Cats on Ice

• kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

I’m workin’ this weekend, and on the one of th TV’s, the In-fish boys are doing a segment on catfish through the ice. Well, it got me to thinkin’. Does anyone chase the cats on Pepin once the ice hits?? I’m not asking for specific spots, just want to know if I’m the only one who is crazy enough to give it a go this winter.

According to Al, the main spots to look are in the deepest holes at the head of the lake. They claim the lake fish and river fish both live here throughtout the winter. Can anyone verify this??

Thanks!!

vern
    Participant
    Richfield, MN

I do a lot of ice fishing for cats, but I’ve never fished them on Pepin. I think there are a few threads about this subject in the archives from last winter. A lot of people have been fishing the Horseshoe Chain the last few years. The cats move out of the Sauk River and winter in some of the deeper holes in the lakes on the chain. It’s a blast getting those channel cats on light tackle. Jigs and cut-bait will catch them. On the big river it might be different. I wonder if the cats will stage in Pepin or just find slower, deeper water in the river itself?

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

According to In-fish, they will stage in both areas. I would be interested in trying out some Pepin fishing if someone else would test the ice for me……

BenjamIncredible
    Participant

I’ve only ever caught huge cats through the ice out on Pepin. Very few eaters. PM me for more photos/videos of the day and night bite from last weekend. Landed about 30 total between me and a buddy. It’s too bad the ice is getting thin. Hopefully it grows a few more inches yet before boat comes.

bret_clark
    Participant
    Sparta, WI

What does a flathead of that caliber bite on it the winter?

catman89
    Participant
    MLPS

They don’t bite its called being snagged

Jimbuck
    Participant

Snagging Flatheads, what a sport.

clicker
    Participant

Quote:

Snagging Flatheads, what a sport.

It works with paddle fish.

Wade Boardman
    Participant
    Grand Rapids, MN

Quote:

Underwater camera and a treble hook?

The guys we were watching weren’t using a camera. They did set up north of where the cats where and basically “jigged” the bait south as the current took it that direction until they got it into the cat pile.

We weren’t impressed with the sight.

bret_clark
    Participant
    Sparta, WI

Quote:

They don’t bite its called being snagged

That is why I asked

catman89
    Participant
    MLPS

takes a skilled fisherman to snag a pile of cats

bret_clark
    Participant
    Sparta, WI

If these winter holes for Flatheads are known about, does the DNR ever set up and monitor them? I know there are not near enough wardens, WI or MN but, you would think these wintering holes would be looked after somewhat.
    Myself, I don’t mind seeing a warden around now and then. It makes me feel like my money is helping protect a resource when I do get checked.

Now knowing channel cats do eat during the winter, I’d like to pound on them for pictures one of these ice seasons

Wade Boardman
    Participant
    Grand Rapids, MN

Bret, the way I understand it there is no law against catching flatheads in the winter. They aren’t protected with a closed season in MN.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Snagging on purpose is against the law whether they are kept or not…no matter what species. MN or WI.

Looks like fun.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

I know I know some where caught in the mouth.

Wade Boardman
    Participant
    Grand Rapids, MN

Yeah, I left that out Brian. CO’s will tell you if they are using jigging spoons it’s pretty hard to prove they were actively snagging cats. Despite the fact they were pulling them up one after another for hours on end.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Just another reason to close the flat season from Nov to March.

With the chances of actually “catching” one so slim, helping out the CO’s by making it illegal to possess them, is the only way.

catman89
    Participant
    MLPS

with the cat meetings you guys have gone to is that anything you guys have ever pushed?

rushing
    Participant
    Mn

LAME

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Quote:

with the cat meetings you guys have gone to is that anything you guys have ever pushed?

It was brought up, but quickly discarded.

It will be a full time job trying to get the MN and WI Dnr to go along with this. More so the WI DNR.

I’ve talked with a number of them (WI) directly. They don’t see it as a problem. You know if one person posts snagged cats on the net there’s 20 more doing it and not posting.

bret_clark
    Participant
    Sparta, WI

WI DNR/TIP 800-847-9367
    MN DNR/TIP 800-652-9093

Two good numbers to have in the cell phone if you were to ask me

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Thanks Bret and yes they are issued binoculars as standard equipment.

mplspug
    Participant
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

I know I know some where caught in the mouth.

When they were yawning.

onestout
    Participant
    Hudson, WI

Do cats taste any better when caught in the winter like bass?

cougareye
    Participant
    Hudson, WI

Not quite like a bass, but better than sturgeon!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

With a closed season, photos like this should be fewer. Not gone, but fewer and if found in a vehicle for tonight’s dinner… the CO’s won’t have to prove it was snagged.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Participant
    Prescott

Bout time. Does this apply on border water too Brian?
    Haven’t kept up on the flathead regs as of late.
    And, is it a change for wisconsin too?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Bout time. Does this apply on border water too Brian?
    Haven’t kept up on the flathead regs as of late.
    And, is it a change for wisconsin too?

The law included the border waters (it wouldn’t make sense if it didn’t).

WI doesn’t feel 25 flatheads per day is excessive so no, it won’t be on the WI side of the Mississippi River.

It ironic that WI has a closed Flathead season on one river. It’s ok to snag them in the rest of the state.

wicathunter11
    Participant
    Ferryville WI

The whole Winnebago system has special regs for flatheads. Season from May through September; bag limit of 1; minimum length of 30 and a slot from 36 to 42 you can’t keep. Sure would like to see more regulations on the Mississippi but I don’t think the majority wants it. All I ever hear about flatheads from people along the river is that they’re the best tasting fish in the river and the bigger the better.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.