dock cages

• broncosguy
    Participant
    Blaine, MN

anyone have any ideas? we have the normal wood frame with the wire, but the snapping turtles are getting pretty aggressive and tearing into them. we usually fish a day or 2 then clean for the Saturday night fish fry with the family. My mother in law definitely does not want the “washing machine basin” either.

Thanks-
    Broncs

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Are you using the 1/4″ mesh fencing or what are you using for the outside of the basket? I’ve had good luck keeping snappers out using 1/4 mesh but then I don’t recall ever having any giant turtles having a go at the basket either.

broncosguy
    Participant
    Blaine, MN

this pertains to the over night holding – with 5 in the family the daily limit is not worried about we catch enough for a family meal plus the in laws to eat so many at all 25 tops to feed us all when we find them.

i will give anything a shot. chicken wire doubled and tripled was no match. we are talking the size of man hole covers. last year went to net the fish out as we put a rock to keep it on the bottom. and looked down. asked who put the monster rock in the live well….um no rock….snapper and my feet were about 2 feet from both ends. he was heavy. let him go father in law wanted him for soup though.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Wow. That’s a big turtle. I can see where one that size would be a potential problem. 1/4 mesh is stronger than chicken wire but you still might not be able to keep out a giant snapper. I’ve had some smaller ones try to get in and they didn’t make so much as a dent in the cage.

Gary Sanders
    Participant
    Lake Wisconsin

Perhaps catching some snappers and putting on a turtle feed may be a solution. Some of the best wild game you can eat. Check your local regulations of course.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Operation Keep the Turtles Out- ENGAGED!

How about some expanded metal panels?

http://www.nilesexpandedmetals.com/nem/industrial_meshes.asp

Available in steel, stainless and aluminum and a variety of thicknesses.

If a turtle gets through this stuff… best to keep the kids out of the water!

I’ve seen similar products at Home Depot so my guess is you’d be able to pick something like this up at most lumber yards or serious hardware stores.

broncosguy
    Participant
    Blaine, MN

yes it is ok where we are at, and have thought that. but that is soup for a week at that size. i was honestly thinking i might have to go to chain link and double it. lol

mwal
    Participant
    Rosemount,MN

We made a box out of aluminum panels with 1/4 inch holes drilled in it. Our neighbor uses a blue plastic barrel with holes drilled in it. both certified coon and otter proof in 40 years of use.

Mwal

ptc
    Participant
    Apple Valley/Isle, MN

Look for welded wire fence panels. Similar to this.

http://goo.gl/Xev9Bh

You don’t need rolls this large, but this should give you an idea of what I mean. They do make this in fairly tight mesh, and with heavy gauge wire.

My concern with expanded metal is that it tends to have sharp edges and the fish you are trying to keep alive may have a high mortality rate.

On a side note, James, I have been looking for a roll of expanded metal for another project. Your link brought that project back up on my list and may have solved it! Thanks.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.