Duluth Area Reports?

• ssperch
    Participant
    Hudson, WI

Hi All,

I am new to salmon/trout fishing the great lakes. I am hoping to get out on Superior in or around Duluth sometime soon. I was wondering if anyone had an update on the bite up there as well as what the main boat launches are in the area.

Also, is there a good bait shop to contact for up to date info up there? I am still working on a tackle collection for salmon/trout and enjoy picking up that stuff at the local spots if I have time before getting out.

Any input is much appreciated!

Tight lines

Ben Brettingen
    Mississippi

Marine General is a great place to find anything you need Salmon/Trout related. They also will point you in the right direction for fishing locations, baits etc.

biggill
    Participant
    East Bethel, MN

For sure Marine General is your best bet for up to date info. I try to stop in whenever I go up to get a report and stock up on more spoons.

I’ll post a report once in a while, as will James or Mark Bruzak, but typically they’re few and far between.

muskeye
    Participant
    Duluth, Mn

I’d probably launch out of the McQuade safe harbor up the shore from Duluth. Sounds like the bite has been going on between there and Two Harbors. Sounds like planer boards and stick baits are doing decent right now. Marine General definitely should be able to point you in the right direction and get you the right baits. I don’t fish the Mn Side much, so don’t have much helpful info to report.

ssperch
    Participant
    Hudson, WI

Thanks for the info guys! Sounds like Marine General is the place to start. Hopefully I am able to get up there in the next month or so!

Any reccomendations on a cheap place to stay or camp around McQuade harbor?

biggill
    Participant
    East Bethel, MN

Here are a few campsites in the area:

Kinfe River
    Penmaralter Campsite – just before Two Harbors
    Two Harbors Municipal

I usually stay at Penmaralter because it is a little more open and they seem to always have a spot for me. They are also pretty strict about their rules. Makes for a quiet campground at night.

Let us know when you plan to head up. I’m trying to get up there a couple more times before our baby comes in early oct.

mark-bruzek
    Participant
    Two Harbors, MN

Bite is very off this year, compared to years past. As the water warms the lakers will begin to go deeper. As for the salmon this year, if anyone knows where they are they are not saying.
    I will be going up this next week myself to Grand Marais on a family vacation and will most likely be trailering down to at least two harbors if not knife. I will sent you a friend request so I can PM you.

biggill
    Participant
    East Bethel, MN

Bite is very off this year, compared to years past. As the water warms the lakers will begin to go deeper. As for the salmon this year, if anyone knows where they are they are not saying.

Mark, my experience this year has been complete opposite. I’ve had a much more difficult time finding lakers. And the lakers I’ve found were really deep.

I’ve found the salmon right on the surface near th. I mean right on the surface eating bugs. I’ve even tried casting to them while I’m trolling by.

Even got one salmon in a big bug slick 10 miles out. Find the bugs, find the salmon. No big ones though. Mostly 18-22″.

M. Leslie
    Participant
    Twin Cities

Any reccomendations on a cheap place to stay or camp around McQuade harbor?

If you’d rather not camp, Cape Superior Inn is right next door to McQuade. Nothing fancy, but I stayed there last year one night on a last minute mid-week trip. Mid week rate was ~$90 I think, which was $30-$40 cheaper/night than anything available up the road in TH or down the road in DLH at the time.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.