Catch pike/bass out of large pond?

• Bob johnson

I have a pond about 250ft in diameter. All I have caught out of there is common carp and smaller sunfish species like green sunfish and bluegill. The pond has willow trees around some of it that go into the water but it has no large branches in the water or large weed patches. My neighbor tells me that he stocked it with bass and northern pike last year but I can’t catch any. Tips? I also caught many baby crappie in spring.

patk
    Nisswa, MN

How deep is it? Maybe winterkill is the answer instead of fishing advice.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

I’d agree, unless its spring fed and depending where you live might have had a harsh winter. Either way being it’s so small I’d think if you spent couple hours tossing out different baits you’d be able to cover the whole thing in short order.

Bob johnson

How deep is it? Maybe winterkill is the answer instead of fishing advice.

I’d agree, unless its spring fed and depending where you live might have had a harsh winter. Either way being it’s so small I’d think if you spent couple hours tossing out different baits you’d be able to cover the whole thing in short order.

The pond has a depth of 29.5 feet at its deepest and is shaped like a bowl but a more gradual slope. And it has a good amount of below surface vegeation but not that much on surface.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Dude find a real body of water. That’s crazy it gets to 30′ in that thing, I would move on to greener pastures.

fishingdad

If it has a lot of small crappie they may have eaten most of the small bass and northern fry. Something like you describe would be very difficult to manage.

joc
    Western and Central, NY

LMBass can grow to a decent size even in a farm pond, so if it’s got the feed – bait they may prosper. They are also pretty hardy. Pike usually need more water to move about in to take off, dought if they do well. How deep is the pond? Is it spring feed, that would help?

Bob johnson

LMBass can grow to a decent size even in a farm pond, so if it’s got the feed – bait they may prosper. They are also pretty hardy. Pike usually need more water to move about in to take off, dought if they do well. How deep is the pond? Is it spring feed, that would help?

Its fed from storm drains across the neighborhood and it is 28 feet deep.

joc
    Western and Central, NY

28′ is deep enough but I still don’t think the pond has enough room to roam to produce nice sized pike even with ample forage. I’d focus on the LMBass they can grow to 6 pounds in a small impoundment with ample feed, will need some weeds however.
    Good luck

carroll58
    Twin Cities, USA

Question you should answer, Are there others fishing it that you may not know of and keeping some halfway (say a 1# – 2# Bass) decent fish?

Are they keeping other fish too?

Without being Spring Fed and only having Storm Water supplying it, I would guess the water gets pretty stagnant along with being over run with lawn chemicals.

What is the water clarity?
    Are the Weeds good habitat weeds or is there quite a bit of Algae?
    Algae would signify higher pollution levels, likely from chemicals, Phosphorus and Nitrogen.

As others have also said, Winter Kill could have wiped out some nice fish, especially without Springs providing fresh water & oxygen, considering the last two winters, especially the last one 2013-2014 where many lakes even with depths of 30+ feet had winter kills.

Have you tried early morning, late evenings and or night fishing?

Good Luck

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.