    Participant
    Mn.

Not a gimmick,will help you see more structure.

nic-habeck
    Participant
    Lake Mills, WI

I find no practical use for downscan. Sidescan is priceless.

scottb.
    Participant
    Southeast, MN

Downscan is not a gimmick. When fish are hugging tight to the bottom they are easily seen with downscan when not with regular. Also suspended bait and gamefish are better seperated with downscan.

Both are priceless to me!

hisser
    Participant
    Chatfield, Mn

It is so good that I almost never use the normal view any more. Side scan is the best

traumatized
    Participant
    eastern iowa

Downimaging enhances what you already have with a standard fishfinder. Sideimaging lets you cover a football field wide path and see a almost photo like image of the bottom. Spend the extra $$$$, you won’t regret it.

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

If it were me, I would go with an HDS unit so you can add structure scan when you have the extra cash. The side scan is worth its weight in gold. The downscan is a nice addition, but I wouldn’t get a unit that didn’t allow me to add the sidescan in the future just to get downscan now.

docfrigo
    Participant
    Wisconsin

Really depends how you fish and how you use sonar. Since being able to utilize 2d, sidescan and downscan all on the same screen of my 997, I now know more about my 2d than ever before. They are all very different, specific tools and NOT designed to replace. IMHO, if you are heading in the direction of downscan, get the HDS for the sidescan capabilities, otherwise you might be missing out.

ottomatica
    Participant
    Lino Lakes, MN

The downscan will also let you pick out individual fish in structure or in a school. Check out Doc’s web page and his posts here for some side by side demos:

doc samson
    Participant
    MN

I have a StructureScan seminar scheduled at Rapid Marine, Ham Lake, MN 10-11 AM January 15. I will cover how the new technology works and show many screenshot examples of DownScan. DownScan is not a gimmick once you learn when it is useful. I will also be available to answer questions after the seminar. There is no charge for this seminar. I also have longer classes on the HDS and StructureScan (Basic and Advanced) http://www.hightechfishing.com/classes.html

Snagger
    Participant
    Owatonna, MN

I would give up a normal sonar and GPS for Downscan/sidescan.
    Best money I have ever spent HDS-10 with the LSS1.
    AWSOME

turkeynate
    Participant
    Iowa

It’s worth it! You can see a ton of stuff with sidescan but downscan gives you more detail of individual objects.

Here is another great example:

Denny O
    Participant
    Central IOWA

Absolutly!! Worth it!
    I’ve had it since the spring of 2006 It’s great!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.