Transducer Cable Repair

• john-tucker
    Northwest Illinois

I have a Garmin 240 which stopped working, displays message “transducer not connected” or similar. I found a small nick through the protective coating and wire of the transducer cable. Is this repairable, or do I have to spring for a new transducer? It is a trolling motor transducer, it appears it got nicked while deploying the trolling motor. Anyone suggestions?

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

Hey Rooster,

I successfully spliced a transducer cable once. 35 years of Ham Radio should be worth something The cable was made like coax. It had a center conductor wire surrounded by insulation with a braid over the top of that, followed by the outside insulation. It’s a little tricky stripping this kind of cable but it can be done. The tough part is making sure that a little piece of wire from the braid doesn’t touch the center wire and short the whole cable. In my case, the whole cable was cut in two. I stripped the wire back and connected the center conductor first. Then I taped that part up. Then I soldered a wire from the braid on one side over to the braid on the other side of the break and taped that up. Fortunately for me the break was above the water line so I didn’t have to go to extreme measures to water proof the whole thing. If your break will end up under water, I’d goop the bejeebers out of the thing with RTV.

From your description it sounds like only the braid was dinged. If it wasn’t broken all the way around, then I would think that it would still work. At radio frequencies water in the coax cable really messses up the works, but I don’t think that would be the case at audio frequencies like a depth finder uses. I wonder if the damage isn’t worse than you thought and the center conductor is broken too?

I hope this helps.

Rootski

Don Hanson

John, I would call Garmin- 1-800-800-1020. They may be able to repair it without it costing too much. If not they have a troling motor transducer kit for a reasonable price.

greg-vandemark
    Wabasha Mn

Hey John,
    I have fixed my Lowrance X75..cable
    It is coax cable just make sure both ends are twisted tight.
    taped seperately and than I just put that liquid tape on and dryed..
    It is still working..
    The other thing buy a new transducer..my guess cost is some where between 60 to 100 bucks.
    Fix the one you have and now you have a spare.
    Good luck..

john-tucker
    Northwest Illinois

Thanks to all for the help. I will attempt repairing, and if not, I know Wade will hook me up quickly so I don’t have to miss too many fish!!!

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Got ya covered John, and I replied to your PM too. Good luck! – Wade

john-tucker
    Northwest Illinois

Well, I cut and spliced the cable. It did have more damage inside than what was visible. There are five very tiny wires inside. I spliced and sealed each individually, then sealed the whole works with tape. The “no transducer” message is not appearing, so I will have to get it on the water to see if it is functioning properly. Maybe tommorrow!
    Thanks for all the replies. Wade, if my repair did not take, I’ll be giving you a shout!
    To all on the board, you really need to deal with Wade for any electronics and trolling motor needs you may have! You’ll not find a better buy or a better guy to deal with …..period!

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

If the cut is below the water, you probably replace the cable eventually.

john-tucker
    Northwest Illinois

Nope, the cut was right at the top end of the trolling motor. Came loose and got pinched when I locked the trolling motor down on it’s mount. I will probably still have to replace it soon, as I imagine corrosion will be a problem in the future.

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

I got the Minn-kota Universal Sonar last spring. That is one heck of a great motor.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.