homemade rod holders!!!

• natureboy
    Participant
    LaCrosse,WI

check it out. I built this rod holder set up this spring for my bass boat. I used 2″ inside diam. pvc but you could tailer it to whatever size rod you use. I didn’t glue the tops becuase then i can still swivel them. they stay in the boat just by the 2×4 T section but i throw a rope across just for good measure. It is super light and goes in and out of the boat effortlessly. To attach it to the 2×4 you need to get a steal floor flang from. Print this picture off and take it into your local hardware store and they’ll help you out! you could also expirement with different base heights. Hope this helps some of you. I think total cost of EVERYTHING comes out to about 6-7 bucks each (four rod holders)

Kevin (NB)

Whiskerkev
    Participant
    Madison

That has got to be the best equiped bass rig I’ve ever seen. Most guys I know with rigs like that are not patient enough to catfish for more than an hour or two. I bet you get some funny looks from traditional bass dude. They probably think you know something they don’t. I’ve been looking for a new rig but hadn’t considered a flat top.

natureboy
    Participant
    LaCrosse,WI

I hear ya. def get some wierd looks. Especially when i’m out bass fishing before i set up for cats and the kitty poles are hanging out the back while I’m flipping banks!

mplspug
    Participant
    Palmetto, Florida

This guy wants me to extend his appreciations for your instructions.

I kid. That’s a damn good idea McGyver

Whiskerkev
    Participant
    Madison

Quote:

Especially when i’m out bass fishing before i set up for cats and the kitty poles are hanging out the back while I’m flipping banks!

Just tell them the cats require lively bait.

flatheadwi
    Participant
    La Crosse, WI

Quote:

That guy is freaking awesome. Anyone who puts their imagination and effort into finding ways to move around and sit comfortably out on the water is cool by me!

(However, I do hope he knows how to swim. )

dan-larson
    Participant
    Cedar, Min-E-So-Ta

He is obviouly on that boat manufacturers pro-staff, he’s got the logo tourney shirt on.

flatheadwi
    Participant
    La Crosse, WI

You know, if the basic concept worked, I think I’d have to go for a little bit more sturdy seat (I don’t trust lawn chairs) and maybe even get all fancy and do some shaping on the floats to streamline them. Maybe a rudder to prevent the sit’n’spin effect.

tanders
    Participant
    Rush River, WI

Quote:

Whiskerkev
    Participant
    Madison

That rig is fine for most water. All he needs for the rest is an outrigger.

farmboy1
    Participant
    Mantorville, MN

What a clown, no Beer holder

rushing
    Participant
    Mn

Quote:

That is all kinds of awesome!

mplspug
    Participant
    Palmetto, Florida

Ok, I didn’t mean to hijack the thread. Time to get back to the rod holders. I made similar rod holders for shore fishing the cat tourney. I wasn’t sure how well they would work, I knew the shore had to be sandy and soft. I took PVC and cut it in half at an angle. That made 2 holders. The angle was to make it easier to start pushing it into the sand. It worked like a dream.

aanderud
    Participant

those holders look great. I would have to mount them to the boat with a couple of bolts, screws, or at a minimum some kind of C-clamp, but otherwise a great looking rig.

Thanks for the pics.

flatheadwi
    Participant
    La Crosse, WI

They do look great – the only drawback I can see is having to pull the rod out of the PVC when you’re getting a hit. They’re a little tall and facing out of the boat, so you kind of have to lean out quite a ways, don’t you? If you could cut the PVC so that it resembles a Scott’s (cut top off in the front section and bottom off just behind the joint) so you could pull the rod toward yourself and take it out straight up it’d be nice. Not sure if that PVC would still have the strength that way, but it might be worth a try.

Mudshark
    Participant
    LaCrosse WI

Something like This one? ?? scroll down a bit…..

flatheadwi
    Participant
    La Crosse, WI

Quote:

Something like This one? ?? scroll down a bit…..

That’s kind of what I was thinking – does it work like a Scotty’s? Can you pull the rod upright in the holder, or do you still need to take it out at that angle?

crankn101
    Participant

Quote:

those holders look great. I would have to mount them to the boat with a couple of bolts, screws, or at a minimum some kind of C-clamp, but otherwise a great looking rig.

Thanks for the pics.

Most bass fisherman dont want to drill holes in their boats.(I know, babies) But maybe a ratchet strap around the battery compartment lid would also work.

Thanks for the pics. NB.

Mudshark
    Participant
    LaCrosse WI

Quote:

That’s kind of what I was thinking – does it work like a Scotty’s? Can you pull the rod upright in the holder, or do you still need to take it out at that angle?

You have to take it out at an angle….I made one for shore fishing so that is not a biggie…

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.