Ford EcoBoost Real World Reviews?

• haasjj
    Cordova, IL

Have an appt on Sat. to look at a ’12 with EcoBoost. I’ve read all the reviews, but I figured I’d get some real world comments from guys that use their trucks just like I do. I’ve read the prior posts on it, but wondered if anyone had new issues with it.

Thanks in advance.

fishnutbob
    Walker, Mn.

I have a little over 2,000 miles on my 12. I havent had any issues other than it idles high when I first start it then drops as it warms. Ive had 21.5 MPG and 11.3 Mpg pulling a heavy Warrior. It does have power after its broke in Ill check my MPG closer. Im happy so far

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

I have 27k on my 2011 Eco-boost Screw. Real world mileage pulling a skeeter 1790T was just shy of 15mpg last weekend up to mille lacs, driving around the lake and back home on Sunday. It is also my commuter vehicle to work from Rogers to Downtown MPLS, I am getting just over 20mpg. I have the 6.5′ box with topper and I have zero complaints with the truck.

mike_anderson
    Alborn,Minnesota

I have a 2011 eco boost and I average 22 mpg on my way to work its 45 miles from home mostly highway. Very nice trucks. Three guys from work also own eco boosts and love them as well. Good luck!

big_g
    Isle, MN

I am getting 48 MPG with mine…

timmy

A close friend of mine has about 10k on his. He likes it – and mileage is decent. 20-23 on the hwy depending on conditions. Pulling my sled trailer, we got 11.5mpg. Pulling my 1850 tyee – about the same. Power when towing is impressive.

The one concern he has is that there is a very distinct ‘shimmy’ when taking off from a dead stop, as if the rear end is going bad. This has happened since it was brand new. It is barely noticeable without a load, but with a trailer in tow, it is very noticeable. The local dealer dismissed it as nothing, but as it ages, we are curious as to what will happen.

haasjj
    Cordova, IL

Big G, that sounds a lot like the stories we get with your fantasy football team! If it makes you feel better, the dealership is Dodge as well, so I’m having him price out comparable Rams.

Thanks guys for your comments.

Beaver E

My old man has one to and it “shimmy” as you take off. I have a 09 and I think his truck will out pull mine hands down.

phigs
    Twin Cities, MN

just seen this posted on another site.

http://www.forum.minnesotawaterfowler.com/viewtopic.php?t=27142

Quote:

Just figured I would share this, not sure if any of you guys drive these trucks or not. I do and a fix has been long awaited by the F150 community having these issues.

There is a TSB, # 12-6-4, to put a deflector on the intercooler, PCM reflash, and possible catalytic converter replacement. This was just released yesterday. Called my dealer already and they hadn’t even heard of it til I brought it to their attention. Which is why I’m putting it out there for anyone having possible issues but hasn’t found any info on it.

This TSB is to hopefully address any driveability concerns caused by condensation build up in the intercooler. Twice after long trips with the cruise set in very damp conditions, upon hard acceleration my truck fell flat on its face. Have also had intermittent misfires when the I/C hasn’t filled up with enough water to make it completely fall on its face.

Do not turn this into a Chevy/Dodge/Ford thing, just passing on some info for anyone needing it as info has been hard to come by. This is a great engine that rips off the line, pulls like a beast, and has gotten me as high as 25.1 mpg over 50 miles, as high as 22-23 mpg on longer trips. But with all new technology, some of the kinks need to get worked out.

Hopefully this helps somebody out, I know vehicle issues can be frustrating when there is little info out there to research.

nick
    Lakeville, MN

Quote:

My old man has one to and it “shimmy” as you take off. I have a 09 and I think his truck will out pull mine hands down.

I believe there is a known issue with the rear ends, guy at work had some warranty work done on his rear end.

nick
    Lakeville, MN

Quote:

I believe there is a known issue with the rear ends, guy at work had some warranty work done on his rear end. He loves his truck, coming from a Chevy, and claims 21-22mpg hiway commuting.

140-zuki
    Cokato, MN

Have almost 7000 on mine in 2.5 months. and I love it. I get 13 to 14 pulling my Dominator. 18 in regular driving, (my wife drives it every day, I get better mileage when I drive it.) Did have to get a converter replaced. Every time I pass someone I am amazed at the power, even pulling the boat. Easy to hit 85 passing someone if you don’t watch it. I would definitely recommend it.

haasjj
    Cordova, IL

Bought one with a 6.5′ bed and max tow package. Averging over 20 mpg overall so far. Haven’t pulled the skeeter yet, but overall I’m really glad I choose this one.

wes_bergemann
    Crystal, MN

12K on mine and the only issue I have is the bed is the short bed and I can no longer fit my portable fish house in it

I was leary on the engine so I leased this one.

13MPG pulling the Alumacrap without a cover, 15MPG with a cover. 21MPG commuting to work if I don’t have to sit in traffic. Actually get better MPG at 65 mph than 55. Other trucks in my experience start dropping considerably when over 60.

The first 4 months I hated it. After getting the engine broke in well, the truck really started to impress me.

For those of you with rear end issues, is this issue just the eco boost trucks or is this issue across all of the newer f150 trucks?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.