Mr. Heater Buddy “FUMES”

• Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

I have been FUMED out that last two times out…
    I just bought the Model No: MH9BX – Portable Buddy.
    I got a nasty headache the first time and just disguarded it…On Saturday I got a headache that I still have today

Pounding Tylenol takes the edge off but it’s not gone…

Has anyone else had these issues ? I plan to take the unit back…But I was just wondering if I should get another ? Or maybe try the Model No: MH4B – Little Buddy..

I look forward to your input….And I also look forward to getting rid of this 3 day headache

scenic tackle
    Bemidji, MN

We just had that problem this weekend as well. I picked up a couple of “New” 1 lb propane tanks that burned like crap and fumed really bad. Then I put in an old bottle that was buried in my truck and it worked great. So it will be hooked up on the hose before we use it again unless we can find some old takes on hand some place.

cshunt1
    Eagan, MN

dave, is it fumes that are bugging you or the carbon monoxide? make sure you vent your shack some how… i really need to vent the door of my clam for my big buddy. if not, i can create some massive headaches as well.

jim-c
    Minot, ND

Buddy heaters are rated for INDOOR use when they are working correctly.

Neither of your heaters are if you are getting a headache from them, and 3 straight days with a headache is carbon monoxide poisoning without question. Do not use it again!

Take the heater back, or if it’s an older model, clean out the orifice according to the instructions in your manual and make sure you run a filter or regulated hose if using a bulk tank.

Check it with a CO2 detector before using it in the fish house again.

Jim Carroll NPAA #13

impalapower
    Madison, WI

Might not be a bad idea to go to the doctor if you’ve been sick this long. Not sure what they can do about carbon monoxide poisoning, but at least give them a call if you don’t go.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Quote:

CO, not CO2

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Got this back from Mr. Heater :

Dear David,

Can you provide the serial number of your heater? With what you have described for ventilation below you should be getting a sufficient supply of fresh air to into the area. It could be the smell of the LP gas burning that is causing the problem for you creating the headache. Sometimes additives are put into LP gas and possibly that may be what you are having a reaction to?

I will gladly exchange the unit for you if you are not satisfied with the heater.

Pam

t-ellis
    Colorado Springs, CO

Take her up on her offer and exchange the heater asap would be my recommendation. Sounds like CO poisoning to me based on the symptoms..

jim-c
    Minot, ND

Quote:

Quote:

CO, not CO2

Yeah, CO!

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

This is some Great Customer Service…At No Cost To Me !!

Quote:

Dave,

I have created a call tag for Fedex to pick up your heater. All I need

you to do is put the heater in a box (it can be any box, does not have

to be original) and mark the outside of the box with RMA#. I was

able to schedule a call tag in their system for tomorrow if ok. The one

thing that make me a bit nervous is that with the Christmas holiday,

deliveries tend to be their priority. For the pick up it is not

necessary for you to be home. All you would need to do is put it in the

box, mark the RMA# on the outside of the box and Fedex will have a

label for the box with return information back to our office. Will this

work for you?

Pam West

Director of Customer Response

Direct Dial: 216-588-0858

Toll Free: 800-251-0001 x 858

Fax: 800-321-0552

impalapower
    Madison, WI

Good customer service isn’t easy to find these days. Good to hear they are taking care of it for you.

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Quote:

Not sure what they can do about carbon monoxide poisoning, but at least give them a call if you don’t go.

Acute CO poisoning is simply treated with 100% oxygen therapy or remove yourself from the environment where the CO is at. The increased oxygen level helps to remove the CO from the hemaglobin in the blood where the CO attaches to. This returns the oxygen to normal levels. Once removed from the source of contamination, you will eventually exhale the excess CO from the body. If symptoms persist, it may be wise to call the ER or Urgent Care and talk with a triage nurse who can give you advice on whether you need to come in or not to be checked out.

nater3
    Webster City, IA

A couple of years ago the my propane lantern somehow got turned on in my back seat and leaked a whole can of propane into my truck as I drove to and from work for the next few days. The lantern was in a bag with other supplies so I didn’t know what the smell was. It gave me a headache that didn’t go away for at least a couple of weeks. Not something I want to repeat.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.