Early ice, man, how nice!

• Andy Fiolka
    Boise, Idaho

Like most of you, my past month has been spent preparing gear for the coming ice season. Well, that time is now. Mother nature has given us and early ice cap on many smaller bodies of water here in the Dakotas. After a little recon trip, I found a little body of water with enough ice to feel comfortable venturing out on. With our spud bars and ice picks handy, we headed out in search of anything willing to eat. The weather wasn’t perfect, the wind was blowing, but fishing in the Otter 1200 Cabin was pretty darn nice.

It wasn’t the most productive early ice trip, but the quality of fish “outweighed” the numbers. As expected, the fish were relating to weed edges and pockets. Punching holes with the Solo and using the Marcum to look for these specific areas were key to finding these fish. One thing to stress on thin, early ice, it to be quiet around the area you intend to fish (especially over shallow water). Banging gear around is a sure way to push fish out of that area

We fished the new VMC Tungsten Tubby jig/Trigger X Mustache worm combo (deadly), rigged on 2lb Sufix mono. I like TUCR Precision Noodles for fishing panfish as it has a tip light enough to detect fussy bluegill bites, but yet has the backbone to handle the occasional walleye or pike.

The ice is not safe on many bodies of water. Open water, bad ice, and fresh snow cover has made it even more difficult to distinguish good ice from bad. Always use extreme caution and carry picks with you at a minimum. Rope, a spud bar, and a buddy are not a bad thing to have along, either.

I think ice conditions will improve dramatically in the next 2 weeks. Stay safe, IDOer’s.

Andy

The stud of the day. My buddy got to “tango” with this pike, on a 13 Tickle Stick/6061 combo. Not exactly fit for toothy critters, but after about 10 min and both him and I freaking out, we had this big gal topside. Measuring at just over 41″, she went back to live another day. Gorgeous fish.

procor
    Mounds View, MN

Beautiful gills!

TripleA
    Blaine

awesome! Great fish. With the Mustache worms what type of jigging action were you using to catch the gills and how did you rig the worm? Looks like you had almost 2.5-3″ of ice too?

lrott2003
    Wisconsin

I keep hearing people saying their fishing on 2-3 in of ice. Is that really safe???? I am relatively new to ice fishing and want to hit the ice. Just wondering what is considered safe ice.

Andy Fiolka
    Boise, Idaho

No is “safe”, you just have to use your head. Take all necessary precautions, go with a buddy, have a set of picks, and also a rope.

Trust your instinct, when in doubt, don’t go. That being said, 3″ of clear ice is surprisingly strong. Also remember that no two bodies of water freeze the same, even in the same geographic region.

I noticed a few typos in my original post. That’s what 3 hours of sleep last night did for me. Apparently, this forum wont let a guy edit a post. shock

Stay safe fellas.

mbenson
    Minocqua, WI

Andy:

You usually get 24 hours to post edits, so that is unusual… Great gills!!!

Mark

Travis Swanson

2 inches is usually the start of walking time…..those of us down south usually get on this or a couple more…..water movement and snow conditions will play a major role in if its truly safe or not.

Darren Prisinger

Very nice! I planned on fishing today, but with the Winter Weather advisory up here in Northeast SD, I didn’t bother. I’m only 22 miles from Waubay lake, so it sure was tempting.

Andy Fiolka
    Boise, Idaho

This is kind of an ominous sight, through thin ice… And it’s not even her whole head! Don’t let your kids swim here, lol

hamms
    Mn

Nice fish! I can’t wait to get out !

scmelik
    South Dakota

nice work Andy. Lets hope we get some good winds to clear off the ice a bit and let it build alittle more before we get anymore snow. I hope to get up your way over thanksgiving weekend and see what sort of damage that I can do.

Frenchman
    West Central Indiana

Awesome fish Andy! I have always loved the colors or gills! What is that silver reel you are picturing?

Andy Fiolka
    Boise, Idaho

Hey @Frenchman,

Since both reels are kind of silver, the spinning reel is a Shimano Sienna 500.

The inline is my buddy’s rig. That’s a 13 Fishing 6061 Black Betty. Spendy, but a nice piece. I’m still a spinning reel guy myself, although if I were to try an inline, it would be the 6061.

Andy

Andy Fiolka
    Boise, Idaho

@scmelik

Exactly. The snow was starting to blow and drift up on the ice. Bad areas noted during Saturday’s drive were covered with snow on Sunday. While there is fishable ice in some areas, other places had barely an inch. Without a spud bar, one could easily walk from 3″ onto 1″ or less and not know it with this fresh snow. Be careful guys.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.