Dinner, drinks and a muskie show

• James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

The wife and I got out of the house for a bit today and went to Maynard’s on Minnetonka for lunch and a couple cocktails. While we were there a 40 inch muskie showed up in the shallows next to the docks and put on a show that I found rather entertaining. This muskie had the program figured out. Bluegill are hard to catch when they’re focused on not heing eaten. Less so when they’re distracted. This fish knew all it needed to do is sulk in the weeds and wait for people eating at Maynard to distract the gills by throwing bread or french fries in the water. When people did this the gills would get reckless and Mr. Muskie would pounce. Twice I got to see this guy coil up and unleash on a gill. I didn’t catch him in the act with the camera although I did try.

The next time you’re at Maynard’s ask the hostess for a seat near the stage. You might get to catch the food chain in action!

Attachments:
    1. downloadfile-21.jpeg

2. 2014-08-30-16.03.45.png

joc
    Participant
    Western and Central, NY

Awesome Jim!
    I once saw an very small between(6 – 8)” pike stalking a school of small minnows in the shallows. It stayed ~ 2′ behind the main school of minnows and waited for a straggler. When one got close enough “and it was a good judge of distance” it snapped one up. I saw it nap 2 in 15 minutes.

jeff_huberty
    Inactive

Sounds a lot like BK in the Spam isle. )

wkw
    Participant

That right there is funny. I don’t care who y’are.

youngfry
    Participant
    Northeast Iowa

Its unreal how fast those suckers are! At the resort we stay at there is a musky thats about 39″ that the kids feed off the dock. They’ve been feeding her for a few years now. She comes up most times in the early evening so the kids go get their poles and catch a little gill… toss it in and BAM!!! They love it. They’ve found that she will also readily eat crayfish but not frogs. She also doesn’t like dead fish… only the live ones.

***I do not normally condone the feeding of wild creatures… but in this situation, the musky comes up anyway and its a cool learning experience for the kids.

Tim Bossert
    Participant
    Cochrane, WI

That is cool as hell! Amazing what we can learn by simply paying attention.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.