Can't read a fish tag? Read on

• Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Every once in a while I’ll talk to a sturgeon angler that said they caught a tagged sturgeon but didn’t report the tag number because the tag was to black and corroded. I alway feel that was a missed opportunity for another speck of information on these creatures. I really didn’t understand what people were saying when they say “the tag was so black it couldn’t be read”.

The other night I found out!

After unhooking the fish and getting it’s measurements, I took a look at the tag. Pitch black. I started thinking there has to be a better tag if after time they can’t be read.

With a bit of finger nail scratching that black came off and the tag looked just like the day it was attached…at least on the front side.

I sent in the info on the DNR website and Joel Stiras replied quickly.

“We (the MN DNR) caught that fish on 8/29/06 about 5 miles downstream. At the time it was 41.38 inches long with a 12.95 inch girth and weighed 10.9 pounds. This is the first time that fish has been recaptured and reported. We had a note in the database that this fish had a short/flattened snout.”

So this fish grew just under 8″ in that many years. That seems a little high for the average St Croix River fish…I think.

Check out the photo’s below. The first shot is of the untouched tag and the second is after I did a little scratching.

Attachments:
    1. image66.jpg

2. image65.jpg

dtro
    Inactive
    Jordan

Yeah I’ve had a handful of those too. I think every one of them was the first time it was recaptured which makes sense that all the crud had grown on it. I’ve never had a tag that couldn’t be read though, just had to work at it a bit.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Cleaned up one on the rainy that looked like that. Little elbow grease.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.