Enclosed Blinds

• ranger777
    Participant
    OtterTail Cty/Minnetrista

Picked these blinds up last week.
    We won’t be cold this year during the gun season/muzzle loader season!!!
    We are putting them up with 4x4x14’s and 2×4 X braces next weekend. Also bought the plexiglass window kits.

Attachments:
    1. 20140729_132940_resized.jpg

2. 20140802_185556_resized.jpg

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

It’s nice to get inside those later weeks of the year.

Randy Wieland
    Participant
    Lebanon. WI

I don’t know if we’re getting older or if winter is getting tougher. But I sure do enjoy keeping warm and dry

ranger777
    Participant

Three of us were able to get these blinds up in the air a few weeks ago. It was a little hairy getting them up without access to a tractor(4 wheeler/winch).
    Two of them are over looking very secluded brassica/rape food plots and the other one is just off a clover field.
    Just need to add office chairs and heaters!

Attachments:
    1. IMG_3304.jpg

2. IMG_5901.jpg

3. 20140822_191025.jpg

kooty
    Keymaster

Looks great!

TheFamousGrouse
    Participant
    St. Paul, MN

What kind of blinds are those? Would you mind telling what you paid for them?

With the price of lumber and the time involved, I think I’m in the same place with blinds as I as with stands 10 years ago. I found out with stands I could buy metal ones for less than I was paying to build treated wood ones.

Grouse

deertracker
    Participant

Not sure what brand those are but my buddy bought a few similar ones last year and I thought he paid around $1000/piece. I just built my wood stand for around $500. The benefit to the plastic stand is that they are already built.
    DT

kooty
    Keymaster

I found a guy out in Buffalo, MN who made roto molded blinds like this a few years back. He had some seconds on hand that were in the $650.00 range if I recall correctly. I liked them however I couldn’t stand up in them and they were barely big enough to draw a bow in them. Great gun blinds.

TheFamousGrouse
    Participant
    St. Paul, MN

Yeah, maybe we’re still in the place where the cost advantage is still tipped toward building your own. I priced out some tower blinds about 5 years ago and the finished cost would have been just about $2000 each with everything needed. Just wondering if the situation had changed.

About 10 years ago, I was pricing out lumber for replacing a couple of permanent tree stands we had that were in bad shape. I always use treated lumber and I like big stands that give plenty of room to move if it becomes necessary. I also build full rails for safety and to serve as a rest. I suddenly realized that what I was adding up in lumber costs was within spitting distance of what I could buy a decent double ladder stand for. Yes, the steel ladder stand was still more, but then again it lasts almost forever compared to a wood stand that’s in need of repair or outright replacement every 7-10 years.

Just wondering if we were close to the point where the pre-fab blinds are in the same place.

Grouse

kooty
    Keymaster

I think we are getting very close. My buddy got one last year that was really nice, again a tad small for bow, but would work. 360 degree shooting. He had to manufacture a base(which he mounted on a car trailer). He now has a very mobile blind he can move anywhere on his 3000 acre property he wants. This is SD prairie of course. Anyway, I’m thinking he was in the $1400.00 range delivered to central SD.

sticker
    Participant
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

Wow, $1400-$2000 EEK, I think I will keep an eye out for more wood I can reclaim. Actually I have just about enough left for one more )

deertracker
    Participant

I should be into my built stand for around $500. The upside to the plastic stands is they can be moved around. I could move mine I quess but would require a tractor with a bucket or a forklift.
    DT

Michael Saal
    Participant
    Merrill, Wi

Bought my blind tonight the owner stopped on his way home from a sports show. Really nice portable blind for under $660. going to use it for ice fishing to.

ranger777
    Participant

Hey Grouse,
    Sorry for the late response. Been too busy fishin!
    Here is where I bought the blinds:
    http://rmioutdoors.com/index.cfm/pageid/29
    They sold them to me for $550 each, plus $80 for each window kit(could probably design your own for a lot cheaper but I didn’t have the time to deal with it).
    With the 4×4’s and 2×4’s it was around $800 per blind. These should hopefully last 10 years or more.

If you wanted to build one out of all treated lumber, it would be in the 450-650 range anyway, and I figure the plastic should last longer and looks better(after painted).

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.