Digital Troll Master 2 Pro Problems.

• robstenger
    Participant
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Ok, I’m going to vent here and I know I’m not part of the norm and do realize that everything tha t is produced or made has bad ones or lemons. I don’t care if you are a “Chevy, Ford or Dodge” guy they all produce bad models or individual cars/trucks that just plain stink.

Well I believe this is the case with my Troll Master purchase. It seems it works for everyone else, but I’m one displeased fisherman. First of all, I had it and it seemed like it had dead spots where I would turn it and it would do nothing, then I would turn it ever so slightly and it would jump me up a whole mph. Not only that, I would hit the MFT (momentary full throttle) button and it is suppose to return you back to your original throttle position. Well, lets just say of all the times I have used that button, I think it has returned me to my original throttle position a total of 2 times out of about 100. I have played with this thing for hours on land to try to get it to run right and have it set properly to give me my maximum throttle range. Well this weekend after finally getting it to at least react on 1-8 on the control, which is only about half of my motors throttle range. I was using it pulling spinners yesterday and it was performing the best it ever has, but still not going back to the original throttle position after hitting the MFT. I hooked a fish and instead of hitting the idle/run button, I hit the power (on/off)button. I reel in my fish and go to turn it back on and NOTHING, ZILCH. . It is done, gone, does not work, could not get it to work again.

I checked all the connections as much as I could out in a boat with the rollers that were on the pond yesterday. They all seemed good. I will investigate further this week. This unit is brand new (installed 2 weeks after opener). Never has even came close to reaching my satisfaction and now it seems it is dead and needs a proper burial. It is a good thing it did not join my line counter trolling rod & reel that found its way to the bottom of the great blue, later that day. Has anyone else had any issues at all with this unit?

Thanks for letting me vent.

In case you are wondering it (venting) didn’t help.

TSCTSC
    Participant
    Rochester, MN

Hehe….finally, there is someone who is less than perfectly happy with the unit. I struggled thru the install a bit. Took me the whole night, but at least, my T8 still works ok, starts ok. Basically, I managed not to screw anything up. Installing it was an educational experience alright, as I now understand a little more about the throttle mech of the T8. I have not used it as much as I thought I would. But my unit is working well so far. “Touch wood”. Only thing I am surprised is that the trollmaster does not control the full range of the throttle in the T8. As a result, I have set it to control from idle to 50%. BTW, what is the return policy on the trollmaster. I think u either need an exchange (which is going to be a pain now cos u need to remove the stuff and then reinstall), or just a refund, which will only require u to remove it.

I hope someone finds a good solution for you.

robstenger
    Participant
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

TSC, I’m surprised that it does not control my whole throttle either. I probably have about the same of 50-60% range, not a big deal cause I never troll above 3.0 – 3.5 unless I’m musky fishing (not often). I would be fine if I was still struggling to tweak her, but it does not work at all. You are correct a big pain in the to un-install, ship back to the manufacturer and reinstall . Not something I’m looking forward to.

gary_wellman
    Participant
    South Metro

Wow Lip;
    A buddy of mine just hooked his up to a Merc 9.9 Pro Kicker. That thing is AWESEOME!!!!! He has a digital tach too, to monitor the speed/rpms. The thing is great and no problems at all.

I would call Troll Master and see what is going on. You may indeed just have a faulty unit.

traumatized
    Participant
    eastern iowa

I have one and couldn’t be more happy with it. It’s on a Merc 9.9. When I installed it I thought it was really tough until I was done then I looked back and realized it was alot easier than I made it out to be. It sounds complicated when you look at the directions, but it’s really not. Make sure your lift (piece of wire you bent to put in the motor) is completely vertical. If these get off a little it can bind and not work the throttle correctly. Also call the company. Everybody I know who has had a question or a problem had it taken care of in a day. My only real complaint about these is that they are not waterproof. We all know how often stuff gets wet in a boat.

robstenger
    Participant
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Forget about operating correctly, I would just like for it to turn on.

Thansk for the info. TRAUMATIZED

birddog
    Participant
    Mn.

I had problems with mine straight out of the box. No power, I went through all the steps from connections, fuse, etc.. No power. The owner sent me out a different control and wire to trouble shoot, it worked fine. I decided to take the back plate off, where the wires make the first connection, 2 wires were inserted into the bank but the screws weren’t tightened down. The owner was great to work with, he helped trouble shoot over the phone, after none of the trouble shooting worked he said he’d send me out a test unit, it was on my door step the next day. So, I have to give the owner credit he took care of it.

I do agree with how there are some dead spots but it doesn’t seem those problems are the troll masters fault. If you watch the servo??, it’s working when the dial is being turned and it’s moving the throttle arm. It’s like the carb isn’t reacting to the tiny adjustments. Then all the sudden the carb will “catch up”.

Good Luck.

BIRDDOG

TSCTSC
    Participant
    Rochester, MN

No…I servo motor lever arm just does not cover the full range. Even after adjusting the pin to take advantage of the longer lever arm. It is not such a big deal.

robstenger
    Participant
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Update: After having an Electronic GURU (don’t take much to be better than me in this department) look at it and run a bunch of different probe tests on it. He narrowed it down to the remote box. It was a faulty connection inside of the Troll-Master Box. A very easy fix, that only took a few minutes after 30 minutes or so trying to figure it out. Works good as new now! Oh yeah it is new.

Thanks for all the tips and help! I would also like to thank Hoss Performance just North and East of Hwy 61 and County Road E in White Bear Lake I think??? They took the time to chase down that problem along with a electronic trim problem I was having with my big motor. I pulled my boat in and they were more than glad to help me out. Fixed both problems on the spot and sent me a way one happy fisherman again.

I give Hoss Performance two big

DeeZee
    Participant
    Champlin, Mn

Lip,

Glad you got some help on it. I was pretty sure we had it working in my garage that night, but thought you might of needed a little small tweak on the adjustment once you got out on the water.
    Glad everything worked out for ya.
    Keep us posted.

TSCTSC
    Participant
    Rochester, MN

Congratulations!!

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Quote:

Lip,

Glad you got some help on it. I was pretty sure we had it working in my garage that night, but thought you might of needed a little small tweak on the adjustment once you got out on the water.
    Glad everything worked out for ya.
    Keep us posted.

I see your first problem is having the resident rocket scientist work on it. The second problem is the motor color. Glad you got it working properly.

DeeZee
    Participant
    Champlin, Mn

Quote:

I see your first problem is having the resident rocket scientist work on it. The second problem is the motor color

Alright…who put the quarter in this guy?

chris-tuckner
    Participant
    Hastings/Isle MN

He’s right though!

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

I haven’t had a lot of time on the river with mine , but the little bit I did it is working smooth as silk, matched up with the panther steering

chappy
    Participant
    Hastings, MN

I started having the same problem with mine and now it is completely dead! I called them today and said there’s a few of us having the same problem and if that is the case…….Call him. He told me to try to remove the metal clip inside the box as it sometimes shorts out and try it again. If it still does not work…Send it in.

TSCTSC
    Participant
    Rochester, MN

Oh my, my. More and more problems. I ran mine on Lake Michigan trolling. Seemed to work well most of the time. Occasionally, the rpm would change down to something lower. Not sure if that is normal. Gonna check it soon too.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.