In line fuse for trolling motor

• drifter295
    Hastings MN

Speaking with a buddy of mine last night as I was setting up my new trolling motor, he says…you need to put an in line fuse on your positive cable line before you plug that in. My reply, I’ve never used one before…but it got me thinking, do I need one? I know it’s a good idea to have one close to the positive lead as close to the batteries as possible, but has anyone put an inline fuse on the positive wire of the trolling motor that connects by plug to your boat?

Hot Runr Guy
    West Chicago, IL

as long as you’ve got a fuse or breaker on the positive line at the battery, there is no good reason for a 2nd fuse, on the same line, at the plug. Ask him if his toaster has a fuse on the 110V plug, or does he rely on the main fuse/breaker panel?
    HRG

Richard V.
    Somewhere over the rainbow

You only need one close to the battery. Myself I would rather have a breaker, because you only have to reset it. Unless you have a problem with your wireing or the motor you can keep fishing.

The reason you want it close to the battery is that if you have a problem with the wireing it is more than likely to be past the fuse or breaker. If the problem is before the interupt you could have serious trouble…

scotte
    pool 7

my terrova had a inline fuse holder that burnt up a week ago. it now has a 60 amp circuit breaker.

carroll58
    Twin Cities, USA

Another Tip for Wiring is use plenty of wire, Leaving plenty of slack with give you future options and make moving and or adjusting things much easier.

I bought mine all ready to go and the guy had wired everything pretty tight. So far I have broke 2-fuses as I filled my under deck compartment where the battery is. Addidng slck this time.

Good Luck

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

Well… as long as we are on the subject I have a question also…
    I have a new 12 volt Minn Kota Edge.
    Would a 40 or 50 amp work just as well?
    The 60amp is $40….I can get a 50amp for $10

Hot Runr Guy
    West Chicago, IL

Mudshark, here’s a Minn Kota amp draw chart, not sure what size TM you have. Looks like all the 12V units are at 50amp or less.
    HRG

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

Thanks Runr
    Just what I was looking for….
    Looks like I’m good to go with a 50amp for my 45lb….

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.