Detecting a sturgeon bite?

• mr. pike

So I’ve been out a couple times this year in Bayport/Hudson. Fish jumping around. I caught 2 small ones but the funny thing is that I didn’t even know they were on till i started reeling in to check bait and move locations. What am I missing? I have one Tiger rod in a holder and one in my hands fingering the line trying to feel a bite. What’s the trick?

mr-special
    MPLS

i dont think your mising anything. for me biggest thing ive notice is to try n keep boat swing to a minimum. which is easier said then done sumtimes out on the croix.
    then there are those times that they just dont show any indication of biting at all. ive caught sum nice size fish, just re-checking to make sure i have bait. kinda nice surprise at times

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

When people say they bite like a sunfish most of the time that is true…few times less then and a few times more then.

I’m surprised that you haven’t felt a bite by holding the line unless there’s slack in it.

I watch the rod tips. It’s just going to be a little jibble on the end that is your indication of a bite. Everyone is surprised at how small of a bite a big fish has.

Stay at it. Might want to drop your lines straight down beside the boat.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Agreed with the above. I’ve had some double the rod over in the holder, but that is rare. Most often, it’s a light bite that wiggles the rod tip. Sometimes, though, you get no indication and there is just a fish there when you reel in. You’re not doing anything wrong.

Mike Anselmo
    Wisconsin

When you feel the fish pick it up do you hit them right away? Should you let them eat it for a little bit?

dtro
    Inactive
    Jordan

My theory is that they bite the same way every time, just that conditions dictate how the bite is transmitted on our end. Wind, boat waves, current, rod action all play a factor. If the wind is blowing upstream and creating a bow in you line, you aren’t going to really be able to detect the bite, in this case, you will either miss the bite totally when they spit it out, or your rod will be doubled over by the time you figure it out. My thought is that a rod doubled over happens from mis-attention, not the way they bite. Eventually all bites will turn into a rod doubled over (or clicker if on free spool) if you wait long enough.

As mentioned, holding the rod and fishing vertical helps quite a bit in windy conditions in fact sometimes I will purposely let the sinker bounce up and down in the mud , for whatever reason it works for me. I’ve also quit using a rod holder for sturgeon and now just use the ol lean on the side of the boat tactic. I rarely if ever take my eyes off the rod tip, and as soon as I see a tiniest of bounce I pick up the rod and feel for a fish. I’ve found that sometimes a simple lift out of the rod holder can cause them to spit it out. With the lean tactic I immediately tip the rod tip down to give em a little slack before tightening up things and going into the circle hook sweep.

This year my eyes have been opened to using bells and now 3 trips out I’ve seen positive results! Mostly in the fact I can take my eyes off the rod tip and turn my headlamp off for a while or take a look at my phone, or eat a sandwich, or get a few minutes of shut eye. Then its just a matter of listening well.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

They don’t hit and run like most fish. They don’t have to. Once they find the bait on the bottom they sit on it and suck and chew. That’s why the bite is always light. The rod doubles over if they are done and move on, but the hook catches them.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Do any of you use the glow in the dark sticks that clip to the end of the rods for night fishing? Where is a good place to get them?

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

They don’t hit and run like most fish. They don’t have to. Once they find the bait on the bottom they sit on it and suck and chew. That’s why the bite is always light. The rod doubles over if they are done and move on, but the hook catches them.

Being the armchair sturgeon fisherman…..I notice when using hair rigs for suckers especially during cooler/cooling waters is they will suck in but when the hook does penetrate some tissue a lot of em will just sit on it, knowing something’s wrong. Maybe I give them too much credit, I just don’t see any fish sitting and munching on your bait for 10-15min then only when you reel in to rebait they are there, they were alarmed to something. Happened a lot this early spring, lil during summer, and seeing it more nowadays again.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I think every sturgeon fisherman has experienced that. Leader length might be a factor in detecting those bites. Too long and it may take some time for the sturgeon to take up any slack in your leader.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I should have said IMO, I am not a sturgeon or diver so I don’t know what it going on when they bite. I always picture the plecostomus I used to have when I had aquariums. When I would sink a chunk of frozen shrimp, the non-bottom feeders would swoop in, tear off a chunk and take off. The plecos on the other hand would get there mouths on top and sit there, sucking and spitting the shrimp when they ate.

On a side note, I think one of the ponds near me has 1-2′ plecos, maybe larger. I want to catch one.

boone
    Woodbury, MN

I’ve never tried bells but I’ve read a few post where people are saying good things about them. Any advice on what type of bells work best? I did quick google search and see that there are some combo units that have both bells and lights. I’ve never used lights either so maybe I should try that too.

Thanks,

Boone

dtro
    Inactive
    Jordan

Bells

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Oh no. Dtro’s hooked on the bells. )

I agree with Darren, they always bite the same. conditions dictate how we feel the bite.

Gotta keep them lines tight.

If you haven’t figured out how to anchor your boat tighter than a knats ass in wind, you’ll struggle detecting bites on windy days.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Bells

Those would jingle if the wind blows…I take the spring/bell off of the clips, and zip tie the spring right to the rod, so the bell nestles tight against the rod. That way, only a sturgeon bite sets off the bell.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

You can see where i put the bell on my rods in this pic.
    Kinda froggy picture.

Attachments:
    1. photo1-3.jpg

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

I keep rods in the rod holder, and upon a bite, i reel down WHILE IN THE ROD HOLDER until she’s doubled over. Then, i take it out and fight the fish.

They will definitely drop the bait with any jerks of the rod tip.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Not to promote a product…but…

This is where the Folbe Advantage rod holders shine.
    See the nibble, grab the rod, lift up and slightly away from the fish and start reeling. All that’s needed is to keep the slack out of the line mostly because I like to go barbless for sturg and channels.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Mostly in the fact I can take my eyes off the rod tip and turn my headlamp off for a while or take a look at my phone, or eat a sandwich, or get a few minutes of shut eye. Then its just a matter of listening well.

Exactly. Fishing is a time for relaxing!

Attachments:
    1. IMG958988.jpg

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.