I-Pilot Link Review

• Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Well, we made it out today after making the upgrades and getting the right LakeMaster Version 4 chip. The contour follow feature is awesome.

I can say, in a tin boat (Lund Pro Guide 1725) with the bimini top up on a gusty day. The Terrova had it’s work cut out for us. There were times that we had to be sure we set up to go into the wind as the wind to our backs with the bimini top up acted like a sail and messed with the Terrova.

I cannot wait to try the I-Pilot Link on a glass boat with a keel that is better designed to track straight.

FryDog62

I had my new iPilot Terrova out on my Yarcraft glass tiller and it was simply awesome. We were in some heavier current on the swollen Mississippi and it tracked much better than I thought. Glad I went to the 80 pound, it was on most of the 6 hour trip and hardly drained power. The spot-lock is still one of the best inventions yet… haven’t had a chance to figure out the contour feature yet but that is next.

kroger3
    blaine mn

With the new update are you having problems with your auto pilot now? I did all the updates 2 weeks ago and now when I am in auto pilot and touch the foot pedal at all auto pilot quites but still indicates it is on. Use it with just the remote and it works just fine. Not real impressed with this latest update being that was a issue listed that was fixed and now I have it!

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Quote:

With the new update are you having problems with your auto pilot now? I did all the updates 2 weeks ago and now when I am in auto pilot and touch the foot pedal at all auto pilot quites but still indicates it is on. Use it with just the remote and it works just fine. Not real impressed with this latest update being that was a issue listed that was fixed and now I have it!

. Did not try foot pedal yet. In fact haven’t hooked up pedal to Terrova yet.

kroger3
    blaine mn

Quote:

Quote:

Did you do the updates to the remote (1.150) and controller (1.160) in the terrova as well or just the updates on the humminbird units? It was updating the controller to 1.160 that seems to have done it to me.

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Did you do the updates to the remote (1.150) and controller (1.160) in the terrova as well or just the updates on the humminbird units? It was updating the controller to 1.160 that seems to have done it to me.

controller was 1.150. Now 1.160 as of 20 min ago. Remote has been 1.160 for a week.

mudneck_joe
    SE MN

I was out on mille lac with 3 footers with a 17.5 foot crestliner and had no problem. Everybody wanted to fish out of my boat this year.

brian_peterson
    Eagan, MN

Can someone give me a general overview of what the ipilot does?

FryDog62

The iPilot is the closest/best thing to hands-free fishing:

-Has auto pilot – heads in one direction and stays on point regardless of wind, current
    -Has the ability to follow the lake contour (i.e. 12 foot depth) for up to 2 miles
    -Has an electronic anchor “spot lock” to fish an area, get a snag out, bait your child’s hook, etc as opposed to tossing out a 15 pound weight that scares the fish away.
    -Has foot pedal or co-pilot type of remote
    -Etc…

rvvrrat
    The Sand Prairie

Quote:

I was out on mille lac with 3 footers with a 17.5 foot crestliner and had no problem. Everybody wanted to fish out of my boat this year.

What trolling motor do you have? I have a 17.5 Crestliner and am debating how big I need to go.

stcroixer
    Croix Valley

Quote:

-Has the ability to follow the lake contour (i.e. 12 foot depth) for up to 2 miles

Has anyone used this feature? I am going to pull the pin on a trolling motor and finder combo, and in my research, it seems that “contour follow” is unique to the Humminbird/Minnkota combo which will seal the deal on getting that combo.
    I am curious as to how it has been working for you guys. I am also curious if it could be used to steer the boat while trolling with a kicker. Any and all info would be greatly appreciated

muskie-tim
    Rush City MN

I use follow the contour quite often. Very hands free and does a good job. It of course is a only as accurate as the map chip installed and you need LakeMaster version 4 to enable it.

Eric Rehberg
    Eau Claire, WI

Quote:

Quote:

Has anyone used this feature? I am going to pull the pin on a trolling motor and finder combo, and in my research, it seems that “contour follow” is unique to the Humminbird/Minnkota combo which will seal the deal on getting that combo.
    I am curious as to how it has been working for you guys. I am also curious if it could be used to steer the boat while trolling with a kicker. Any and all info would be greatly appreciated

I use mine just about every time out fishing. Wether its pulling spinners, trolling cranks, rigging, etc.

You can use it to steer the boat while trolling with the kicker. Just have to get the speed on the TM correct so it has enough power to steer but not to much to make you go faster. Really, really helps when the wind is blowing and your trying to stay on a breakline or certain depth.

I wouldnt be without it if you like to troll.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.